1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cousins Injury - West is Wide Open

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fawkward, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

That's all we heard from the "experts" at the start of the season " To think that this great Warriors team will be adding DEMARCUS COUSINS sometime in mid season! OMG!! - they will be scary !!!"

Well - that was sort of true in game 4. His absence does help us.

I do not like his NBA persona at all. But I do still feel a little bad for him as a person

I do NOT feel bad for the Warriors and do not believe this makes them better. Last night proves it. Durant (b4 leaving) and Curry tried to will them to victory. Didn't work.

Lawlruschang and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Rockets would’ve loved to have Cousins out there over Looney or Bogut.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

LOL stop it

GotGame15, Smacktle, jcmoon and 3 others like this.
  4. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

They would pick n roll Cousins to death, yes he’s way better than Looney and alt right Bogut but he’s so easy to destroy on defense and get very emotional, easy to get in his head that it would be a plus for the rockets in a sense.

5. biff17

biff17 Member

They won that last game by 2 points and we had shot to win at the buzzer.

Are you pretending Cousins made that much difference?

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Looney has been known to kill the Rockets. He is a good switch defender too; Harden has trouble with his length. Looney is no slouch. He's a 0 calorie Capela.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm sure this has been talked about in this thread or elsewhere...

But Cousins signed with the Warriors for one year, $5.4 million. He rejected a 2 year, $40 million deal from the Pelicans after he tore his achilles. This was during the season, and the offer was "pulled" once Cousins rejected it at that point in time. BUT... the Pelicans were planning to meet Cousins in FA, but he ultimately signed with GSW first.

Then as recent as last month he was throwing shade at the Pelicans organization.

I do not wish ill on anyone, generally, and am not sure about karma, but part of me just kind of says the dude is constantly whining at someone or something or not happy or throwing shade at something.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

the west was wide open before this injury. This team is good enough to win it all.

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Cousins gambled his career to chase a ring with Golden State instead of signing a better deal. He's been very arrogant since his return. Sucks that he got injured, but you could call it karma.

GotGame15, rhee and Lawlruschang like this.
  10. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

To the morons stating the Warriors are "better" without Cousins are foolish.

Do you guys not remember the last game against them?

GotGame15 likes this.
  11. amaru

amaru Member

Honestly, I think this injury hurts the Rockets. Cousins had his moments but he's not the ideal fit. Bogut and Looney are more of a fit for what the Warriors want to do. Still, I think we will be fine.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't understand how anybody could watch the last game we played against them and want Cousins to still be an option for them against us. He was arguinga the best player on the court for the Warriors that game. Give me 34 year old Bogut all day every day

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Small sample size

14. 9baller

9baller Member

Should we sign him this summer?

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets played small against Boogie that last game knowing Clint struggles against him. There were options on the bench in Nene who defended him well and Faried who scored 20/10 against him the previous match up who was limited with injuries. Rockets were not scared of Boogie that was a test IMO.

Every GSW lineup Boogie on is bad.

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm not sure how you can say every lineup Boogie is on is bad while at the same time saying that Clint struggles against him.

17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Bogut or Curry’s lock down D will do quite nicely. We’ll gladly shoot floater, layups, lobs, freetrows, 12 footers. All day long. The rest of the team can chill at the perimeter and go HAM on defense. GSW can run around setting screens all day long till they tire out. Then we send in Green, Rivers, and the Manimal to push the energy up... now that we got a 8-9 man rotation.

18. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Instead of 5 all-stars 4?

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think that Cousins being out is a big advantage for us. However, the idea that GS could be better without him isn't automatically absurd. Yes, he's played well but he is a high volume guy with questionable defense on the perimeter which is where the game is heavily focused now. He's got a 56.2 TS%, while Durant and Steph are 63% and 64%, respectively. So if his 12 shots per game are coming at their expense it makes their offense worse overall.

Melo was absolutely horrible for us, but even if he shot the blistering (by his standards) 56 TS% he did in his prime would we have been a good fit with us? Prime Melo is a huge talent upgrade, but does he make us better considering his playing style and weaknesses? Talent isn't everything.

20. Mr. Space City