1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Red Sox @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 24, 2019.

1. HTown2017Champs

I'm no medical expert, but, would this have been avoidable without that slide for the ball? Or was his hamstring already worn out and the pull was something "waiting to happen"? This just really, really sucks. Also, the trickle-down effect. I'd love to see more Jake, he's having a great year in both the field and at the plate, but when he's not in CF? Not a fan of Kemp there (gonna tell it like it is, he's a little small for CF for my tastes), I'd rather see him at 2B/LF/DH, and Fisher in CF if Jake gets a rest.

2. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Yep. Grade 2. Figure anywhere from June 21 to July 19 for his return. That would be 4-8 weeks. My bet is that he returns shortly after the All Star Break.

3. SemisolidSnake

I'm also not a medical expert, but I've had a lot of annoying injuries in sports over the years, and they mainly just seem like freak occurrences, particularly when it comes to sprains and strains. I'm sure those sorts of injury chances are magnified by insufficient stretching, but I doubt that's a problem for professional teams with full training staffs and strict body maintenance programs.

Springer's slide was definitely awkward enough that it could fall within the freak occurrence realm of things.

It's definitely made me think a lot about how guys keep themselves viable throughout a 162+ game season, and there's got to be a certain amount of caution built into that equation, I guess. When Jake dives for a ball for example, it's incredible impressive, but it's also incredibly smooth. He's so good that he's trained himself how to make catches like that without flirting with injury. Jake's reduced the danger of that play, so he doesn't need to attach as much caution to it. Springer's not as polished in that regard and is so energetic and wants to help his team win so badly that he chose to go for a difficult awkward catch that really wasn't worth it.

Growing up, I always hated the idea of guys not playing at 100%, diving for balls and running full sprint to first and such, but as I got older, I started to realize just how easily one unnecessary, uncontrolled movement can wipe you out. It's a part of the game that has to be considered.

4. SemisolidSnake

I hate Ken Rosenthal's stupid bowties. Someone needs to send him a few Nolan Ryan brand bowties.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

When did baseball get rid of the “disabled list”?

6. Buck Turgidson

Goddammit, I have to listen to Joe Buck. Can't get the dinky FM station out of Austin that carries the Stros where I'm at.

It's been a few years I think.

Goddammit Peacock throw strikes.

7. HTown2017Champs

Unpopular opinion: Joe Buck isn't that bad (anymore). Don't get me wrong, he used to be really bad and boring, but in recent years he's changed, and gotten much better, and brings more passion and excitement to his calls.

8. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

More Boston gear at the bottom of the page. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

9. HTown2017Champs

So weird seeing Price wear #10. Had no idea he changed his number until now.

10. Buck Turgidson

Joe Buck and Boston garb, glad I started drinking early today.

Brad listened to me though...4 pitch leadoff walk then strikes out the side on 12 pitches.

11. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Ball 5 to bregman

12. Buck Turgidson

I was wondering why they were showing their pitching coach on the bullpen phone a few pitches ago.

Wow. Price out after 15 pitches.

13. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

This changes things up tonight to say the least.

14. Buck Turgidson

That was a freaking moonshot. Assist from the roof. STFU Smoltz, it's the freaking ground rules.

Don't throw that one again Brad.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. ASTR0nomical

ASTR0nomical Member

I love how buck was boasting about price then boom, taken out, lol!

16. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Smoltz “they’ve gotta check that” check what? Oh you mean change the rules for you !Then he calls Reddiick the right fielder. What a b*stard he just can’t stand the stros

17. Buck Turgidson

What the hell was Chavis looking at, there?

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'd still rather listen to Smoltz than A-Rod.

Rox Addict likes this.
  19. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

20. Buck Turgidson

Yes, tonight he is doing better at pretending he likes baseball. He does have more energy, maybe he's doing blow again?

mikol13 likes this.