1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Bernie trying to get a big raise for Walmart workers, went to the Walmart General Meeting to advocate for $15/hr and more full time jobs for Walmart workers who often times can work there for years without getting full-time status. It was appreciated by the abused Walmart workers.

2. Buck Turgidson

I agree with much of that, but I'm curious how many hourly workers have seats on the BOD at Target, Amazon, Costco, etc.... Since he brought them up repeatedly, I'd like to know.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

None, but this is a good idea, one he's stealing from Warren, of course, since she has all of them; but it's a regular feature of European corporations of a certain size, for example, to have labor representation in corporate governance hierarchy.

Instead we get the sham shareholder democracy and conflict-laden boards who hand out ever escalating pay packages to CEO's in response for a similar round of back scratching the next time around, and it's called "the free market"

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

This is what happens when you let unions die.

biff17 likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Just wondering why he was picking on WalMart (other than it's easy and makes a good soundbite) instead of any number of other companies.

6. SamFisher

Cause he spoke as a proxy holder in favor of a resolution at their annual meeting earlier this week, IIRC.

7. Buck Turgidson

Oh, well that makes perfect sense then. Shows how much I've been paying attention to the minutia of the (has it started yet? did it ever stop?) 2020 Campaign.

8. glynch

Hey, Sam, as you like to point out Warren comes out with good ideas frequently.

As Bernie said a couple of years ago. "Tuition free public college? Medicare for All? Do you think my colleagues are going to say: what a great idea, Bernie? They are going to fight against it tooth and nail. If president I will call on college students to all register and than come to DC o Spring break to lobby Congress"

Bernie is trying to create the movement to implement his and/or Warren's ideas because without the movement is not much different than good ideas many Dem politicians espouse while running and then abandon claiming the Repubs are too tough.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol come on, this isn't stealing from Warren, as you said, worker representation is an idea and practice that has been around for a long time in many countries. Bernie has been talking about it for decades.

The biggest standout between Bernie and Warren to me is, Warren voted for military spending increases, Bernie wants to cut them. Our military budget is going to hit 800 billion by 2025. I think that's an important topic.

10. SamFisher

Bernie has the slogan, Warren has the plan

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah and Bernie had the plan for trying to end involvement in Yemen, and Medicare for all, and many other things. Where's Warrens plan for Medicare for all? I guess all she has is a slogan...

I know someone's shtick on here was that Bernie is pie in the sky and Warren is the actual serious candidate who will "get things done". I guess that's you? We're not going to agree on much then I guess.

And to be clear, I like both candidates and would be happy with either, would be happier with Bernie more though, as Warren's stance on the military budget bothers me.

What do you think of Warren voting to increase military spending?

#371 ThatBoyNick, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  12. SamFisher

No it's that Warren is smarter and more capable than Sanders, at least in terms of policy, but probably overall as well.

Simply but, she is better at policy, probably one of very few senators who is actually good at it. Probably comes from her background.

She formulates well thought-out policies. Further she is good at framing them in a broadly appealing way. Sanders isn't very good at either of these things. That too probably comes from his background as more of an agitator than an administrator, and more of a moral leader than a political one.

I consider this to be relevant to the discussion.

13. biff17

biff17 Member

What has Bernie actually accomplished in Congress as opposed to Warren?

She seems to have actually accomplished more in a short amount time.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think Bernie formulates very good policies as well, and his consistency and integrity is outstanding, I mean out of this world amongst politicians. Bernies been an agitator because frankly, that's the best he could have been, he hasn't had much power, he was relatively unknown, and many of his values/views have been wayyy ahead of his time when compared to his colleagues and mainstream politics, and he simply has never compromised on his values to get votes, understandably, it's been hard for him to get things he has wanted to be done over his career considering the context.

But things are different now, today Bernie does have power, he's a huge voice, with a large and firey backing of people, most importantly mainstream politics has been catching up to his values, Bernie isn't looking to come up with clever ways to compromise to get Republicans and corporate Dems in on deals (I like that), he wants real no strings attached uncompromised change and progression, which has to be forced by the American people. You can try to knock him, but you can't pretend like he hasn't been pretty much the single biggest hand on moving Medicare for all, campaign finance reform, wealth inequality/higher taxes on rich, a living wage, and tuition-free public college further into the mainstream political discussion within the last 5 years.

