1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvard Rescinds Admission Of Parkland High School Student's Admission Over Racist Comments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 18, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I posted a thread now im obsessed?

How many Trump threads have you posted?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Kids do stupid ****. Often that stupid **** leads them to not being accepted to Harvard such as not trying hard enough in high school, drinking instead of studying, saying racist **** etc.

Think of the ability to have basic common sense and be self aware enough to not say clear racist language that can easily be leaked as a minimum admissions requirement for Harvard.

sirbaihu likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would you admit a student who used racial epitaphs and referred to women in a derogatory way? I didn't do that in private when I was 16 - you know why? Because I knew that it was wrong!

I think it's ridiculous that you expect one of the top institutions in the country should accept people who use this kind of language in a PUBLIC forum.

Conservatives want to make this about oppression of conservatives because they feel they are above the rules and should get special privileges despite their mistakes. But if a black 4 year old girl takes a doll from a dollar store, you guys are the first to say the entire family deserved to be shot.

The double standard is sickening.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

People act like this kid isn't going to be able to go to college now.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im making this about a sixteen year old kid being punished for making one stupid error in light of an otherwise exceptional life of a young 18 whise done a lot more than any of us already

Stop calling me a conservative cause i judge every topic independently. Tired of your strawman i cant win this argument so ill bring up something else that i have no idea what your thoughts are about arrogant bullshit

6. fchowd0311

One stupid error could make a kid have a bad test taking day when they take the SATs and have a low enough score that Harvard won't consider them. We are talking about one of the highest admissions standards in the country.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

But we arent talking about that. Dont wanna argue hypotheticals

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Your views are consistently on the right so that's why I associate you on the right.

Why is it that white kids get this "we shouldn't ruin their lives over one mistake" for things like this, or rape, and what not. But a black teen makes a mistake and gets shot and everyone says, "he deserved it!"

I also disagree he's done a lot more than us already. Maybe compared to you. And if he is so incredible, I am sure this one mistake and the consequences of that mistake won't affect him very much at all. In fact it will probably end up helping him so he is being rewarded, not punished as he takes on a self-righteous attitude about doing something wrong.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The right-wing mantra: "I don't need smarts to compete in the world, I just need to get rid of all them Mexicans, and N*****, and Mooooselems"

11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It's yet another example of the regressive left hive-mind that dominates academia these days.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I do feel that him saying at 16 is more of a red flag than if he were 12-14. But it's so late in the game to pull admission now. Lots of kids have already started orientations.

He was accepted. Then rejected once Harvard got wind of his tweets. He sent an apology which Harvard's Diversity Education and Support accepted, and could've worked with him when classes started.

There's a good compromise that could've worked here. The world doesn't have to be black and white.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why do you ASSume i wouldn't say this about a black kid based on a few threads

Arrogant ass you dont know me.

I dont believe in keeping Hispanics from immigrating here

I believe in affirmative active

I believe in Obamacare

I believe this kid is being unduly punished

Now lets keep it to the threaf topic and stop flailing trying to win an argument

I don't go around saying what you would say about something we arent discussing. ****ing irritating

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Haha. You are either uniformed or trolling.

1) Increasingly, college "smarts" are irrelevant to the today's economy (look at all the former students in debt)

2) there are a lot of examples of people who didn't go to college who are doing very well economically and in their career. I would cite the YouTuber Tim Pool as one of the best most recent examples--didn't graduate HS or college, but is dominating his field.

3) I never said anything about race--that's in your head.

And, I say this as someone who probably spent too much time in college; but I loved the academic world--at least back then.

15. fchowd0311

I prefer the hive mind that spends four years exercising their brains by reading lengthy dry detailed text and then having to organize their thoughts and write 20 page analytical papers referencing the material rather than the hive mind that fries their brain with edgy memes and click bait headlines. The former tend to be a bit more introspective and self-aware.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

There is indeed a "liberal" dumbness more than a "conservative" dumbness in academia.
    I know many "liberals," particularly "feminist" ones, who are not liberal, who are prejudiced, who are pro-war, anti-free speech, and not feminist, in my opinion.

As for the usefulness of college: my university department used to ask me to encourage students to be English majors! I don't encourage students to be English majors anymore. . . .

17. Nook

Nook Member

Why? They can be very choosy. It is the absolute top college in the world for the best of the best. It speaks to his character and decision making.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I didn't make any ASSumption and in fact, it's arrogant for you to ASSume that I was evening accusing you - reread what I wrote very carefully.

The point still stands. Why should this kid get kinder treatment when other kids get harsher treatment? It does appear there is a racial double standard. Or if you want to take race out - what is it that some kids get a mulligan and others do not?

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Given your level of dumbness, I don't think you are one to talk

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is a unique situation so to say he is getting the usual punishment is an assumption at best

Harvard would not know about the comments if not for others who aren't associated with Harvard

Im sure they dont go around searching prospects on social media. Their job is hard and involved enough