1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Landry Locker: MDA will sign extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 10, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Landry Locker reported on 610 that D'Antoni is happy with the contract and will sign it. The agent is upset because it's the first time in his 30 years of representing D'Antoni that a team went directly to the coach. Because of that the agent wants to drag it out, but that ultimately MDA has made it known he doesn't need more money, etc. and will sign the extension as offered.

2. tc0330

tc0330 Member

hope this is true

3. Nook

Nook Member

MDA went straight to Les Alexander when interviewing for the job, including several discussion/interviews wit only Les.

MDA has really mellowed, in the past this would have become a big deal from his end and it would have been a circus.... my guess is age and working for the Knicks and Lakers taught him something.

Richie_Rich, gatsby, cbs1507 and 14 others like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It was his mustache giving him arrogance. He needs it back in time for next season. We need an angry MDA to coach the hell out of this team.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yep, at the end it sounds sad.....Tilman successfully talked him into a contract of his own desire.

tc0330 likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

seems like he just doesn’t have the energy for any drama or conflict anymore

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Thanks for the post. :)

James and the other Rox love MDA. Truly. The chemistry is there partly because MDA allows his players to communicate with one another and the coach, regardless of the situation. MDA allows James/CP and Tuck to give suggestions and then he rolls with them. That's a good coach...taking what your players see and feel on the court and allowing them to have some control.

There is NOT a better option out there for a coach. James is in his prime and MDA has allowed James to show how good he can be. James hasn't hit his ceiling yet either.

We need help on defense, but that's not just a coaching change. That's adding a player or two who play the passing lanes. (Miss ya Trev :) )

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wholeheartedly agree and fervently hope that his lovely wife will finally give her permission for Coach Mike to grow it back, becoming again the coach he was always meant to be. A championship coach, held back only by the loss of a bet to said lovely wife. Free Coach Mike, Mrs. MDA! Save us! Let his facial hair run free!

basso, alethios, csj and 1 other person like this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Please be quiet about Rox players truly loving MDA. McHale was a players coach too and they fired and quit on his ass too.

10. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Well said. It's entertaining to watch a coach go on a sideline tirade, but an instructor taught me years ago that when it comes to management, you treat people the way THEY want to be treated--not they way YOU want to be treated. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but the point I'm trying to make is, the way many here would try to "coach" a superstar like James Harden, or some of the many personalities and egos that play alongside him, would lead to certain failure.

There will come a day when a change will due everyone good. That's just the way it works in the world of sports. But that day is hopefully years off.

Now, let's cross our fingers that the owner opens up his checkbook this summer and Daryl can find a way to tweak this roster for the better.

Hard_foul likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The players stopped believing in McHale's ability to coach the team.

Patience and Nook like this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is well said. I am fine with MDA given the alternatives and situation.

That said... snuck in there is a pet peeve of mine. The Rockets need help on defense. AND/OR offense. They are not as good on offense in the playoffs as many might think. They are I think 6th in ORtg for this year's playoffs teams.

Basically they just need more talent, lol. DM, MDA, Tilman and Harden of course know this...

13. amaru

amaru Member

*sigh* So we've decided to become to new Phoenix Suns. We'll be a darkhorse contender but we won't get over the hump. Too capped out with a coach that's too old to change. Riding Harden and the "no mid-range shots" horse to the bitter end.

Let the countdown to Harden's trade request begin!

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No ball movement, no midrange, no post ups and now no defense. Brace yourself for another 2015 McHale season.

PeterKingX and forchette49 like this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

:D sorry, could not help myself.

fattz, naldodiaz, Reeko and 1 other person like this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

One of these years that prediction will be right, surely!

Gray_Jay, HP3, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  17. amaru

amaru Member

“What am I gonna do, say ‘Oh, let me take the ball out of James’s hand, then take it out, call a timeout, put it back in their hands in the exact same spot they were?" “We just go with it.”

-Mike D'Antoni

In other words: Do something, James!!! I don't want to coach!!

fattz, cheke64 and forchette49 like this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

THe takeaway from me here is "Landry Locker is a person wtf?"

I don't listen to 610 and every other thread where I saw "Landry Locker" mentioned, I kind of half believed it was some oblique reference to rumors obtained about the Rockets from high-level Fertitta Restaurant-related chatter taht were posted on twitter or something.

smp, RocketRed84, Handles and 4 others like this.
  19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

It doesn't matter what the Rockets do. Most people dont seem to be happy about anything!

Mazulis, Deckard and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really hope this doesn't end up happening.

I have a good feeling it won't. MDA and last season's staff were already on board with all those things. If that's what they wanted, they would have kept the staff. Instead they fired all the defensive staff, might fire the offensive staff (who are on lame duck contracts anyway) and nearly fired the head coach.

Tells me they want to change SOMETHING. It's not going to be mid range. It's not going to be a lesser defense. It's definitely not going to be post ups.

Must be they want more ball/player movement and less reliance on ISO ball. That's a win IMO. If they achieve just that one change, we are in a better coaching situation than if we took a risk on an unknown (there are no better proven coaches out there imo).

smp and HP3 like this.