1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Stephen A. Smith] As of this morning, I am hearing Lakers are serious threat for Kawhi Leonard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rasheed, Jun 28, 2019.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Except when Lebron can launder money to them to star in movies and commercials does it matter? The min is just base salary, ask AD who just give away $4 mil.

2. malakas

malakas Member

The most important difference imo is that they don't have a chance to fix any issues by trading away picks.
    However when you have 3 top 5 players, and you are also in the most desired free agency destination you can get by with 60% right decisions, you don't need it to be 100%.

Anyway in any case regardless if it works out or not for them, if Kawhi joins the Lakers I'm out.

Can't follow a league that a superstar doesn't have even the basic dignity, coming from being a FMVP and champion, NOT to join a superteam like that in LA.

Plenty of other sports out there where players respect the sport and the fans and most of all themselves as competitors.

Ramo$e likes this.
  3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If it was up to SAS everyone would play for the Lakers. Dude is obsessed.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I think Nike is trying to do whatever it can to get Kawhi to the Lakers so they can help diminish his star power. Right now you have Steph, Harden and now Kawhi as 3 of the 5-6 biggest stars in the NBA all not with Nike. With LeBron and Davis there in LA as Nike guys it can easily diminish Kawhi's influence in that large market. If he went to the Clippers he would be the face of that organization who would do a far better job marketing him and New Balance would be forced to step up their game as well. There is a ton of money involved here, the least of which is the deal that Kawhi signs. Right now its not a secret that the Clippers are the better run organization (imagine saying this 5 years ago!) and have an owner whose pockets are deeper than anyone else in the league and not afraid to spend for a winner.

DVauthrin and RudyTBag like this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Kawhi doesn't have star power.
    Just because Toronto fans are always crazy that they even bought Fred Van Vleet's own brand's 500$ hoodies, and they also bought Kawhi's merch's doesn't mean the average fan cares much about a player with such little personal charisma.

If Nike is scared about Kawhi's shoes then they might as well close shop.

Sajan and HP3 like this.
  6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You will be surprised at how many "good" guys sign up for cheap deals to play for LA if they also land Kawhi. I won't be though.

malakas likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Professional basketball is not your average job so let’s not pretend that it is.

BeBreezy and YOLO like this.
  8. jowman

jowman Member

Not as simple as that. Morey got cp3 and overpaid not sure I would say he did everything right.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I have a feeling it'll be similar to the guys they signed last summer after landing LeBron, or the big name that signed for the minimum in Houston last August.

RichieBanks likes this.
  10. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He knows his body doesn't have much left.

saleem likes this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm legit scared of the Lakers if they get Kawhi, that would be instanlty the best big 3 ever, they'll still have the room exception to use which should be around 4.5M so, pretty much the same amount of money we can spend with the tax MLE (5.7M), and yesterday someone posted a tweet of a reporter (can't remember who now) saying this free agency will have like 40% of the player on the market so, a lot of them will be probably available for less then what they're worth, i think this will unfortunately help the Lakers even more.

If we don't get Jimmy and they get Kawhi it's going to be rough for us.

malakas likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Last years Lakers weren’t contenders. This year’s will be.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

They aren't scared now but being in LA with the Clippers and Ballmer's buying power especially if the Clippers do better than the Lakers could be the spark New Balance needs. They didn't think much of Steph when he went to UA and he blew up. Its the combination of Kawhi and LA Clippersthat could prove to be an unnecessary thorn in their side.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You love you some Lakers.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

They could have been, if they signed better players.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

LeBron fan

17. ROXTXIA

LeBron is getting injury prone. AD is injury prone. They'll be fun to watch and on national TV 54 times, but let's not hand them a ring just yet.

18. ROXTXIA

"I felt it pop."

J.R. likes this.
  19. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Stephen LA. Smith

J.R. likes this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Need holic to come in here and say Kawhi to the Lakers is a done deal. Only then will I feel safe

RudyTBag and malakas like this.