1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela is playing scared

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, May 9, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Nailed it. To me this is the story of the game and the series. I don't understand why Nene played 4 minutes.

vince, dcfma and kjayp like this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The issue was that Clint wasn't going strong to the basket. He isn't going to make those up and under moving away from the basket shots the way he will make it when he goes strong.

I would rather Clint get blocked or fouled going strong than trying to change his game and shoot going away from the basket or trying to avoid the defender.

I think he will be more likely to make it. If he doesn't he will get Warriors players in foul trouble. It will also punish them and will make them take guarding him seriously and require more effort on their part.

3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The 5 or so posters in here ******** on Capela don’t post unless they need to complain about something, so there’s really no point in explaining that the sky isn’t falling.

There’s also no point in mentioning that Morey is the reason we’re even close to where we are today. Honestly, there’s a plethora of good things they consistently ignore. If you want to have productive conversation, just hold off until good posters arrive, and if they never do... just ignore the thread.

vince likes this.
  4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

He is giving the Warriors an advantage on the floor by being so damn passive. Soon as you get the ball, just do a basketball move to the rim and drop the ball in the hop, Clint.

5. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Manimal was out last game for personal reasons.

6. basketballholic

@durvasa apparently has missed how good the Warriors are at taking down the pick and roll.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Damn...thanks.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't think I have ever seen a player look more "lost" than Capela in this series. It is literally like he doesn't know what to do. Chris Paul looks like he is fifty years old. That contract is looking horrible, unless he is about to have two monster games.

9. SemisolidSnake

I hope whatever "personal reasons" that kept Faried out of the official lineup yesterday aren't serious. I still want to see him in this series. Just for the sake of seeing what happens.

There's no more argument to be made that Capela's defense is superior, and that doesn't mean I'm saying Faried is a good defender. Capela's a wide open door to the Warriors. They switch their ball handlers and scorers on to him as much as possible.

Capela may have had 14 rebounds last night, but he never get gets important ones. He's a Westbrook rebounder that snipes and scavenges rebounds. He doesn't box out or position himself in likely places to grab critical ones.

Faried was a double-double machine this season and shoots better from the free throw line. Capela had 6 points on 3/10 shooting last night.

I don't need to really repeat any more of what I've said in other threads. Coming up with the term "Westbrook rebounder" to describe Clint is the best thing to come out of this rant, so I'll stop there, and I encourage the widespread use of that term if you like it.

10. Mr. Space City

He needs to take a boxing out lesson with PJ Tucker.

He should be having multiple 20+ rebounding games this series even if he’s not gonna try to put the ball in the hoop.

11. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

And four of the six points came in the last 3 1/2 minutes of the game. He only had two points in the last 3 1/2 minutes, that’s it. Two freakin’ points!!

Answer that all of the foolish turnovers and not knowing to do when you got them on the pick and roll meant for a horrible offense. The fact is he’s playing soft and it’s just not a good match up against Draymond Green. That’s understandable but when you see a bad matchup you should change the lineup. Nene was playing great and Faried should be on the court getting time ass a backup. He grabbed 10 board and scored 20 points the last time he played against GS and got significant minutes.

12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Cuz he still can’t grasp the switching defense

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Because this coach is a ****ing stubborn dumbass. It was apparent all game. He has had 5 games of sample size there is no excuse. There wasn’t a single positive in Clint’s game. Nene was scoring and defending well. If D’Antoni can’t deviate from his routine for just a game or two so the rockets can win he shouldn’t be coaching them

14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Capela needs to be traded in the off season. Hopefully the Rox can get some quality younger players in a package that includes Capela in here to help Harden out because this is an old team overall and with Paul rapid decline the team needs to retool.

15. Mr. Space City

Nene shooting 100% from the field this series with a .936 TS% lmfao

napalm06 and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  16. YallMean

YallMean Member

For those that point to the 14 boards and the highest + of Capela stats last night, here are two things
    1) he had only 6 points and blew up numerous easy tip in or putbacks. It’s not about those numbers we are complaining. I can care less if he contributes positively to the team sucess. He was ineffective last night. He shrunk into a boy under duress.
    2) we are paying him 20 mil a year. We all b****ed about Ryan Anderson’s production in view of his beloated contract. Capela is supposed to grab rebounds with that kind of money. He is freaking less of a player with much less impact than Sikam right now. Yes I too saw he grabbed a few offensive boards here and there and a block on Curry that should have been allowed. Yeah yeah yeah. Buy you must also not see (or ignore) how freaking SOFT he is in the paint getting pushed around and not strong with the Basket. I am not talking about Montrez level. If he could just be ... Mason Plumlee or Zach Collins, we freaking won the game period. So you don’t know any more basketball and stop acting you know more.

Lastly, a friend of mine is a warriors fan. He called me last night immediately after the game. The first thing he said was ... Capela was a liability on your team playing like a child amongst man.

So not sure what kind of advanced level basketball you are seeing here.

17. s3ts

s3ts Member

Surprisingly, it was Capela who was the constant positive sub in this game.

https://stats.nba.com/game/0041800225/playbyplay/

Having him play off the ball and stand in the middle to draw defensive attention away from the mid-range driving/cutting was the reason for our effective offense in the 2nd and 3rd Qs.

But if Capela can't find a way to be an offensive threat on a 1-on-1 situation, having a double down low is very effective for GSW. They get to defend a paint threat from two separate directions, and cover most lobs or passes inside. And they can double pretty much every cut/drive and still have a defender on Capela for a lob or pass.

Without the great small-ball guard players in EG, CP, JH, and the crazy effort that PJ puts up, we'd be sitting ducks.

18. magichat281

magichat281 Member

hes having a hard time with green when he get the pick and roll going green switches off to him quickly and put a body on him. Green switch on pick and roll is fast look at the game. and gree can go over rim and thrown up to him. they shutting him down.

YallMean likes this.
  19. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is so one dimensional. He would just stand there watching get shut down. Inexperience maybe. That’s why I call him not a real basketball player. Just watch how Nene rolls with Harden after the pick. Clint doesn’t not have it. It’s fine if he is a blue collar role player, but we pay him near max. So damn us ... and fxxk him for demanding that.

Where is the Capela of last year’s playoff

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I was really upset at DAntoni for not putting Nene in the game last night. It's not as if Capela was doing any better on the switch with Curry and Klay. I would rather have Nene in there and let him show Capela how a man does not let himself be pushed around.

Nene at least can finish when he is being surrounded. Capela can't be counted on to go up strong and put the ball in the hoop.

It's been a really disappointing series for the guy with the big mouth.

Hakeemtheking likes this.