1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Considering a switch from iPhone to Android

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I’m in desperate need of a new phone (currently have a 6S Plus). I’ve never used an Android, but I’m really considering going for the new Galaxy S10 Plus. My wife made the switch a few years ago, and she doesn’t want to go back to iPhone.

Wanted to see if anyone else here has made the same switch, or what your thoughts are. If I stick with iPhone I would get the XS Max, but the price difference and desire to try something new has me looking at the Galaxy. I expect it will be somewhat of a pain to transfer over. So should I do it, or stick with iPhone?

fallenphoenix likes this.
  2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You really want to be that guy with the green text box on group texts?

Rox11, RasaqBoi, Garner and 7 others like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I’m sticking with the I-Phone. My brother made the switch and really said it wasn’t worth it. He is back to the I-Phone.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You will HATE the way Android does music management. It doesn’t come close to what Apple does. It’s frustrating with the lack of updates. The so-called customization is an illusion. You have to root your phone to really do anything unique ( voids your warranty). Malware and viruses are prevalent in the Google play store. Yes, there are things that Android does well, but it is not worth the annoyance.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It depends a lot on usage type too, ie power user vs wanting to keep it simple. I will say the newer Samsung's finally got it right where you don't have to change much any longer to get a great experience, it's been like that on their phones since about the S8 iirc.

Anyway, I switched around iPhone 5 and never went back. I don't like being tied down to just Apples eco system or one brand, for example if I want to switch to another Android branded phone it's not a problem and I don't lose my apps. With Android I can also buy apps elsewhere (note I'm not saying you need to do this but it's nice to have options), I just didn't like the way Apple handled things (I think it's better now but still not like Android). Since making the switch I've had an S3/Nexus 5/Note 3/S6/Note 5/S9+/Note 9 there might be 1 or 2 I'm missing but I switch a lot.. I'd say around the 8s is when Samsung finally started doing a lot better with their TouchWiz launcher. I know on my s9+/note 9 I haven't even bothered doing crazy customizations because the phone is finally doing a great job out of the box.

The issue with Android initially was the learning curve and sometimes having to ditch the launcher (so desktop visual style etc) entirely in order to get things like you wanted. Now that this is not the case, basic users can get great experiences too. I think the times of Android is too difficult/different is not really the case any longer and it's now coming down to what you want regardless of tech experience level. So looking at specs/usage is finally here for everyone, because for a bit there I was having to run custom roms (in addition to launchers) in order to get certain features I wanted or to get the most out of the phone.

Anyway, unless Apple comes out with something as innovative as their original iPhone I'll probably never go back. I'm not some Apple hater either, they make great products for the most part and their iphone certainly isn't a bad phone or something, but after going to a higher res screen and not having to pay a premium for an oled that Apple thought was some super feature in the iphone x I know I'm not missing out. I've had an oled screen since the Samsung S3... Obviously I lost that on the Nexus 5 iteration , but you get my point.

BleedsRocketRed and Jontro like this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, like 3+ years ago - on updates/needing to root etc etc... It's a lot closer than you think and I've owned both platforms. I do agree though it used to be a mess.

Anyway, what part of music management are you mentioning? Like having to use apples software on your desktop to add songs, or the part where you can plug your android phone in and drag your whole library over with a basic storage interface/explorer window.

I'm pretty sure everyone streams music, but I also know that actual high quality music isn't even being bought from the online trash mp3s/so called lossless audio from Apple/Google/Amazon, if you're looking for the best versions of music go here http://dr.loudness-war.info and search - it'll either be CD (if 80s to early 90s)/LP that you'll have to manually make. I'm definitely serious about this last part regardless of Android/Apple user, especially if you have an actual stereo system and aren't just streaming for quantity over quality. This even applies to new music releases...

malakas, theimpossibles1 and Jontro like this.
  7. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Lol this is dumb

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Android is great. Probably been better than iOS since maybe three years ago.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ha. The only regular group text I’m in currently has 3 Android users and 2 iPhone users (including me).

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Do the Galaxy phones require a case at all times like the iPhone? The reason I’m looking to get a new one right now is because my 6S Plus shattered a few days ago for the third time in the last couple years. And that was with a (cheap) case on it. Thankfully I have Apple Care so I can get it fixed for $30, but still it’s annoying how fragile these phones are.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

not to be that guy but the phone's been around for 12 years and it's spelled "iPhone"
    no capital I, and no hyphen.

as for the switching, i can't do it. I use FaceTime and iMessage way too much to make a drastic move to Android.

12. Buck Turgidson

iDontcare

Invisible Fan, mikol13 and arkoe like this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Unfortunately .. You'll probably need/want a case with whatever phone you get. I used to not get cases and definitely would love not to have one, but all of these phones with the glass/design/thinness/slickness etc they're using are easy to drop and crack. I used to repair phones on the side and would just skip the case on mine but these newer phones aren't even worth trying to take apart vs just getting a case.

I haven't been repairing them in awhile but the iphones were always the easiest to repair the screen on. Of course Apple smartly killed that market when they'll now replace the screen for you for like $150 (while you wait etc.). Anyway, I haven't looked at the newest iPhone teardowns, but if anyone is a diyer the glue used on some of these OLED screens is an art to apply... I'm really good with electronics/mechanics but the damn UV curing glue that some of those phones have used (if just doing the digitizer) is a pain to get it right, unless you're replacing the entire screen etc. And even then heating/removing glue isn't fun. That's one thing I liked on Apple, you needed special tools typically (to do it right starting on the iphone 4), but it could easily be disassembled. These newer phones are all using a lot more glue ..

Sorry for the long post,, tl;Dr - a case is probably a good investment, especially on a phone that retails 1k or whatever they're at now.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Enjoy your OS where you can't even install a program if it isn't approved by apple.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

Brah.

People only care for like the top 10 apps. Not everyone's a power user.
    FB, Insta, Snap, Google maps, Yelp, banking app...

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If one person is Android the entire group text is green. So he’s not going to be “that guy” unless he’s the first person to switch to Android.

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Well I did it. Typing this on my new S10+. Will take some time before I can give a good assessment, but so far so good. This thing is absolutely beautiful.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Even with a Galaxy, make sure to quit throwing your phone at things.

CCity Zero and Harrisment like this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Welcome to the green side. You will enjoy it.

fallenphoenix and Harrisment like this.
  20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

My favorite argument from iPhone users. But... green! What do I care, sounds like your problem.

The only real draw for me to iPhones are their headphones. I hate the way all the other true wireless headphones look in the ear.