1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cousins Injury - West is Wide Open

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fawkward, Apr 15, 2019.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets didn't try to exploit the match up the only game Boogie went off. Harden and CP3 didn't try to get Boogie in the PnR at all during that game. The previous couple games, The Rockets were relentless getting Boogie in the PnR, so much so, the media, the next day, were saying Boogie was damn near unplayable against the Rockets. Rockets were trying something and that something was seeing if Clint could hold Boogie 1v1.

Every GSW lineup with Boogie is bad.

chadyang, clutchdabear and amaru like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Another Warriors thread in the GARM. Aren't you guys too obsessed with Golden State? The last I checked, we were playing the Jazz in a playoffs series.

GotGame15, mike2k132, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

There were no previous couple games. The Rockets played two games against the Warriors with Boogie. In the second game Boogie led the Warriors in assists as well with 7. To just dismiss that game as trying something new and saying the first game is what would normally happen sounds a bit homerish to me.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What happened in the first game?

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

He got dominated. We saw one game where the Rockets abused him and one game where he abused the Rockets. I think it's a big stretch based on what we've seen to assume that Boogie can't be a positive against the Rockets when we've seen a game that says otherwise. I'm not glad he got hurt, but I'm glad that's one less wrinkle the Rockets have to worry about in the next round.

The Rockets are going to score. They scored just fine against the Warriors before Boogie returned from injury. The best scoring game against the Warriors was pre Boogie. We don't need to abuse him in the pick n roll to score on the Warriors. What does worry me is what Boogie brought to them on the offensive side of the ball. Extra passing and floor spacing from a big man. I'm glad we don't have to worry about that.

#185 gmoney411, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I can't believe some of you guys are scared of a 34 year old Bogut. Who was out of the league most of the year.

7. Nook

Nook Member

If we are playing Capela 30+ minutes a game, you are not going to see Cousins on the perimeter all that much on defense. Last game they were letting him stay in the paint quite a bit. If we had a guy like Brook Lopez at the 5, then it would be more of a an issue. Also, the Warriors would likely use Cousins in specific situations to maximize him. The Warriors cannot do that now. The Warriors were not going to play Cousins, just to play him.

Cousins was very good at passing out of the post, and was getting guys like Curry, Durant and Thompson open looks. The player that suffered offensively was Draymond Green. I would rather have Green taking shots than Cousins.

As for your example, I don't know if prime Carmelo would have helped or hurt the Rockets because we got a player that was a shell of his former self.

Cousins can be turnover prone, and against athletic centers that can shoot from the outside, is a major liability. However, he also had little problem shoring over and around Capela, he also got some big rebounds down the stretch.

Cousins being out is only a benefit for the Rockets. The Warriors would not have played him if he struggled in the playoffs against the Rockets. Now the Rockets do not have to worry about who is going to body Cousins and stop him inside. The Rockets have an advantage at the 5 now. The Rockets do not need to worry about scoring from the 5 either.

8. Nook

Nook Member

He can still rebound and offer some resistance inside. However, he is a 12-15 minute a night guy at this point. The Warriors really need Looney or Bell to hit the boards.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m sure Cousins would’ve had 1 or 2 games in a series against us where he was able to be handful in the paint and get 20+ and 10...defensively he was another target to exploit...Looney is better for GS defensively in a series against us, but we don’t have to pay him much attention on defense

KD has been passive for a while now. His mind ain’t right.

last year, it seemed like when we were on the verge of breaking the game open a little bit, GS would get 1 or 2 stops and then KD would make a couple of indefensible jumpers to keep the lead at 6 or 8 instead of 10 or more...it was annoying

baller4life315 likes this.
  10. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

What does any of that have to do with him getting injured, though?

We don't have to like him or whatever moves he made in trying to revive his career/get a ring. Can't we just look beyond all that and say "It's too bad bodily harm befell him"? Like normal people?

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Also, just talked to @justtxyank and he said....

[​IMG]

PeteChilcutBoss likes this.
  12. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

That's too bad. [​IMG]

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I do feel that way. It's a shame. But I'm not going to cry for him like folks on twitter saying it's so unfortunate because he should have gotten paid.

BeBreezy likes this.
  14. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Daryl Moray and the Rockets are also obsessed with the gsws and rightly so. They are the team to beat. Jazz are just practice.

15. Remlap

Remlap Member

Because. . . . . .moving screens. That was Bogut's biggest weapon.
    Impossible to get around a moving screen. Warriors know it, Rockets know it,
    and the refs know it. But yet, the refs let it go. "Just the Warriors being the Warriors"

16. igotwhipscollectingdust

The way I see it all of their bigs are BBQ chicken for Harden and even Paul. The difference is Cousins could actually provide value offensively.. but he could also be a negative if he’s taking shots away from KD, Steph, and Klay and not hitting them. So I’m not really sure if this benefits or hurts Rockets.

17. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was pre-emphasis on "freedom of movement." I think they'll call those now.

18. Remlap

Remlap Member

Moving screens were ALWAYS supposed to be called. I don't think there was any previous lax rule on those.
    The freedom of movement rule has focused mostly on grabbing as guys are slipping away.
    But, we'll see. Keep a close eye on Bogut and Green

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

This is the kind of thing I was talking about above:

RichieBanks and chadyang like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's keep it simple, if they win, they win despite of the refs and disparity........

If the Rox dun, then there are still tons of reasons, mainly refs and not shooting well.