1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Let's go ahead and cast the votes anyway.

Nook likes this.
  2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

3. Nook

Nook Member

Don't you get sick of posting these cartoons over and over? They are not terribly creative or funny and usually are at a 3rd grade level.
    I can see one every once in awhile but you post them a lot.

I would be careful posting them so often or @KingCheetah will start posting pictures of cheetah's playing or pictures of robots taking over humanity again.

All I am saying is tread lightly and consider your audience.

Deckard and biff17 like this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Because if anyone has a finger on the pulse of Democrats, it's Rush Limpaugh.

Deckard likes this.
  5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

As weird and perhaps as inconceivable as it may seem to you, I am not really looking for your input on what I should want to post here.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As weird and perhaps as inconceivable as it may seem to you, everyone knows where your input comes from.

Deckard likes this.
  7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Politico reports that some black lawmakers are promoting Biden/Harris as a 'Dream ticket'.

Some Black Lawmakers Pitch Biden and Harris as a "Dream Ticket"

The Congressional Black Caucus may have found an answer to its Joe Biden dilemma: Vice President Kamala Harris. Some black lawmakers are agonizing over whether to back Biden or two members of the close-knit caucus — Sens. Harris and Cory Booker — who are also vying for the White House, according to interviews with a dozen CBC members.

But with the former vice president jumping out to a huge, if early, lead in the polls, several CBC members are warming to the idea of a Biden-Harris ticket to take on President Donald Trump. “That would be a dream ticket for me, a dream ticket!” said Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.). “If she is not the nominee, that would be a dream ticket for this country.”​

With the Democrat left obsession with "political correctness" and "Identity politics," it is likely that more than just black Democrats will find this combination appealing. In fact, who else is Biden going to pick? Not Bernie Sanders. Probably not another white male. Maybe one of the white females. But why do that when he can pick a female with dark skin to be his running mate?

Kamala Harris has to be the front-runner to be Joe Biden's VP nominee, if he wins the nomination. And not just among Democrats who are black.

8. biff17

biff17 Member

Why do the Republicans and Trump supporters bring so much energy and unfunny comics to this thread?

9. Nook

Nook Member

What makes you think that Harris is all that popular with democrats?

What makes you think she is even all that popular with black voters?

biff17 likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

What difference does it make how popular she is with Democrats? The top of the ticket is what counts on election day.

The selection of a VP by Biden will be an opportunity to appease the "Identity politics" obsessed left wing of the party. Harris checks as many boxes as can be checked this time around. She is a woman, she has dark skin, she is younger, and she is presenting herself as a 'Progressive" who has been going out of her way to check as many of the "Politically correct" boxes as she can.

This pick - if Biden makes it - will be all about virtue signalling. Biden is not likely to win against Trump anyway, even if this is the VP nominee. His VP choice will not matter much in the general election, except to the extent that the left wing feels like he has been sufficiently deferential to their demands, and therefore deign to show up at the polls to vote for old Joe.

As far as whether she is popular with black voters, I will defer to the author of the article, who suggested that she is at least popular as Biden's VP choice among black Democrat lawmakers. Beyond that, who knows.

But if the Democrats are going to have any chance to be competitive in the general election against Trump this time around, they are going to have to find a way to mobilize the black vote and get them to the polls on election day with a large turnout. Which very likely means some race controversy will be ginned up in the 2-3 months just before the election, just like always. Personally, I do not believe that Biden nominating Harris is likely to be enough on its own to do the job.

11. Nook

Nook Member

What is the real payoff for selecting Harris? I see no real proof she is especially popular with black voters. She has been strongly criticized with her record on crime when she was a prosecutor.

So at the end of the day, she is female and biracial. So what? There are other candidates that are female and black.

Honestly I don't think getting black people to the polls will be an issue. Trump is not exactly a uniting candidate. The democrats need to appeal to the rural white and pockets of hispanic voters.

12. biff17

biff17 Member

Black voters already support Biden it's the reason he is leading the polls.

Would like to know why you think Biden cannot beat Trump in the General?

