1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvard Rescinds Admission Of Parkland High School Student's Admission Over Racist Comments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 18, 2019.

1. TheresTheDagger

[​IMG]

2. MystikArkitect

Baby racists: Kids will be kids! If I had a nickel for every time I jokingly used the N word on a public forum!

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most universities (if not nearly all) have strict codes against the use of derogatory language towards women and minorities. Heck, most companies have even stricter policies. It's hard to think of any company where that post would not get your fired even if made well before you took the job.

What you do at 16 isn't a free pass. There's tons of educational material given to young people that whatever you put out there you can't pull back and can come back to haunt you. We have too long lived in a culture of low accountability. Doesn't matter if you are on the left or on the right, you are responsible for the words you speak or type.

Unless it's on clutchfans which is anonymous.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Both of my daughters were counseled in high school to be careful what they post to social media. The parents were also advised on this on back to school and college prep meetings.

This 2018 Inside HigherEd article also discusses this...

Social Media as 'Fair Game' in Admissions
    https://www.insidehighered.com/admi...issions-officers-view-social-media-applicants

sirbaihu likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Jobs and college admissions are different subjects.

Again Harvard doesn't use social media in criteria im sure.

Unless you are in a public position a job wouldn't fire you for something you did before you got there unless its criminal.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I stand corrected on Harvard using social media. I still stand by my opinion

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Harvard has a code of conduct as most universities do. And yes, what you do before counts - that is their whole admissions process - it's not what you did when you were 18 that makes you a Harvard man or woman, it's your total track record. Everything counts.

This simply is not true.

8. NewRoxFan

And... you would be wrong:

Harvard Rescinds Admissions To 10 Students For Offensive Facebook Memes
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebecc...commencement-speaker-zuckerberg/#317f3dc43dbd

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And this kid's total track record is exceptional including graduating second in such a large class.

ABC plumbing doesnt care about plumber A's social media

10. NewRoxFan

http://press.careerbuilder.com/2018...date-According-to-Recent-CareerBuilder-Survey

B-Bob likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Seems like admission standards is exactly what you're talking about?

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Plenty of Kids who are second in there class who don't get into harvard. There are people with close to perfect scores not getting in.

That is life.

pgabriel likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if Harvard is consistent with this policy i don't have an issue with it

I thought this kid was being singled out because of his notoriety

Edit: i also try to limit what i post on Facebook just in case but the careerbuilder survey is enlightening

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This kid will be fine. The language was inappropriate but some school will give him a chance due to his accomplishments.

Should they rescind their admission to every student whose use of that word is documented?

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Great he can get a job there then

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

ABC Plumbing ought to care. I guarantee there are potential customers who will go with another company if they happen to see Plumber A post something offensive. When I was working, we had strict guidelines about what we did in public, even on our own time.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Often these ivy league schools look at more beyond class ranking and GPA. They look at character through extracurriculars, recommendations and essays.

Plenty of valedictorians get rejected to elite schools.

So this is just under the character bin.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Why don't you go find them and let me know.

Not only are you obsessed, you're also completely ignorant. Question is why do you care about some privileged white kid getting his admission rescinded from Harvard for posting racist nonsense?

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Right, the SJW woke-scold brigade and political conspiracy theories? Original.

You do know that universities have codes of conduct and that racial slurs violate those codes of conduct? You're purporting that the very behavior that violates Harvard norms should be ignored for admittance? To teach him the lesson that there is no personal accountability if it's just the N word?

All of a sudden we have to live in a world where you pretend that racial slur "graffiti" is no big deal because SJW's, politics, and he seems sorry. Your post perpetuates a double standard in the manner in which white kids and brown/black kids are held accountable for their own behavior. This seems to be the growing fight in social justice, where obviously disgusting behavior has to be debated because certain groups of people have no shame and just don't give a damn anymore. Well, a lot of us still do.

The fact this topic is on page 7 is freaking insane.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because i would not like it ti happen to anyone. I would not want to see a black kid denied for some stupid crime when he was sixteen

Its just a sixteen year old kid who did everything else right.