1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mosque mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Mar 14, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, it was a campaign to exterminate Muslims, so it makes a lot of sense this guy would be enamored with it.

What indicates they were mentally ill? The only evidence I know of is that they killed a lot of people, which seems like rather circular logic.

[​IMG]
    I'd humbly suggest that it is important that some people -- who perhaps make it their professional or intellectual business to understand the drivers of hate crimes -- read, understand, and analyze the manifestos of terrorists. But, its probably not helpful to facilitate making it generally available to the public.

I doubt they were checking IDs at the door. As an atheist who regularly goes to church, though, I'd have to say its kinda awkward. Christians and Jews and Muslims attending an interfaith event can each pray to their own version of God, but the atheist just sits there wishing he could play games on his phone.

NewRoxFan, JayGoogle and malakas like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes of course, I guess you see the point I was making.

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

FWIW, there is a big distinction between Islamic beliefs, and those beliefs held by people in traditionally Islamic countries. Much of what we attribute to 'Islamic beliefs' has nothing to do with Islam, but is instead cultural. Much of what you bring up falls into that category. For example, the Islamic view of women and their role is essentially identical to that put forward in Christianity. The difference is there is a long held cultural view of women that overrides what the Quran says, which isn't present in most Christian countries. The problem is that those beliefs are so ingrained and culturally intertwined with religion, that it is quite difficult to extract them and treat them separately; but they should be. The Saudis are some of the biggest offenders on this, making it doubly difficult, as they like to portray themselves as the keeper of Islam (while they retreat back home to their extravagant liquor cabinets).

So, it isn't so much reform of beliefs that's needed, IMHO...its recognition of where their beliefs come from, and which are cultural and which are from Islam.

biff17 likes this.
  4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No Worries likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Short of someone murdering Hitler or another dictator in order to prevent even greater suffering and more murders, I struggle to see any justification to label anyone a hero who murders unarmed/civilian people because of his/her fanatical belief in an ideology.

Deji McGever likes this.
  7. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Christian
    Jewish
    Muslim
    Black
    White
    Hispanic
    Asian
    Atheist
    Vegan
    Feminist
    Gay
    Lesbian
    Straight
    White Male
    Woman
    Millenial
    Boomer
    Wealthy
    Rich
    Poor

There is no reason to senselessly kill 50 animals of any kind. To kill 50 human beings and confirm them the way he did without the right questions being asked or logical solutions being discussed and proposed shows society will never make progress. You are all hopeless. Good luck.

8. malakas

malakas Member

So the US army is a terrorist organisation?
    Also you didn't say before about unarmed civilians you said about another person in general. It's very easy to label everyone a terrorist.
    Every country is built on the efforts of terrorists according to your definition.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Really? The Quran says that men may be polygamus but women aren't allowed to do so. Seems a little different than the Bible.

AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Separate (and new) ethno states, perhaps?

11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I fully agree that Sam Harris is a deplorable lefty. He's another one these individuals who says "Trump lies all the time."

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Don't know how the invites were worded, or even if invites were communicated. I do know my church is open to all, including atheists.

13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Why should anybody research and write about Hitler, Stalin, Mao etc....

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is how these people operate though, on fear, which is very irrational.

I wonder where certain posters are at that continue to go on about statistics about groups of people and how racial groups are just different doesn't influence people like this.

All this stuff, all of it, is pretty familiar to me. The Race 'Realism', the ethnonationalism, the Islamophobia, this stuff has been building up for the past 5 years or so now, even way back, and groups have had a focused effort on radicalizing white men to join their cause.

It's not even hard to find the 4/8 chans, the discord channels, etc etc that have a drive to do this. It's horrible what has happened, but it is only a precursor to more violence unless people take it seriously.

Jump Ship likes this.
  15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

This might have been sarcasm, but it's hard to tell.

16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

But why are there more deranged people these days? That's the question no one wants to examine.

17. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Common characteristics amongst every shooter:

Male
    Between 15 to 50
    Poor
    Single and doesnt share love with anyone
    Enters these hate communities online where they blame everything on a specific group
    Angry
    Depressed
    Around 1/3 have clearly identifiable mental illnesses
    They blame there lack of having sex and money/jobs on everyone else.
    Had access to guns.

Yang’s $1,000 a month could help take the edge off. The wealthy paying their taxes so that they had access to health care and psychiatry and possibly medication could prevent this as well.

Vote yang, aoc, warren.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yang is going to pay people in NZ?

No Worries and Nook like this.
  19. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I think his citation of Sam Harris in this context was spot on. Harris is as guilty as anyone of spinning the extreme leftist narrative.

Nook likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If the problem is radicalization on the internet, are we wrong to make the internet a free speech zone?

Also been wondering -- the FBI must have dossiers on everyone who posts on 8chan by now, right?