1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Threes in theory are better but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 1, 2019.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In all honesty that's the question this team needs to find an answer for before Game 3. Do they completely ditch the PnR with Capela? I think they're too hardheaded to do that but it also means that either Harden or Gordon will have to penetrate more to the basket after the pick rather than 1. looking for a Capela lob or 2. shooting a 3. The hope here is that either it puts the Warriors in foul trouble or it causes them to shift their defense and defend the PnR in the "more traditional" sense which works into Capela's and Houston's favor.

HP3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. biina

biina Member

OKC also came close

smp likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Rockets have a super high ORtg.

They scored 109 points last night. In SPITE of 17 turnovers and limited offensive rebounds.

The OPs comment isn't completely unfounded. If threes aren't falling, take twos. Seems simple.

Last night, generally speaking, threes were falling.

smp and mockster like this.
  4. mockster

mockster Member

We don’t even need to change our game, just make some easy mid rangers instead of forcing up a bad three attempt

smp likes this.
  5. Dubcon3

Dubcon3 Member

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Green is far better just launching from 3...he takes a midrange jumper every now and then, but his greatest strength is getting hot from 3...nothing needs to be changed about the way he plays

Tucker? Absolutely not. He is not capable of taking advantage of the midrange. No way. He is best utilized as a corner 3 point shooter. Tucker is not getting off any respectable attempts from midrange with his limited offensive skills.

EG sucks from midrange. He is far better utilized as a layup and 3 guy. He is best at attacking the rim and launching from deep, yet u want him to substitute some of that to do something he’s garbage at. Why?

U say u want them to play to their ability, and that is exactly what they are doing.

CP3 already takes plenty of midrange jumpers. He is not banned from taking them. I already said that Harden should try a few if he’s way off from 3 in order to see if he can get some points on the board, but other than that, he was smart to substitute the step back midrange for the step back three when he’s capable of shooting 39% on step back threes like he did during the regular season, and he’s shooting 21-43 on step back threes in the playoffs.

harold bingo and HP3 like this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I loathe the cries for mid-range after every missed 3. Having said that, I will say it would benefit all of our players greatly if they had the same idea to run a forward (or big guard, Livingston is a guard right?) down to the post early, let them get a one dribble/move shot from 10ft in. It’s technically a mid-range shot, but I’m believing in the skills of pro players enough to think most of them turn that into a “layup”. And it’s not exactly a 20ft jumper either which is really the no-no.

I understand and the dude abides living for 3s, layups and free throws...but a couple easy buckets would’ve been a godsend last night. They are working way too hard on offense.

smp, HP3, mockster and 1 other person like this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

That was the year before MDA and his 3-point-heavy offense came to Houston.

9. mockster

mockster Member

Once again I’m not calling for the whole team to start chunking mid rangers. All I’m saying is adding another dynamic here and there.

Gordon is a fantastic shooter period, harden is fine. Tucker can pop and shoot just about anywhere. Green can hit 2s no problem, rivers can to

I’m not saying they should up and abandon what they’ve been doing but they shouldn’t be discouraged to hit an easy 2 when presented

10. mockster

mockster Member

Exactly my point thank you. People think I’m asking to abandon our system when I’m not.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, well that’s just absolutely false...there’s a reason why they say the midrange is a lost art so no, your odds are not valid

guys have to do more creation in order to get off midrange shots, and we lack creators...

Instead of taking corner threes, should Tucker take spot up midrange jumpers? Lol, please tell me how he’s gonna be effective from midrange. EG sucks from midrange.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Here's a thought: how about instead of taking more mid range jumpers, have Rivers, House, Shumpert (guys who suck at 3s) DRIVE into the paint more? Be aggressive and make the Warriors play some defense down low for once. Those 3 guys are better slashers than shooters anyway.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

U seem to have trouble understanding that most of the team is quite limited outside of Harden, CP3, and straight line drives from EG.

Gordon is a career 32% shooter from 10-16 ft, and a career 38% shooter from 16 ft to the 3 point line. Fantastic indeed...

Tucker can shoot corner threes well and that’s it. He can’t create anything on his own. Tucker shooting from midrange? Lol, that would be tragic. Rivers from midrange?? Really? Man, u can’t be serious right now...

Rivers, the guy who shoots 34% from 10-16 ft for his career, and 32% from 16 ft to the 3 point line is a guy we should have taking midrange jumpers. Smh.

harold bingo, HP3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Then we need to add a guy who can this off season

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

agreed...asking players on this roster to start taking more of a shot they are absolute garbage at is not the solution to anything

what we really need is a Jimmy Butler who is capable of posting up, hitting a midrange jumper, hitting a three, and getting to the rim...we need a guy who is skilled and has multiple tools offensively...unfortunately, he’s just a pipe dream

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Remember how Aldridge came back to earth after 2 huge games and couldn't hit a shot in the series after ours?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Why do people think it's this simple? Not all 3's and not all 2's are the same. If you only shoot 3s, teams can adjust their defense, meaning you have to shoot more difficult 3's. Mixing in 2s has the potential to get you easier 3s.

Variety has value. A player who has only one move is easier to defend than one that has several. Think of the equivalent in baseball - no matter how good your fastball is, you're a better pitcher if you mix in a decent-even-if-not-great secondary pitch.

Wylo and smp like this.
  18. smp

smp Member

There’s a lot of people who agree. It’s just a tired old argument. There’s a handful of vocal people on each side but look at the poll about whether Harden should take midrange shots or not.

Fans overwhelmingly want him to take more. It was like 93% yes vs 7% no.

Anyway, dont take it personally! If nothing else, I’ll go on record saying that I believe this 3, FTs, or layups only offense is very mathematically smart, but we have taken it too far and it didn’t pay off. We made it to the WCF under McHale and we did it again under DanTony. Different systems. Same result.

So back to our current system, variety and unpredictability are important but we are not doing it well at all. We have 2 plays. Everyone knows what’s happening. No fast breaks. No midrange shots. It leave a giant area of the court that the opponent doesn’t have to defend. Plus it’s obvious that you can’t depend on FTs in the playoffs. It’s different rules in the postseason.

In the end though, the NBA is a talent show. GS has more talent and they are going to win a 7 game series almost every time.

19. mockster

mockster Member

Gordon, rivers, green and harden are very capable at mid rangers idc what you say. Once again not asking them to do it consistently either.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

but they’re not aside from Harden...if u want to be ignorant and ignore data and facts because it goes against your weak argument then that’s on u