1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon Prime Video] The Lord of the Rings TV Series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Supermac34, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I did not see a thread on this. Apologies if I missed it:

Very Pumped.

From the founding of Numenor to the Last Alliance of Elves and Men.

2. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

$500 million dollar budget. Good grief. Hard to not be excited for this if you were into Tolkien at some point.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You should fix that title to indicate it's a show. I thought this was a necro-bump.

It's going to be hard-pressed to top the Peter Jackson LOTR movies. But if they start with the Hobbit, I will be satisfied as the Hobbit 'trilogy' was pretty bad.

snowconeman22 and Jontro like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

Could be interesting. Liked Games of Thrones better. But maybe they can dig out some origin stories or new character to bring me back in.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It looks like this series takes place before the events of the hobbit. Possibly thousands of years before.

Jontro likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know Amazon is doing Wheel of Time, too... I just wish it would have the $500 million budget and more press. Do we really need more LOTR?

arkoe, peleincubus and Jontro like this.
  7. Supermac34

I'm guessing this is what happens when the Billionaires of the world are geeks? I feel like this is a passion project for Bezos. He paid a huge amount for just the rights and now a huge amount to produce the show.

8. Entropy

Entropy Member

If this is really a second age series, count me in.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

They are going to pick film up of the cutting room floor to show a new extended ending for the original trilogy.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm excited and I don't know any details. I wish they'd do The Hobbit again. That trilogy was a tragedy. If it's a Second Age thing, that would be cool.

11. theimpossibles1

I thought the Hobbit trilogy was pretty damn good. Better than 99% of crap that comes out nowadays.

I'm just speculating here, but maybe yall are saying the Hobbit "was pretty bad, a tragedy" compared to LOTR, one of the greatest movie series of all time.

BigM likes this.
  12. Outlier

Outlier Member

What does second age mean

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  14. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

What's the point of this map? I don't understand the point of it?

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If the wheel of time was done really well. I mean really well it could run longer and be more popular than game of thrones. The story is so good. And that is coming from someone that only read about 5-6 books in the series.

16. Buck Turgidson

I'm more geeked about the Time Bandits series Taika Waititi is going to do for Apple.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  17. Supermac34

In the Lord of the Rings chronology, there are several "ages" of time. The events of the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books and movies occurs during the third age. The first and second ages are referenced and storied in the Silmarillion and other works by Tolkien, as well as making up the backstory and history of the events in the novels and movies (which are also mentioned in detail in the Appendices of the Lord of the Rings novels). At the very beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring, you see the Last Alliance of Elves and Men defeat Sauron on Mount Doom. This event essentially ends the Second Age and begins the Third Age.

Several cataclysmic events occur during the earlier ages of Middle Earth, causing a shift in land and seas. While most of Middle Earth is traceable over various maps, you can begin to see the difference as the land is transformed over time. The biggest deal with the maps posted is the inclusion of Numenor. This is the land that was gifted to Men by the Valar (gods/angels, etc.) during the Second age. They grow their kingdom to rival the most powerful and technologically advanced in Middle Earth History, but are brought down by their own arrogance and the lies of a certain bad guy (Sauron) as he creates and gifts certain trinkets to folks of Middle Earth. Another important fact: the people of Numenor are the ancestors of the Men of Gondor and the Rangers of the North (Aragorn)...so it all ties down through the history of Middle Earth.

Apparently the new series will occur during this time...so it offers a rich backstory template. So, most likely, the series will occur thousands of years before The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, although the narratives may certainly have call backs or flash forwards. There are a few characters you are familiar with that you may see, but it will almost be certainly limited to a few famous elves (or maybe even an ent?)

18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I'll believe they're doing Wheel of Time when I see it. For a while Amazon was going around spending zillions of dollars to suck up the rights to just about every unattached fantasy and sci-fi book, but it looks like the Tolkien one is the only one with real heat behind it. They probably just didn't want Netflix or Hulu to get them. I would have loved to see Amazon's Conan show come out but they're apparently nothing happening with it.

I'd be pretty excited if they were doing a Silmarillion series, but people trying to do original stories set in Middle-earth...I don't know...

19. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I thought The Hobbit was okay but it was just too freaking long. They got greedy with it. What I really didn't like about it was all the stuff with Tauriel, which felt like some bad fanfic a teenager would come up with, and they totally screwed up the Battle of Five Armies by moving Thorin, Kili, and Fili off the battlefield, so instead of this awesome heroic sacrifice by all of them, we got some kind of miniature slasher movie in which that white Orc guy picks them off like losers. I'm also pretty sure they didn't know who the five armies in the book actually are (men, elves, dwarves, orcs/goblins, and the animal kingdom).

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I know nothing about the wheel of time, other than the 15 minutes I spent just checking it out, but my initial thoughts. I hope they go for it.

- Due to the detail provided by the author, it should be easy to produce and will have a clear plotline
    - The clarity of the plot, and the rules of the world, and the fact that it's published, however, will be working against it's success. The mystery is gone, and that is what many of these long running series rely on. GoT got lucky on that one.
    - It's also a vey linear story like lord of the rings. While circular, it has a linear approach with the good guys honing on the bad guys. They will need to introduce something not in the books to add that third party mystery back in, I think.
    - Because of the detail in the novel, the fanboys will tear the series apart. They need a massive budget to pull this off due to the detail, and they will need some clever direction.
    -I'm interested. I hope they make it. But this is a big budget risk.
    -Has amazon ever done anything like this before? Maybe they should chew off something less complex first.