1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvard Rescinds Admission Of Parkland High School Student's Admission Over Racist Comments

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

How do you know his grades got him into Harvard? Top Ivy League schools look at a variety of factors and love a good story. Is political activism post a well know school shooting a factor in his acceptance? It certainly could be.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You have to have grades and extracurricular activities. Im sure his political activism went far but this is Harvard the top school. Im sure he has the grades

3. Nook

Nook Member

Harvard is a private institution. It is also one of the two or three most selective schools in the world. They are well within their right to revoke admission to a prospective student that 24 months earlier made racist and offensive comments.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Lots of people have the grades to attend Harvard. I had the grades to attend Harvard. Life story and extracurricular are what separates acceptance and rejection.

Would he have gotten into Harvard without political activism and surviving a school shooting? Possibly but not necessarily.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

I don’t care, that’s up to Harvard.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It appears to be politically motivated (at worst) or a short-sighted public relations decision (at best).

There's a few concerns I have...
    • Would you want what you said privately among friends as a 16 year old held against you 2+ years later in life?
    • Is Harvard doing this because they have sincere concerns about Kashuv, or because they are attempting to avoid the SJW woke-scold brigade?
    • This appears to encourage/reward the practice of extortion and doxxing.
    • If Harvard is willing to rescind an acceptance over this, to me that also sets a precedent that it would be OK to expel an enrolled student over a similar situation.
    • Would Harvard apply this standard to any other student not named Kyle Kashuv? (I'm guessing not, and that's a problem)
    • Did Harvard give Kashuv his proper "day in court"? It doesn't appear so as they never even met with him, much less spoke to him directly.
    • Kashuv seems contrite and sincere in his apology and regret and that appears to be worth nothing.
    • The mission of educational institutions (particularly the Harvard's of the world) is to take gifted students and expose them to new ideas, refine and channel their talents, and shape and mold them into productive and upstanding citizens. If I'm Harvard I want to take kids like Kashuv (who is extremely cognitively sharp as far as I can tell) and inject that Harvard DNA into them and turn them into agents for making the world a better place. Instead this seems to send the opposite message.
    Obviously Harvard is completely within their rights to do this. It's more of a question of should they. If they want to hold all kids to this standard then I say good freaking luck. If they want to apply this standard selectively then I also say good freaking luck, because it's not a good look.

#26 DonnyMost, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly. You asked how do i know he had the grades?

8. jcf

jcf Member

The timing is unfortunate if his claims that he turned down a lot of valuable scholarships in choosing Harvard.

Apparently, some of his fellow Parkland classmates who disagree with his political views sent the information to Harvard to hurt him.

He is the guy who confronted (and filmed the encounter) the law officer who was too frightened too intercede in the event. It is pinned on his twitter account. Frankly seems like a smug jerk.

biff17 and Nook like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So is it okay for parents to buy their kids acceptance?

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The kid was salutatorian in a class of like 800+ kids (in an extremely competitive HS) and he got like a 1550 on the SAT.

Dude was probably in.

pgabriel likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Is it okay, no. Will it keep happening, yes.

12. dmoneybangbang

This. I don’t like how Harvard operates and handles their business but this isn’t a public university. Yes they got public money, but they aren’t a public university so they get more leeway.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Who is arguing that Harvard does not have the right to do this?

Is there somebody on my ignore list that is posting I'm not aware of?

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's very interesting. I would love to know how many kids got caught up in that, because it says "only 10" were rescinded, implying many more were implicated and had to ask to be spared the ax.

Either way, I think that's a really dumb thing for any school to spend time policing.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I would not assume that. Kids with similar statistics do not always get in. I’m not saying he isn’t qualified, rather that a lot of qualified kids are denied admission.

I was accepted to their law school shockingly. They look at a variety of factors.

16. dmoneybangbang

Just stating my opinion on the matter, no idea if someone is arguing that Harvard doesn’t have the right.

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Why? It is one of the two or three most selective schools in the world. They have the right to exclude people that lack good judgment.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Harvard has a policy to rescind applications of students who have made racist comments in their social media feeds even if it was years before, then the question I have for you is why this kid deserves an exception - just because he is famous and is a conservative?

Why should he get an exception but not other students?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Lets first verify they have that policy before arguing hypotheticals

Harvard doesn't discuss individual admissions btw.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Perhaps the racist student should have had his/her dad donate oodles of money to Harvard to grease the skids...

pirc1 likes this.