1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You're getting too into specifics. All I'm saying is that it's way way way too early to speak in absolutes about any candidate. IMO, the way it's going leads me to believe that one of the governors might start to look more and more like a contender as time goes on. Outside of Mayor Pete, they're the relative unknowns. I'd just hesitate making any definitive comments about any candidate until at least the debates start.

For me, at least, I've not even really begun to vet or even really think about who I'm supporting.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Similarly, I have not made a final decision as to who I am supporting in the 2020 race. With that said, after watching Sleepy Joe Biden slur his way through his very first speech yesterday, I can tell that father time has caught him. He looked like a spray-tanned old goat, angry that he just ate a popcorn box with no food inside. Because of this, he has now lost my vote.

GOOD DAY

MojoMan likes this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

biff17 likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Funny to see what conservatives think are the bad parts of the Obama legacy.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This set of results is a head scratcher...

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So gay guy and women don't fare so well.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not really a head scratcher but depressing - the candidates high on name recognition and short on ideas vault to the top because they're blank (white, male) slates. It also tends to prove that policy really doesn't matter, because it's basically impossible to reconcile Bernie and Biden's positions.

The single best policy/ideas person meanwhile is knocked down because she is 1) a woman and 2) covered more like a reality show contestant by the media.

Rashmon likes this.
  9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

One might think you would be more of a supporter of Kamala Harris.

10. NewRoxFan

Actually, since the candidate (in this poll, at least) with the best chance to beat trump (and again, only based on this poll) is a candidate getting less than 10% in polling. I find that result interesting. Perhaps the poll respondents simply see O'Rourke the polar opposite of trump... youthful, energetic, upbeat, positive, likable. Though hard to tell from a tweet of results.

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Do you really believe that Beta O'Rourke has the best chance of beating Trump?

12. NewRoxFan

I see you have gone full trump by resorting to childish name-calling. Guess cartoons got too old.

Anyway, we're how far away from the election? I don't think polls this early are that important, and as I posted, the poll results were both interesting and a "headscratcher."

13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Didn't see any name calling. Seemed like a decent and legit question to me.

Edit: Oh--Beta. I would say that's just an accurate description.

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

President Trump commented on Senator Kamala Harris behavior during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing for AG Barr yesterday as "Nasty".

He is right. It was. Her behavior has a tendency to be "Nasty". Don't be surprised to see President Trump and others continue to call attention to this very unattractive tendency using this same term more often going forward.

15. NewRoxFan

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The Democrats running for president are preparing for a contested convention by courting superdelegates. This is important, because if a nominee is not chosen on the first ballot, then the Democrat superdelegates will represent about 24% of all delegates starting with the second ballot:

The story is at the link. It talks about how all the candidates are already hustling around trying to schmooze the superdelegates for their support, because there is a very strong chance that this convention will be contested (going beyond the first ballot) with the field being as fragmented as it is. The candidates all realize that with the Democrat party elites controlling 24% of the delegates, it is not just up to the voters by any means.

Here is some more about the Democrat's delegate allocation rules for their primaries:

Thresholds for Democratic Party Delegate Allocation

There is a 15% minimum threshold to receive any delegates. Those not receiving the minimum are excluded, with the delegate pool divided proportionately among those candidates receiving 15% or more.

Implications for 2020
    The Democratic nominating contest in 2016 was essentially between two candidates - Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. The 2020 field is starting out much larger. Even if a few withdraw later this year, there will likely be 10+ candidates in the race when the Iowa caucuses kick off the nominating process on February 3rd. Given the more front-loaded 2020 calendar, this larger group is likely to be around for more events than would otherwise be the case.

The biggest potential implication of proportional allocation in such a large field is that no candidate arrives at the Milwaukee convention in July with enough delegates to win -- and a brokered convention results.

However, there are a couple issues at the state level that could also arise in these large field 2020 contests that weren't really mathematically possible in the two-person 2016 race
    1. No candidate receives 15% of the vote. If no candidate meets the 15% threshold, Democratic Party rules state the minimum to receive delegates will be 50% of the vote received by the front-runner. For example, if candidate A wins with 10% of the vote, delegates will be allocated proportionately to anyone that receives 5% or more.
    2. Only one candidate exceeds 15% of the vote -- but just barely. If only one candidate gets 15%, the allocation is effectively winner-take-all. This is not a big deal if that person is the clear frontrunner, getting 40%, 50% or more. However, what if the opposite is true -- a candidate wins with 16% vote share, while the next three candidates are just a few points behind. If that happened repeatedly favoring the same candidate, the party could potentially end up with a nominee that lacks broad support.
    So, candidates in individual primary contests that win less than 15% of the vote in that state get zero delegates, unless no candidate wins 15% of the delegates in that state, in which case there are special rules. With this many candidates, it is going to be hard for more than one or two candidates, three at the most to win delegates. Actually that may be true later as well.

There are 3,768 elected delegates and 764 superdelegates available, for a total of 4,532. For a candidate to win the nomination for the Democrats on the first ballot, they will need to accumulate 1,884 (3,768/2) delegates from the primaries alone. Starting on the second ballot, the winning candidate will need 2,226 delegates (4,532/2), which includes the superdelegates.

And if that happens, it will be a return to the smoke-filled rooms of old.

JuanValdez likes this.
  17. AstrosRockets1818

lol if yall think any poll is legit after the Trump vs Hillary election you're fooling yourself. She was suppose to easily when. Instead average people did not comment and simply went to vote and picked him slightly over her.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MojoMan likes this.
  19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Smart to do, but I'm not convinced it's going to be all that important. A contested primary hasn't happened since 1952.