1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember this, we are trying to add two primary stars.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 18, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Gordon is worth 10th pick with 70 mil extension.
    Gordon is worth 30th pick without extension.

No extension, less value. teams don’t want him.

2. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I didn’t post this yesterday but the Rockets needed to stir **** up to make Philly aware. It took one day and they moved from we are confident we are keeping him to yes we will trade him to Houston.

Time is not on Philly’s side if you recognize the problem wasn’t the money it was Butler was never going back there. The danger was always another team. What do you know the rumor with the Clippers and Kawhi comes out today. I think Durant is NYC, Kyrie and Harris are Brooklyn and that derailed Jimmy’s other plans with Kawhi staying on Toronto. I still think he does. Kawhi might have left it he had a partner. I think Jimmy is too far down the Harden path.

I still think we can make the opt-in work tomorrow or Saturday using the Celtics. I still think the possibility is there to use Shumpert. We can do the trade with Philly getting picks and cap space but Philly wants Horford. I don’t see the angling Horford here with Butler.

3. basketballholic

Philly wants Horford eh?????????????

LOLOLOL

No they don't.

4. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Check again from more than one place. I am not saying it because I like it or it makes sense to me. I have followed Philly for some time.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

The Killer C’s

topfive and J Sizzle like this.
  6. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Also I have always wanted Horford here. Swiss Army Knife excellent defender when healthy. He is on the decline. I don’t see how we get him here or the value over a cheaper salary.

7. basketballholic

I just checked their ROSTER. Embiid Simmons.....

They do not want Horford. That's misinformation.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I just checked their roster: They 'should' want Horford. That is information.

6ers should also want Capela.

Either guy, in different bodies, different usages allow JE 'load management' and the freedom to play as a unicorn. I'm Stevie Franchise's co-award winner I'm all-in on getting CC & EGo.

9. basketballholic

That's foolish with Tobias and Butler leaving. They need perimeter guys first. Only way they acquire Horford is to shuffle him back out for a wing or guard.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Tobias' leaving + JE 'load mgt' (what a load of...is that term/concept IMO) makes the acquisition of a Horford or a Capela (or someone else like either) gives 6ers the kinds of options they need.

Simmons is really good at what he does, but what he doesn't do is create O for himself or really much at all for perimeter guys. If I were they I would consider a sell-high on BenSi.

11. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Who do you think the most likely second star we acquire after Butler? Love or Horford? Is Griffin a possibility?

12. basketballholic

If we sign and trade for Butler.... nobody for a year. Maybe full mle to brook lopez.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Brook'll break the bank in a week; least as compared to 'exceptions'. Better hope for his baby bro.

14. basketballholic

Jordan Bell for 4 million please.

tc0330 and treyk3 like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27053873/what-warriors-do-keep-team-together

In addition to teams like the Dallas Mavericks and New Orleans Pelicans who instantly emerged as possible landing spots, league sources say there are a few surprise bidders who are trying to land the veteran big man. These include the Sacramento Kings and Philadelphia 76ers.

Philadelphia has its own free agents to deal with, namely Tobias Harris, Jimmy Butler and JJ Redick. Maybe the 76ers re-sign their guys and are never in the market. But if they don't re-sign all of them, they will have cap space and they could chase Horford. Philadelphia has a wide range of options and is perhaps the most intriguing team to watch this summer.

luckyman76, tc0330 and Rasheed like this.
  16. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

@luckyman76 legit folks.

luckyman76 likes this.
  17. basketballholic

Do not believe everything you read.

18. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Weird, news that doesn’t support my boldly stated conjecture...that’s fake news? Innovative strategy there Donald. And particularly entertaining coming from the Holic.

19. basketballholic

So after sleeping on it again last night

I feel even more strongly there is no way that we do a sign-and-trade for Butler. I think D-day for Butler is tomorrow. I think he'll have to opt in. And if he doesn't I think it's over. I think we may actually have another deal in the oven half-baked already.

Consider this:

Butler opting in at 32.7 and trading Capela and Ego out for him leaves us with

Paul $38,506,482
    Harden $38,150,000
    Butler $32,700,000
    Tucker $ 8,349,039
    Nene $ 3,825,360
    Harty $ 1,416,852
    Clark $ 1,416,852
    Frazier $ 1,416,852
    Chiozza $ 1,416,852
    Ponds $ 900,000 (estimate)
    Shump $16,516,181 (cap hold)
    Minimum $ 900,000 (estimate)
    ===============================
    Total $145,514,470

This is over the hard cap. So this means we have to renounce Shump. (We can then put House Jr and Rivers cap holds in there.)

So, in a S&T scenario we are left at basically a cap of

$128 million to $129 million depending on whether or not we cut Chiozza and Frazier before they are guaranteed.
    (Yes, I know this has already been discussed elsewhere.)

You then have the MLE and the BAE to spend to make any significant additions, approximately $9 million and $4 million. But realistically it's $6 million and $4 million since we're hard capped at approximately $138 million.....

And if we spend that then we are stuck. We can only trade down in salary. So you've got $10 million of trade salary to possibly move at the deadline for 2 other guys...gotta fill out the roster minimums.

That's your team...Harden, Paul, Butler, Tucker, Harty, Clark, Ponds, a $6 million player, a $4 million player, and minimums. Maybe we get DJ for one of those salaries. Maybe we can keep House Jr. But that's our team.

And then we hit the offseason...over the cap and in the tax. With basically $10 million to trade with picks for $12 million of incoming salary.

There's no future for 2 seasons. We're tapped out. This becomes the next version of us for the next 2 seasons. Only minor adjustments. And possibly 1 or 2 missing first rounders to boot (Butler deal). I say possibly. I don't know how we value picks in a Butler deal. I'd think we'd get one pick for Capela from somewhere and not have to throw in an extra first. But that's me.

Guys.......this is NOT doable if we intend to compete for championships. It's not enough. It locks us in as also-rans. No trade flexibility. depleted assets. We're the new version of the 90's Sacramento Kings.

So.....even with limited info.........I am more firmly convinced than ever that we are NOT going to pursue Butler in a Sign-and-Trade after the Saturday. We have to get a Butler opt in and a deal or else we've got to move on to something else. There's too many other opportunities out there to get strapped down with a hard cap and not future trade flexibility for 2 years.

RichieBanks likes this.
  20. basketballholic

Do you really think the Sixers are wanting Horford? Don't tell me what you just read. Tell me whether or not you believe it.