1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard to Lakers done?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jul 1, 2019.

1. MD_in_Training

What? Except delaying choice in schools garners me no attention. If l had cable networks, bloggers, celebrities talking about me 24/7, then attention seeking would be a rational interpretation for delaying my decision.

2. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

I agree with this somewhat. These guys have all season long to plan etc. He already is/was in a perfect situation for him.

Dacamel likes this.
  3. likestohypeguy

"doesn’t matter to me either way and it’s impossible to prove"

So why not let's just skip the whole trying to assign motivations behind it, especially with someone who never says anything? And I don't think even this timeline is unprecedented, hasn't lebron & others taken as long or longer before? This sudden backlash is weird... a delay in knowing must have some serious effects on some of our lives, to incite this level of vitriol, about waiting for a decision that is occurring within the designated timeframe?

:eek:

4. MD_in_Training

Vitriol? No vitriol here. Just an eye roll.
    But whatever.

5. JW86

JW86 Member

Well that’s their problem, I like a person just doing what’s best for himself and his family. The media creates this hectic environment, people saying it’s a done deal before the first meetings even. That’s not on Kawhi. And 4th of July is perfect to be with family and talk so there’s that.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

I just doubt that a guy who has close to zero media presence, doesn't appear in the news for much of anything and close to nothing is known about his personal life, all of a sudden decides that he likes all of media to be talking about his decision.

I mean, I could be wrong - maybe a switch was flipped recently. But I doubt it.

I agree with this, only if Toronto was bounced really quick in the playoffs. Or if they didn't even make it there. But because they won a title, it certainly makes you re-evaluate things, especially if he wasn't thinking of staying in the first place.

7. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Agreed, but I can still be annoyed.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

if he goes to LA I'm not watching teh NBA period. Basketball is entertainment, friendship power and spitting on the concept of competition makes it non entertaining. Gotta respect guys like James and RW for being like **** that

9. omgTHEpotential

Giannis too. He even refuses to train together with other NBA stars.

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Given his past history, he probably abhors all the current attention, and wishes he could just make us his mind in peace.

11. JW86

JW86 Member

If he's deciding on a 4-5 year deal for all 3 then he can take even more time than usual since it's big. He's not just deciding between 3 teams who could be champions with him, since the Lakers already have a duo that might be best in the NBA.

I'm surprised Chris Carter thinks the best place for Kawhi to win, make his mark with his brand and develop into the best player is only the Lakers. Arguably, with AD and Lebron there, you will not get the type of treatment you'll have as the lone star in Toronto. There's just no way. The whole country is behind Toronto in this case and how is living in Canada such a bad thing?

If this is the reason he leaves then seriously move the Raptors to the US since it will be brought up until maybe the US and Canada get to some type of agreement regarding banks, money, taxes etc. What's the tax situation of Toronto compared to LA actually?

I still think he will be in LA with the Lakers, I don't think Drake offering some type of nonsense music involvement for Kawhi is going to do much and Kawhi probably will budge to the media pressure. I think many would respect him for going back to the Raptors, but plenty will blast him for it and twist it in a way like he doesn't like Lebron, AD, wants to be his own man, is the type of star guys might not want to play with etc.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He can sign with Raps now and a year later with them Lakers, might as well have told them. We dun know.

So that he satisfies the Raps once more and the Fakers are content with him eventually joining.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Might as well have told who what? He shouldn't satisfy anyone, in my opinion it just makes sense to re-join the Raptors at least defend the title and indeed join the Lakers later since he will. Whatever he does now, eventually he will go home as you said, but reportedly there's no 1+1 option discussed.

14. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

It’s probably a hard decision, because if he burns the LA teams after they put everything on hold, even for 1-1 raptors contract to #runitback

1. He probably thinks will they waste their time dealing with him again, waiting around for him to pick again?

2. Have cap room when his raptors contract is up?

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Told the Lakers org.

That is why it is so mysterious, his camp has not ruled out a 1+1 officially as well.

They said it was unlikely on that day.

Jalen Rose proclaimed 2 years but didn't bother with any details.

BamBam likes this.
  16. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

If it was me

1. Tell raptors quick 1-1. If I want to run it back. Go to L.A next year.

2. Go to the clippers 4 yr deal. I mean I totally understand wanting to move back home and be stationed there.

California weather is like no place in the U.S

In Canada you’re literally out the country.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

“Player empowerment” has jumped the shark and now the media bends over backwards to love every star seeking a free ring or a move to big media markets and if you’re one of the other 27 teams that the media doesn’t care about, tough luck.

18. malakas

malakas Member

I dont think that the Lakers will have even enough capspace in a year for his max thats why the AD trade has to happen after 6 July.
    Also lets be real after the upcoming circus that will go on over there no way he will want to join them next year.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah. I'm all for player movement and player empowerment, but "jumping the shark" is the exact expression to be used here.

J Sizzle likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

Chris Carter said he will decide today,that lakers twitter guy said tomorrow. Lets see who is the real insider.