1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans fire GM Brian Gaine

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Jun 7, 2019.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I actually thought that team was going somewhere, until schaub got taken out by a dirty player in that Dolphine game? After he came back he was never the same, and we wasted years dicking around trying to find a franchise qb while using a rotation of shtty back up qbs.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not to beat a dead horse... but knowing what we know now (which drafted or free agent QB’s went on to become franchise types)... who should the Texans have gone after those years they were using the backups?

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Interesting... was the name Easterby mentioned in any of these threads, (or anywhere else on the BBS) before this article?

Despite all the insiders and "expert hot-takers" here??

7. gucci888

Not that I'm aware of, don't even think our own coverage guys like McClain, Brian T. Smith, Berman, etc...mentioned Easterby as a catalyst.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes. The first chronicle article that came out specifically said Easterby would have a larger role in the organization and would be involved in selecting the new GM. He's also been discussed frequently on 610 since he joined the organization. The chronicle published an article about how well regarded he was by players in New England.

desihooper likes this.
  9. gucci888

Ya saw that. Meant that I haven't read anything that the Easterby hire may have started tensions between Gaine and the rest of NRG.

10. justtxyank

Ah. I think that's probably a misreading. By all accounts Easterby isn't that type of dude. Probably more like issues existed and when Easterby offered his opinion that they should make a move it was affirming what they already believed.

11. gucci888

Didn't mean Easterby was the one that personally started tensions but the article is stating that the hire, and subsequent title given to him, set things off. In other words, BoB wanted Easterby bad, they gave him a fancy title to make sure they got him, and Gaine wasn't too happy about it.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Either way, I think its a GOOD thing to have fresh voices, new assessments, and actual swift action going on there.... wasn't that one of the gripes/knocks on the organization for years? Too much of a good-ol-boys club where guys get lifetime contracts?

Sure, everybody's non-favorite coach is still there... but its not the worst thing in the world to try and get him as much help as possible, and have it be from organizations that have been better at it than the Texans have.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

A few dozen times, yes.

14. justtxyank

I have no objection to Easterby. Great feedback on him out there. Would love the Caserio hire as well.

Still, that fits right into the gripe. These are not "fresh voices" because they are guys that OBrien handpicks that are his friends with his worldview AND he is even more empowered.

My biggest complaint about Obrien is that I think in his hubris he doesn't see the need for a different set of eyes. He sees the needs to find a set of eyes that sees it his way.

Both of these front office guys can be good hires and the process internally can still be flawed.

15. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

I think Caserio could be good too. If for no other reason, the article mentioned his help in coaching from the box. This could actually mean some fresh eyes concerning play calling if in fact BoB respects him. Of coarse we may never know since BoB would take all of the credit.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not really, unless it was part of a linked article.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So a coach wants HIS vision to be carried out, and have guys who share that vision and have the track record and capabilities to carry it out.

If I was an owner, that's what I'd want for my coach as well.

In the end, people painted this move as an example of how the franchise is unstable... if anything, I see it as a move to get things to be as stable as it ever has been.

Rudyc281 and csj like this.
  18. raining threes

It was Tampa Bay

Agreed

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. justtxyank

I do NOT think the franchise is unstable personally. I don't see this as a dumpster fire type move at all. I think they will likely upgrade here which is great.

I DON"T think a team should build the entire existence around a head coach to the extent that they don't bring in TRUE outside voices. No offensive coordinator, handpick GMs, etc. OBrien lives in an echo chamber.