1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll agree, but I don't think the point is exclusively "political." It's a convention ordinarily. Certainly the context here may change that equation.

don't know what you're getting at here. I was commenting primarily on "You're not supposed to talk about people you're unwilling to charge."

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Mueller’s Report may talk about Trump while Mueller did not indict Trump.

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

got it. again I was commenting on the convention about not discussing details absent charges--Christie said "unwilling to charge," the DOJ policy perhaps makes them "unable to charge." at any rate, that's all I was suggesting

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m in the camp that Mueller must mention Trump if he’s involved in criminal wrongdoing and needs to write a section in the report as a roadmap for Congress to investigate..

BUT... he should not mention private citizens NOT being indicted. Instead label them at citizen A, etc. You can even do that with Trump but there still needs to be a section on the president if he commitmented high crimes.

If Trump did not commit crimes then he can also be labeled as individual 1, etc to protect his integrity.

But the case the premise Christie laid out this AM (can’t given report on individuals who aren’t being charged) is completely forgetting about the fact that Mueller has the Manafort charges, the Flynn charges, the Stone charges, etc. which he can use to talk through the principle results of his probe.... ie did the Trump campaign collude. So he can draw “Campaign and Admin” conclusions through those specific indictments and charges.

But given that Trump cannot be indicted per DOJ policy Mueller HAS TO report to Congress criminal activity by the president.

No Worries likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So why was anything said about Clinton? They said a lot about her but didn't charge her with anything.

6. jcf

jcf Member

My preference (fwiw) is to have as much of the report as can be legally released disclosed to the public. I am sure that people are going to argue about what it means, whether it is credible, etc., if it is released. Potentially, everyone will hate aspects of the report.

But, I think it would be way healthier for our country to have it all out on the table rather than leaving open for conjecture what was really found and what evidence there was for whatever conclusions it might contain.

I agree with all of the posters who have stated we really don't know anything until more about the report is disclosed.

That being said, I do hope that on the specific issue of collusion, the conclusion is no collusion. Or maybe more accurately stated, to the extent one can prove a negative, I hope there is sufficient information to indicate that no collusion occurred in reality. Whether one hates Trump or supports Trump, the thought of a presidential candidate successfully colluding with a foreign power is horrifying. If there was collusion, I hope they found it. If there wasn't, I hope it is clear so we can all get past that particular issue.

It's hard for me to grasp anyone hoping that collusion occurred. I certainly understand people wanting it caught if it happened.

Ubiquitin and B-Bob like this.
  7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    If you are concerned about the principal results of the probe, then why are you concerning yourself with the Manafort tax fraud or FARA charges, the alleged Flynn 302 report discrepancy, or the Stone charges -- literally none of which concern the underlying principal purpose of the Special Counsel's probe? The ONLY way your statement about criminal activity by the President could make any sense whatsoever would be if the President acted completely alone in committing any crime. Because literally no other American was charged or indicted for committing a crime related to the Special Counsel's original thrust -- Russian election interference. So basically your theory has about a 0.0001% chance of being right... maybe even less because a leak would have happened months ago if this were the case.

The final stages of your fantasy are being dismissed. I understand how you are still in the denial phase, but soon you'll realize that you've just been dead wrong for 2 years about a topic that you know very little about.

GOOD DAY

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Wow, Matt Taibbi just went in dry on the media! Incredible. He acknowledges that the whole investigation was based on a partisan stunt and the media spewed lies the liberals wanted to hear for the past two years.

Required reading for the liberals.

cml750 and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the book that that's excerpted from looks like it will be interesting, not coming out until October though

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Again ... can you read? The Mueller mandate is clear.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3726408-Rosenstein-letter-appointing-Mueller-special.html

“Any links and or coordination”

Manaforts crimes are linked to his work with Ukrainian political figures backed by Putin. Stone’s “cover up” crimes are in regards to his conversations with Assange. Flynn’s guilty plea is about lying about his discussions with Russian officials about sanctions.

In order for you to respond to me in the way you did, you obviously have not read the mandate from DOJ.

Mueller reporting today on his principle conclusions of his mandate wouid absolutely be in line with his mandate.

You are either lying or ignorant to the facts of the conversation. The Mueller investigations mandate was to investigate Russian interference and also to investigate ties to the Russians any Trump officials might have.

He did his job. If these crimes uncovered are not worrisome to you then great. But it doesn’t change the FACT that they are relevant to Mueller’s mandate and likely to be the framework for Mueller’s principle conclusions.

Stop lying and spreading propagated misinformation. The facts will be the facts, and we will soon be able to learn more in a few hours it looks like. But the facts are that what I said is likely to be the case that those three core prosecutions are likely to provide the framework to tell an end to end story about how the Russians are connected to the Trump admin/campaign.

#7051 dobro1229, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

And for that reason, James Comey was fired.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you’ve been listening to Pod Save America, you’d realize an influential liberal outlet has been saying for a long time to have low expectations and for the last few weeks to expect no more indictments. Instead it has been focusing on the unethical and counterproductive actions coming from the Trump White House and the positive policies being proposed by Democrats. Mayor Pete’s interview is worth listening to.

Just because the MSNBC evening lineup made millions hyping this report for last two years does not mean the whole Democratic Party membership has been bamboozled.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Neal Katyal is about as expert on the topic as can be found... this tweet thread is helpful...

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

mick fry likes this.
  17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I suspect that Barr’s letter will state that Mueller is a nerd and no one should be expected to read a 1,000 page report in a weekend and that Congress needs to just “chill bro”.

And “maybe Trump did something bad, maybe he didn’t. tl;dr”

18. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

REPORT IS OUT -- NO COLLUSION!!!

Two years of liberal lies EXPOSED.

sugrlndkid and mick fry like this.
  19. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

KEY FINDING: NO ONE IN TRUMP CAMPAIGN COORDINATED WITH RUSSIA. This despite multiple offers from Russian individuals! TRUMP'S CAMPAIGN DID THE RIGHT THING!

sugrlndkid and mick fry like this.
  20. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

THE SPECIAL COUNSEL: THE REPORT DOES NOT CONCLUDE THAT THE PRESIDENT COMMITTED A CRIME!

mick fry likes this.