1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics talking about a possible Clint Capela trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Maybe. I just don't know. His stats were done due to situation. I don't know where Boston sees itself with their roster and the cap. And how JB fits with Tatum and Hayward moving forward.

Nook likes this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's obviously a talented player but he hasn't broken out yet. I don't think that will prevent him from getting a lot of money. I believe like we will see with Oubre this offseason, teams will offer a lot in RFA to try to steal him away.

Nook likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Jaylen isn't a restricted FA till next offseason.

I'd absolutely move Capela for Jaylen Brown.

It's probably a move that would hamper you more than you think, but you have to swing hard at this point. High risk.

The Rockets aren't changing their system. So the upside with Jaylen is that he gets more open looks and and in a simplified offense he can either take those open looks or occasionally cu, drive and fast break.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Stats went down cause with Irving healty and Hayward back he lost minutes and a defined role, but you can almost say the same for Tatum considering he was on his second year and everyone expected him to be much better.

Regardless, if Irving stays and they get Davis by moving only Tatum and Smart/Hayward, so, without moving him to NOLA in the first place, they would've have like 3/4 max salaries on the roster with an hole to the SG/SF spot, Brown seems perfect for that role. On the other hand if they lose Irving and don't get Davis, why would they want to trade him? Makes no sense since they would be forced to build around the young guys at that point.

But let's say for some reason they decide to give him away, even if that happens, i'd still expect other teams to offer just better assets.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So you think Morey can just go into a supermarket and pick his favorite young player and Celtics are going to roll over?

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yea that's why i'm saying Oubre this offseason will show how willing teams are to put money on long guys with potential.

I would too. I think Brown has a chance to be a star player. I like Capela and think we have underrated him but Brown is the kind of youth we need. 23 next year and the ability to become a 1B type player. Capela cannot potentially carry a team where I think Brown could.

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. JayZ750

I didn't say it would happen, I'm just inserting myself into the thread and current player of discussion.

AND... while it might not happen, I'm also not undervaluing Capela as much as some. I'm ONLY moving Capela because he's the only way to improve the team. Capela is damn good. Sure, he wasn't great against GSW. I can also look to the fact that he was sick, that he's playing alongside PJ Tucker, Harden, Gordon, and CP3 - a murders row of tall, lengthy, defenders - lol, NOT, etc. Plus there are 82 games and 3 other series to think about. I don't know why Boston is talking about Capela. Hard to see Al turning down his option - unless its for the reject and extend which still has him in Boston. Plus they will go after AD first. I mean they absolutely would want Capela, but given their situation you would think they'd have other things to think about first...

BaselineFade, daywalker02 and treyk3 like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Very strange phenomena on this forum lately.

Just mentioning an idea becomes a declaration of certainty.

MJ19 likes this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

The purpose of trade is to keep Irving and get Davis.
    If pelicans are not able to get vet leadership, they take young players.
    I always think about trade partners bc it is more feasible.

10. JayZ750

Right... just discussing a hypothetical, which is all we have at this point.

And for that matter, for all the "how you going to get Jaylen Brown!" type responses... let's not pretend at this point that Jaylen Brown is some kind of unicorn. He had a down year. He never really plays aggressively. There's A LOT of players his age in the league now that I'd classify as way more upside potential. Etc.

Personally, as noted, I'd definitely bet on his upside, but this isn't James Harden sitting there ready to break out. If he never averaged 20 a game for a season, I wouldn't be surprised.

treyk3 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We also haven't seen Capela eking out his living without a premier passing guard. Irving ain't it.

All his career he had at least one.

I only knew that D'Antoni was more than mediocre without a HOF passer. He still has to develop a jumper.

12. mastan

mastan Member

If Rockets can get DJ then trading Capela for J Brown is very good, even without any other trade Rockets would look better:

CP3/Harden/Brown/PJ/DJ.. with bench EG, AR, KFareid, Hartenstein, GG, House, Nene.

CP3/AR
    Harden/ EG
    J Brown/ House /PJ
    PJ/ KFaried (hope Rockets don't play him at center, he is PF)
    DJ/Nene/ Hartenstein

#92 mastan, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    jamisonrocket likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

such a strange rumor. who on Boston is going to set up Capela for easy buckets? Cap owes everything he is to Harden spoonfeeding him buckets. I dont think there is any traction on this one because it just doesnt make any sense for Boston. Cap cant go get his own bucket, bad shooter, and sporadic on defense, but Im sure Morey would pull the trigger on anything that moves Capela. Sacraficial lambs are back on the menu boys!

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally i agree he's no unicorn, and i'd also be happy to get him, he fits the kind of player we need to add in my view, but he's still a better asset than Capela, three years younger, much more upside, way cheaper contract for at least one more year, and he plays in a more valued spot in today's game. The Celtics have also other guys in Clint's spot, why would they trade Brown for him? Unless we're going to overpay of course...which is something other teams might do too btw, and i'm not sure the Rockets do that when they have literally one single ace left up their sleeve.

And not that this matters, but i was giving a look at some Celtics forums, i was reading three of them early today since they all have a thread about this rumor of Capela to Boston, and basically no one is even naming Brown in this deal, they're all talking about Hayward or Horford, Yabusele, picks...some even say they wouldn't trade Hayward for Capela.

mikol13 likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Absolutely love when people check out other forums to get a feel for a trade.

Rockets fans want Jaylen Brown for Capela
    Celtics fans want to trade Yabusele for Capela.

D-rock, tc0330 and Vivi like this.
  16. JayZ750

I don't really disagree with any of this really. As of now the Celtics probably are more stacked at wing than any position, though, including front-court.

I think there will definitely be too big a Bid-Ask spread for Capela-Brown to get done.

Vivi likes this.
  17. bmd

bmd Member

And that's fine. I just don't enjoy being taken for a fool.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. bmd

bmd Member

I'd say there is very little evidence, if any, to support Codman actually having inside information. And I'd also say the odds are vastly on the side of him making stuff up for attention and the adulation he receives here than him actually having a constant pipeline of inside information that nobody else has access to.

I'm somebody who is all about facts, statistics, numbers, data, evidence, etc. I don't "believe" in things just because they make me feel good. It's just my nature. And I am skeptical of things until I see facts and evidence. And I have yet to see anything from Codman that would lead me to believe that he knows things other people don't.

There was one time on this website when I actually had inside information, and I presented it here. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but it was a few years ago, and I found out that Tracy McGrady was wanting to play baseball for the Skeeters and was working with coaches on his pitching. I didn't speak in any riddles or act coy. I made a thread and said straight-up exactly what I knew and told people they can believe it or not but it's the truth. Then 3 weeks later it actually made it to the news when reporters "broke the story". I was proven correct because I wasn't bullshitting. Has Codman ever predicted anything with conviction that ended up being true?

Corrosion and Embrace the clutch like this.
  19. biff17

biff17 Member

How are you being taken for a fool?

Either you believe him or you don't.

D-rock, jch1911 and amaru like this.
  20. bmd

bmd Member

Taken for a fool from Codman's perspective. If you are taking one for a fool, it means you are presuming the person is stupid. So when I say I don't enjoy being taken for a fool, what I'm saying is I don't appreciate Codman thinking we're stupid enough to con.