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

As I already stated, if she is chosen, her selection will be all about virtue signalling and posing for the far left wing of the party. I do believe that her selection is likely to be sufficient to motivate black turnout the way that the Democrats MUST have in order to be competitive in the general election. To accomplish that, there is usually some race issue that the media blows up into a huge deal within 2-3 months before the general election. It will be a breathtakingly huge surprise if we do not see that again this time around.

What other candidate is female, black, young, and "Progressive"? Who? Say what you like, but she checks off a lot of the "Identity politics" boxes. And we all know how obsessed the Democrat left is with "Identity politics" and "Political correctness". To be fair, Harris is not a mortal lock to be Biden's VP any more than Biden is a mortal lock to with the nomination for his party. But for these two roles, they are the early front-runners.

I agree that the Democrats would be smart to appeal to middle American voters. They do not need to worry about skin color or family heritage. They should focus on economics and respecting all of these people as highly as anyone else in their "Identity politics" hierarchy and stop with the racism, sexism, anti-Christian bigotry and advocacy of anyone based on their sexual habits.

If they could plausibly move the party towards supporting this sort of smart, practical, egalitarian politics, they could be competitive. But that is not going to happen, as I believe you know very well.

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I did not say that Biden "Cannot" win. But he is not likely to be able to do so.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

Why do you think that?

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Here are 10 reasons that occurred to me. I am sure there are more. But this will have to do for starters.
    1. Trump is the incumbent
    2. The economy is strong
    3. Trump has shown that the Democrat left, the establishment and the media are a bunch of corrupt liars that cannot be trusted
    4. Trump is pushing ahead with his trade renegotiations and efforts to defend our border
    5. Biden is a goof of a candidate who was never very compelling, even in his prime
    6. The Democrat House (Pelosi, Nadler, Schiff, Waters, AOC, Tlaib, etc.) is going to continue to be the gift that keeps on giving for the benefit of Trump
    7. Trump will not have to fight through the primaries this time - he gets a bye until November 2020
    8. The revelations by the various DOJ investigations from here on out appear to be poised to hurt the Democrats and to help Trump
    9. Top Democrats are refusing to run in Senate races in key competitive states, which is likely to diminish turnout for the Democrats at least a bit
    10. The Democrat left has moved so far left that it is likely to spook some moderate Democrat voters into voting for Trump or not voting at all

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

#1 is definitely true. #2 is mostly true. #7 is true. The rest... well, mojoman is a trump supporter, so lets just say they are truth-challenged.

Rashmon and Deckard like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This a pretty shallow analysis. First, its the same tired charge that was levied when Stacey Abrams was rumored to be a VP candidate. And why would Biden, or any other Democrat winning the Democrat ticket, need a Black VP candidate to get Black votes? Biden already polls well with Black voters. And Biden wins California anyway.

If Biden, or any other Democrat running for President not named Amy becomes Democratic candidate... I suspect Klobuchar will be the leading choice for VP. Or maybe Mayor Pete. Or Bullock (though hoping he runs for Senate).

19. biff17

biff17 Member

Ok so just as I thought most of the reasons you have are based on something that are not facts and are right wing media talking points.

So you actually think Biden is more goofy than Trump which is hilarious.

If this is what Trump supporters think will get Trump reelected I feel better about 20/20.

I actually think his incumbency is a negative more than a positive he continues to be divisive and can't be chill.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So, Mr. MojoMan, you think that Democrats would be “smart” to appeal to the American Middle Class by being bigoted? These are a few of your quotes, and you make that “strategy” perfectly clear. I hope you will excuse Democrats, and this is one here, for telling you to stick that idea where the sun don’t shine. With all due respect.

“I agree that the Democrats would be smart to appeal to middle American voters. They do not need to worry about skin color or family heritage. They should focus on economics and respecting all of these people as highly as anyone else in their "Identity politics" hierarchy and stop with the racism, sexism, anti-Christian bigotry and advocacy of anyone based on their sexual habits.”

“...why do that when he can pick a female with dark skin to be his running mate?”

“She is a woman, she has dark skin...”