1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Reds

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

If we were still in the NL I'd be totally ok with it, but I've done a 180 on the DH and think it's just a matter of time until both leagues play by the same rules.

2. HTown2017Champs

Admittedly, I actually like it when you see that suuuuuper rare pitcher hits a HR. I was at MMP when Oswalt hit his only career homer. Very special for him. It's not all about offense, it's about the special moments sometimes. IDK I just like seeing "rare plays" but I'm probably in the minority.

Marteen likes this.
  3. SemisolidSnake

Hmm, I made one of my long-winded posts a few weeks ago before he came up wondering if he could play first, since that's typically where you stick the guy you want in the lineup but don't have a place for. It's happening.

4. HTown2017Champs

I thought Blum said yesterday that he heard "Alvarez and Brantley playing in the same OF"? I really don't think a move to RF for Brantley will be that bad, but then again, maybe there's a reason he's never played there outside of Spring Training.

5. SemisolidSnake

Me too. I was so pissed we were going to the AL. Then when I actually started watching, it didn't take long to convert. And for me, it's not the extra bat in the lineup that does it for me. It's the fact that a pitcher pitching a really good game isn't forced out by the arbitrary nature of them showing up in the lineup in an inning.

mick fry and donkeypunch like this.
  6. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

I mean, the American League is at a slight disadvantage in the World Series. The NL teams pitchers have been batting all year. AL pitchers probably feel much more foreign to holding a bat. Plus the NL team just plugs in another batter when at the AL park. This has always bugged me.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's actually the exact opposite.

Pitchers are gonna be poor hitters regardless, the AL has the advantage because their lineups are constructed with the DH in mind. When the NL uses the DH, it's usually just a reserve playing.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

100%. Always hated those close games and pulling the pitcher cause a man finally made it to 2nd base, but strategy in the NL was way more rewarding when it converted.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I do, but I'm for them getting the DH to make the rules consistent.

Not really exclusive to pitchers anymore. Amazing how many strikeouts there are in baseball now.

10. SemisolidSnake

Playing baseball my whole life till college at every position including pitcher, I just never could understand why pro pitchers were such anemic batters. I mean, even a little cage work and some skill at bunting, and you're practically half a batter, as opposed to a sliver of a batter. And that bugged me growing up watching a national league team. At the same time, I still thought, "Aww, man, those ALers, how lazy to just create a rule that says certain players on the field aren't full baseball players." Hilariously, all that childhood annoyance at pitchers and the AL just evaporated once I didn't have to see pitchers go up and bat like children anymore. Out of sight, out of mind.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Same. I really don't understand why people want to see pitchers hit anymore. Yes, there's the rare one that can actually make contact from time to time...but the rest are just bad. I've been on the DH train since the 1st season in the AL. I'm not sure why anyone would be against having both leagues play under the same rules.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

The query to me is that, on most little league teams, the best batter was usually also the best pitcher. It was always the most athletic kid out there, doing it all. After high school, its like all their offensive skills just disappear and they had to choose one side or the other.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't miss Zambrano hitting HRs against us :)

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think Miley better keep the ball on the ground tonight.

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

I was also wholeheartedly pissed about moving to the AL and thought the DH was a cop out for pitchers to engage in bean ball without having to face the music but now I’m ok with it. I still think KC should have been moved to the west and the punk assed Selig Brewers should have been moved to AL central.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What a treat this team has been for this city!

Go Stros!

17. donkeypunch

I do miss Roy O striking his b**** ass out and him throwing a tantrum about it.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Screw these early East Coast starts.

I have things to do.

19. bulldog48

bulldog48 Member

Not to excited about Yuli batting 4th. I guess three isn’t another choice.. His OBP is a meager .288. Even White has a better OPB

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

A few weeks ago, I was told that things like Alvarez at 1B, Reddick at CF, and/or Brantley at RF were simply impossible and thus there was simply no way to bring up Alvarez.