1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember this, we are trying to add two primary stars.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 18, 2019.

1. basketballholic

Even if we fail in our Butler pursuit, we are NOT bringing back the same starting 5.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So when is Capela gone again?

3. basketballholic

He probably won't be officially traded until after July 6. But a destination for him will likely be chosen by June 30th with a deal announced open-ended so that it can mushroom into something greater. But he could be gone on draft night and the deal completed on draft night (rather than just announced and not completed) if the right deal comes along. But that is unlikely. And if we do not know his new destination by June 30th then he likely has less trade value than what we thought he had and we're holding him to try to amalgamate his salary into a bigger deal later. The most likely scenario is he's gone on draft night, deal is announced, but incomplete until later in the summer.

This is exactly the scenario with the Anthony Davis. It is announced. And we know some (perhaps all) of the agreed to parts. But it won't be executed until after the July moratorium giving both teams time to improve upon it.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. BigBum

BigBum Member

Horford
    80% Celtics chance
    20% rockets

Butler
    76ers, Nets and other teams 80%
    Rockets 20%

hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

gotta 100% disagree here. the fact that he doesn't come here, merely solidifies the already likelihood that at the very least the starting 5 will be back. and even already confirmed by morey

6. basketballholic

This is why you have to understand the time of statements made and not project too much into the future. You and others have a problem understanding the fluidity of the NBA and the fluidity with which GM's like Morey speak. I'm not going to say he's lying. Because he isn't. We STILL have the same starting 5. If the season started today we'd be coming back with the same starting 5. K?

That's just rhetoric. If we come back with the same starting 5 in October, then Morey is likely losing his job or lost his job. The situation here dictates change. So understand what Morey means altogether. Him and Tilman both have made plenty of statements to balance out the "same starting 5" bit. And keep things in proper context please.

We are NOT going to start the season with the same starting 5. It's basically a given.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i disagree. I fully expect this rockets team to start with the same team. I posted what I'm realistically expecting to happen on page 1. morey will swing as he always will but based on the circumstances, I don't see a big star FA acquisition. I know morey will try though

jcf, hakeem94 and the shark like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, those 2 dudes were also dangling everyone not named Harden, and it led to nothing much.

I believe they are trying their best but I also think it might not be that easy.

And Morey showed he makes mistakes, getting the wrong players or the wrong contracts which he will try to rescind.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

LeBron
    Rockets 99% chance
    Lakers 1% chance

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

I love insider reports and posts like this. To summarize:

He probably, maybe won't be traded until July 6th. But it might be June 30th. Also, it might be June 20th.
    One of those dates might happen maybe. But maybe not. But it will. But only if the right deal comes along.
    But also that is unlikely.
    This is what might happen. But it also might not happen at all if he has less value than we think he might maybe have.

Did I miss anything?

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Vintage Holic thread

ApacheWarrior and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

2 primary stars? Lol, aight...

if Morey brings in 2 primary stars with no cap space and the current assets he has to work with then he’s the GOAT

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. basketballholic

He is very good.

If we bag Butler it's game on. Don't know what's so impossible to believe about it.

Harden/Paul/Butler/PJ/Love with bench of House/Harty/who knows who all else.

If Butler comes...then why is not this very possible??? Not to mention Blake?? Or another big name??

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. basketballholic

I love idiot reports like this.

To summarize:

........... (nothing)..........

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Interesting thought regarding Shumpert. If you can pull off Gordon + Nene + filler for opted in Butler, then you could use Capela to get another star. Maybe say, Kevin Love? Capela + $10mil 1 year deal of Shumpert + draft pick(s) = Kevin Love? Not sure I go for it if I am Houston given Love's injury history and not even sure Cleveland trades Love but they might as well get a younger, cheaper asset in Capela while they can.

It is still just a shame we sat on our hands so much last offseason. Probably the most uninspiring offseason I have ever seen in the Morey era. He better be ready for fireworks after the dud he put up last year.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. basketballholic

Yes. Love or somebody else.

Or we could monetize Capela into draft pick assets, maybe a player or two on a rookie deal and a large TPE. While simultaneously re-signing Shump to a large multi-year deal with the first year guaranteed and multiple guarantee dates on the back end. Then hold until the deadline with all our picks plus pick 14 (or whatever pick we got) plus our youngsters.

I'm not saying it happens this summer. And it might not be Love..or Horford....or Blake. Could wind up being Kawhi or Steven Adams or who knows down at the deadline.

But the key is nailing Butler down with the opt in. If that happens...good things ahead. And even if it doesn't there's still other deals out there that will garner us a great player and the ability to add another one after that.

#36 basketballholic, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  17. ball king23

ball king23 Member

get me Danny Green or Julius Randle we are good lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Holic, you basically just confirmed what he said, lol

You quote him as saying “nothing”. That nothing was him summarizing you in quote.

So you’re basically agreeing with him that your original post was basically nothing.

You should just say “I think DM is going to add two stars and start by getting Butler, and we’ll have a better feel in 2 weeks.”

In which case... ok, maybe indeed. Or maybe not.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

So bottom line is:

"Remember this, we are trying to add two primary stars" means...
    If we get Jimmy Butler, our outlook imp
    roves.
    And if we don't, we might get someone else.

Got it. Thanks for the news-splash.

20. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

I just can't see him opting in...it changes everything he's about. Butler wants to explore and get the "attention" and love from all teams. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he takes 5-6 team meetings just to make himself feel better. He will opt out, it doesn't make sense to opt in for 18 mill and play and wait for a max next year and would the total be even equal to the 5 yr deal from the sixers? phili can give 5 year 180, Clippers/any other team 4 year 141.
    I don't think He's a chris paul type of guy that can wait a year which is why he won't go to LA...if rockets get him will have to be a sign and trade with his max contract