But AGAIN, I like Warren too. I just like Bernie better, doesn't mean Warren is the enemy by any means. Her and Bernie MOSTLY overlap on values. She single handily brought universal childcare into the discussion which is fantastic, and her proposed wealth tax is nice.

I don't like her indecisiveness on a medicare for all plan, in some discussions it almost seems as if she's willing to compromise on it already, and I certainly don't like her voting for increasing the military budget.

Talking about relevance to the discussion @SamFisher.... what do you think about Warren voting for the increased military budget? It's not a gotcha question, this is my third time asking and I genuinely want to know, it's fine to like a candidate overall but disagree on a few views. For me though, this is a pretty important issue.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Bernie is Trump lite in terms of presentation and nuance, not temperament and ethics obviously. Dude is just full of platitudes and repeats the same phrases over and over and over and over.

He's done very little in terms of actual legislation in his long career as senator. He's too under-qualified to be president.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lmaooo. Trump lite? I should hope this is a terrible attempt at a joke. I don't really know how to respond to something this far off base, all I can say is that it's damn embarrassing to compare the man to Trump in terms of presentation, nuance, and qualifications to be a president.

I'll give you this, he does repeat himself very often, he does this purposely because he tries to ingrain his message to the viewers every chance he gets when on national TV, it's all you can really do with the way town halls, debates and TV news segments work, you get a short time to get your point across on a lot of topics. For those who follow politics closely, the repetitiveness can get nauseating, i'm sure a lot of you see him as an old man who repeats himself like you are trying to portray him, that being said the average American does not follow politics closely, they watch the news for a couple of minutes on TV and flip the channel, he's trying to establish what he's about to those people, and it works. If you watch his personal interviews, you can see who he really is behind his repetitive lines.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I garauntee you that Bernie has a smaller chance of implementing Medicare for all as President than Warren. Bernie has absolutely no history of implementing important legislation. He's good at riling up his base but his base aren't legislators. Wall Street may fear Warren but the DC establishment understands that Warren is competent instead of a crazy haired kook who they will never work with and never take seriously.

DC establishment fear Bernie because they percieve him as a bull let loose in a China shop a la Trump. DC establishment fear Warren because she actually gets **** done and knows what she's talking about.

When I compare Bernie to Trump, don't confuse that with me believing that Bernie is equivalent to Trump in terms of ethics and morals. Bernie shares some characteristics of Trump in terms of how they express policy but their ethics and sincerity couldn't be farther apart. I know everything Bernie says and does, he does out of a sincere belief as he's fought for these causes a long time.

#377 fchowd0311, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  18. biff17

biff17 Member

Why is compromise a dirty word when you have a my way or the highway mindset nothing gets done.

if you can't implement any of your plans they are useless to anybody.

jcf likes this.
  19. SamFisher

I don't really know much or anything about it - I concede that she probably doesn't have the record or longstanding commitment to pacificsm/demilitarization that Bernie has.

I don't think though that that's the most relevant issue here - I think that's a symptom of a corrupted and dying Republic - Warren's plans tend to get at the core of the disease (inequality, a pay for play government, rigged/unfair/uncompetitve markets - all of these things are connected.

20. glynch

Sorry, Fchow, but this post is bs. Responding in kind, Warren is just another Biden, or Hillary that has never met an increase in the war budget she did not vote for, which makes her plans merely aspirational. A Republican till the age of 47 which she blames not convincingly on being unconcerned about policy not related to her bankruptcy and related work which helped her get tenure as a professor. Terminally cautious, like most of the other candidates she is trying to espouse the issues which Sanders astounded the DP insiders by showing popular. Although sort of stuck on not being a darling of Wall Street, she is careful to not aggravate too much the health care industry or the military industrial complex so she is very "nuanced" to put it kindfly on issues possibly irritating these industries or the centrists in the Democratic Party who have been so decisively beaten since 1980. I

fchowd0311 likes this.