1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The future of the EU and the UK, post-Brexit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The whole Brexit mess is stupid and senseless.

Buck Turgidson and MadMax like this.
  2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Just imagine in a few decades when 75% of the jobs are done by AI and robots, what will people in the world do then.

3. malakas

malakas Member

The UK itself went and asked for an extension. But now it is the EU's fault? :D

Why not open a book sometime?
    Critisizing something you have no idea about makes you look like fools.
    In fact even more fools than the little Englanders and british rednecks themselves. Even them don't blame the EU.
    These posts are worse than even the Daily Mail crowd.

4. Major

Major Member

Have you heard the concept of leverage? May is trying to scare parliament into voting for her deal. She did this last time too when she threatened no-deal. You are possibly the most gullible person in the world.

Literally 24 hours ago you thought the EU was clearly saying they would never agree to an extension without a specific plan in place, and yet, they did to April 12th. At what point do you start asking yourself the basic questions of "Are they playing me?" or "Am I really this stupid?" or "should I stop regurgitating every statement anyone makes without understanding the bigger picture?" (hint: yes, yes and yes).

Rashmon, mdrowe00, Nook and 2 others like this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Whales and North of England were in favour. Northern Ireland, Scotland and London were against.

Scotland was threatened with EU expulsion to vote against the independence referendum.
    So the UK acted in bad faith.
    But the Scottish PM is already preparing for a second referendum so they can gain independence without being lied to by the British.

The Leave campaign has already been found guilty by multiple courts in breaking the laws of financing. They spent over the limit and used shady practices.
    The UK is already being sued by British expats who all of them about 5 million, were denied their right to vote even though they would be more affected than anyone else. Many won't be able to even go to the hospitals for free as of 12 April.

No Worries likes this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

so 4/12 is it I guess, no way they get the vote for 5/22.

7. Major

Major Member

It's definitively NOT 4/12. It's 5/22 or a longer extension.

malakas likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

the same thing people did when so much manufacturing has been automated in the past few decades. Other stuff, or the same stuff but much more efficiently.

9. dmoneybangbang

That completely ignores that the parliament can’t agree on what to do for the last two years.

Apparently incompetence in the U.K. is the EU’s fault....

malakas likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

Yes they can ask for another extension on 12/4 as long as they participate in EU elections. A short extension won't be allowed.

I read that the UK "consitution" gives the PM 14 days after she loses a no confidence vote , so there's plenty of time to change the government.
    Even though Corbyn is an imbecile, petty and an idiot perhaps he can still make a national unity government work.

11. dmoneybangbang

So blame foreigners and globalists because they refuse to adapt?

12. malakas

malakas Member

The funny thing is that only some americans here think this.

I have seen many polls and the Brits themselves do not blame the EU. Leavers and Remainers alike.
    They think it's a national embarassment but of the UK's making.

13. dmoneybangbang

It’s pretty clear the EU is waiting for the U.K. to figure it out. The anti globalists aren’t the type to believe in personal responsibility.

14. Bandwagoner

not sure what these people have to do with automation. Probably your preprogrammed response to out of the norm inputs.

15. dmoneybangbang

I’m just saying what happens when big change occurs. The response to a more competitive, global world has been protectionism and anti globalism.

Trump’s election wasn’t about personal responsibility and adapting to automation.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've been a participant at WEF davos 3 times including this past january. but you know better so i'll just shut up now lol

#836 pippendagimp, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  17. dmoneybangbang

Then you’d know that the U.K. puts up with the EU and gets the benefit of being the financial center and business hub for a ~$20 trillion trade union.

18. Bandwagoner

there is no more protectionist group than the EU and their customs union. Japanese/Chinese goods in the UK are very expensive, especially if the Germans make competitive products.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

london was a financial centre well before the uk joined the eu in '73. since joining however, their economy's growth rate has steadily declined. from an economic standpoint, it really makes no sense to remain in the eu. they benefit considerably less from this union than their counterparts. the uk is germany's #1 market for auto exports, for instance. and france and spain need the uk market to sustain their agriculture exports. the notion that the uk leaving the eu would harm the former more than the latter is simply ludicrous.

free of the tens of thousands of regulations and endless veto's they've suffered, the uk economy would actually thrive within a couple years of breaking off. meanwhile, the ecb has destroyed the eurozone bond markets and the eu is not going to survive, at least not in its current form. i actually do not like the uk. so i don't mind seeing them go down w/ the titanic :)

20. dmoneybangbang

If you say so. The US protects its lucrative SUVs by putting a high tariff on SUVs. The US just increased its ethanol subsidies to protect and boost US corn farmers. The EU protects its sedans and its own agricultural products.

The EU and Japan reached a massive trade deal that lowers tariffs and removes some barriers that goes into effect...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwigv6SupJbhAhUG0awKHRlgC_8QzPwBegQIARAD&url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47086737&psig=AOvVaw1h9RG9mgHZhQqWDp799E1b&ust=1553362493417298

Edit: the U.K. will fall out of the agreement and will have to renegotiate as $2.6 trillion GDP instead of an union of ~$20 trillion gdp.

#840 dmoneybangbang, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019