1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Shams) Rockets have discussed Chris Paul trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 17, 2019.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, those two things aren't too difficult to pull off.

Absolutely a possibility still.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Davis might change his mind about the trade kicker, but the timing of the trade will not change. In the best case scenario, the Lakers will have $27.7 million in cap space.

Do you think the Pelicans or another team wants to wait until the end of July to have the 4th pick start working with their coaches and staff? That would mean the player wouldn’t get to play in the summer league with their new team.

dc rock likes this.
  3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Yes it is when you factor in that Butler is 4 years younger than Paul. Gordon will be a FA and can walk next year. Locking up Butler for the rest of Harden's prime makes for a much more stable future.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Someone calls. . . you talk

Rocket River

5. DVauthrin

The Rockets are trying to win the championship next season. Giving up both CP3 and Gordon for Jimmy Butler makes them worse.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

1. At this point you have to trade him, too much has come out
    2. partially due to not so smart owner Fertitta yapping his mouth
    3. Rockets organisation really need some different personalities to keep the balance.

7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If they add nobody else maybe. But Jimmy Butler is easily the best of those 3 right now so I'm still not sure about that. I'd rather have Harden/Butler/Rivers on the court than Harden/Gordon/Paul. The first lineup is better defensively and offensively.

You can add someone like Bev or Green to fill the hole left by Gordon.

BigShasta and mike2k132 like this.
  8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Plus too make u look weak, n not trustworthy to other players.

9. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol no it doesnt...butler can actually get around his guy n carry u stretches

BigShasta likes this.
  10. DVauthrin

Signing Butler would take all of the Rockets available cap space. That leaves no money for Beverley, Green or even re-signing Austin Rivers.

Also, with the Rockets operating under the cap in this scenario, they wouldn’t have the MLE or veterans minimum to use.

#90 DVauthrin, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    luckyman76 likes this.
  11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Thanks for making sense. Butler is a freaking 2 way player with dog that's not undersized n younger. Its never bad to add those elements to ur team

fattz and BigShasta like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

harden and butler alone isn't good enough to win a title.

13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Clown shoes. Absolute clown shoes to complain about one of your own players---who happens to be a head of the Players' Union and one of your best players---in front of another team's executive. Assuming it actually happened, but Fertitta has lost the benefit of the doubt with me.

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You may be right about that regardless of how the trade is structured but I'm not 100% sure when you factor in that the Rockets will be shedding $53 million. What's Jimmy's first year number and what is the apron next year?

I also think moving Clint would be an option to get more depth.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Lakers want that, considering they gave up 42 draft picks.

16. DVauthrin

Right now, the Rockets are $16,220,669 over the cap. Trading Paul and Gordon for no incoming salary frees up $52,564,212. That would give the Rockets $36,343,543 in cap space. Butler is eligible for a max contract starting at $32,700,000. If the Rockets gave him a max deal, they would have $3,643,543 under the cap and the room exception worth $4.449 million to fill out the remainder of the roster.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/

*Edited to include the room exception (Thanks to @Vivi for the clarification)

#96 DVauthrin, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    luckyman76 and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

This year's post season was one of the few where he wasn't hampered by injuries but he wasn't as effective as we needed him to be when it mattered most.

This is also year 1 of his amazingly large extension right? It'll be pretty difficult to try to replace him with Gordon because Gordon's past injury history isn't the best either.

Harden and Paul could just suck it up and add spot up 3pt shooter into their skill set and things would be significantly better. I really wish we would move the ball alot more than we have the last few years..

18. DVauthrin

Of course, the Lakers want that. However, it’s not in the best interests of the Pelicans, so I highly doubt it happens.

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If you sign and trade I believe you are hard capped at the apron and not at the salary cap. So not counting cap holds etc it would be more than 3.6. And I'm also not sure how much Nene's contract is factored into that number. I think the Rockets would have more than just the $3.6MM to fill out the roster but I could be wrong.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Room exception too fwiw, around 4/5M if i remember well.