1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flexibility

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 2, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

the good thing is the same team that finished the season out with a 20-5 is returning to begin the season. that we can likely project to not be stuck in the same 11-14 hole of a year ago. But yeah I'd rather not wait to get lucky and wait for players to shake from certain teams. secure your team now with as much quality you can and build towards the end goal months down the line. Instead of expecting to get lucky and working guys in within a limited time frame

2. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I think it comes down to what happens with Shumpert.

If we can get him to sign on a reasonably team-friendly deal, I'd preserve flexibility so we can trade him + EG + a picks for the next star that inevitably wants out.

If there's something else enticing out there that commands the T-MLE, from what I understand, we won't be able to resign Shump to a decent sized deal, even with bird rights. So I understand that route as well. As long as we are signing an above-average player with a legitimate role.

Worst case scenario, and this is flat out unacceptable IMO, is we don't use the T-MLE, nor do we resign Shumpert as a trade-able salary. In that case, it's not flexibility, it's just being cheap.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed . Having house and rivers from the start SHOULD help protect us from a slow start . It's essential (especially if no superteam forms) that we manage harden and Paul so that they are truly feeling GOOD for the playoffs .

I'd like for a midseason pickup be a nice luxury boost vs an essential need lol .

don grahamleone and YOLO like this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

JaMychal Green and/or Danny Green now. Need a starter so we can move EG back to the bench.

Make a trade at the deadline if you want to acquire someone.

Unfortunately, both of those guys will probably get a better offer from someone else.

don grahamleone and JW86 like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

seems like thats what houston did two years ago. they went in after getting pj and moute and started off strong and it translated over through the entire year with the same team rather then the shuffling this past year. then dare i say Joe Johnson shook loose. but yeah lol

JW86 and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Morey would love to do that, If he thought there was a player available that was worth the full MLE.

Marcus Morris, JaMychal Green, etc are waiting for some big LA deals. After that, there aren’t a terribly huge amount of players that D’Antoni would consider playing.

7. ball king23

ball king23 Member

Jamicheal green

8. ball king23

ball king23 Member

Danny green

9. JW86

JW86 Member

Shumpert is dead weight, move on from that dude.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Well no one good really was available that year . I remember we got brandan wright but he got hurt .

That's the risk every year , that good veterans don't become available or they don't fit .

BaselineFade and YOLO like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh yeah i forgot he shook loose too and was supposed to be a luxury to bring off the bench.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

[​IMG]
    Desperately need maximum flexibility.

Easy likes this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

Exactly! Going into a year saying we are focused on the team that is here in April like Morey said past season is not the right mentality. You need to believe from the get go that you can win it and build in the summer towards that.

14. BigBum

BigBum Member

Paul and Tucker are too old, regress in speed.

Big change needed. Flexability is an excuse.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Neither does the 9th man and beyond if Dantoni has anything to say about it.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Flexibility and TLS are the two cornerstones of the Houston Rockets.

pippendagimp likes this.
  17. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

They being cheap again

18. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

same story every year "we want to be flexible in the buyout market" and crap man spend that money and go into the luxury tax so u can have trade pieces if u need some later down the road and stop old man hunting every year

19. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Players we'd be willing to hard cap ourselves for (via NT MLE):
    Danny Green
    Marcus Morris
    KCP
    JaMychal Green
    WCS

These guys should wait for the Kawhi saga to play out. Lakers and Clippers will have a ton of money to spend if they lose out on Kawhi and these guys are likely targets.

Otherwise, we should use the rest of our taxpayer MLE and sign (or SnT) Shumpert on a large one-year deal.

The hard cap is a tough constraint, so I understand the willingness to avoid it unless there is a difference-maker available.

Would be very telling if we let Shump's bird rights go for nothing

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I usually love this time of year, SL and training camp.

For the first time though I can't tolerate a repeat strategy. If nothing changes, nothing will change.