1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Celtics 3/3/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 1, 2019.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya he really takes dumb to an all new level, when he speaks you wonder how the F this guy got that job

luckyman76 likes this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep poor harden 15% of fans here would rather trust Cp3 than him in the 4th

I guess he was just lucky he made those shots in the 4th at GSW including game winner with Draymond and Klay double teaming him

3. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I think this will change a little bit over the course of the next month as James and CP3 switch on ISO but it is definitely by design. In his normal minute rotation he always takes that breather at the end of the 3rd and comes back with about 9 or 8:30 left in the 4th. He knows he has to stay in so it is a lot about pacing and controlling tempo. He also knows in those winning minutes he has to play D and cannot take plays off. I think he also uses it to try and cut down on TOs because he used to do a lot of those wild frenetic passes in the 3rd to do quick transition sets and push the pace and it doesn't work in the 4th. Also, he needs to get the other team in the bonus and may not get the calls. He checks the lane to see if it is open for a drive but the opposing team D also usually picks up in the 4th (more timeouts and pressure defensive sets) as well so all of these factors play in as teams get tight. This is usually why the Rockets leads recede or they are able to come back in the 4th. It's like a prevent D but on O as the game becomes very halfcourt. In the playoffs you have to really fight to make the transition O important because the game does evolve into a very sluggish halfcourt game.

Teams like the Celtics last year made their bank on constantly fouling and earning a good D reputation that has not worked this year. They are less handsy but still get away with a lot of it. They just have a lineup that doesn't work. They got Kyrie and Hayward when they were sitting on a lineup of Brown, Tatum, Rozier, and Smart that just play better and scrappier together.

T for 3 and hakeem94 like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I know you didn't ask me the question, but I wanted to briefly comment on late game situations with James. I believe his mindset is just like any superstar, eg Kobe and Jordan. I can make the winning shot. Since, he doesn't rely on extreme athleticism, he starts dribbling the ball for his stepback. Sometimes, it works, but obviously it's difficult with the clock ticking away. He really wants to win, so it's really not a question of hero ball. This is the hardest thing to change for any superstar, including James because of his mindset. Harden wants to prove to everyone that he can do it. MDA can help him make better decisions in the clutch, by telling him to look for other options like Chris and Eric if they are relatively free, if he is being guarded too tightly.
    James shows great joy when Eric, Chris or Gerald hit the game winner.
    I think he might be milking the clock when we have big leads. Perhaps he is conserving stamina when he gets tired. Opposing defenses get very tight under the last three minutes, but he feels the pressure to make the big shots. Our team's complacency on defense makes things difficult for him too. Late game situation play is going to be a learning process for Harden.

#1144 saleem, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    BeBreezy, Hakeemtheking and T for 3 like this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Good answer.

saleem likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks. Just my humble opinion.

hakeem94, Killatron 2000 and BeBreezy like this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One of the most important takeaways... the Rockets were still outrebounded by the Celtics but only by two. But the Celtics are a small team (even shorter than the Rockets) as their tallest players are 6'-10". Boxing out is even more important against bigger teams, but some times the other team's C is large enough to simply reach over PJ or even Faried.

hakeem94, Vivi, Remlap and 3 others like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

The Rockets improved to 12-0 when Paul gets double-digit assists this season. if you go back to last season, they're now 27-1.

hakeem94, Vivi, Remlap and 4 others like this.
  11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Far"weed" had a bad fall trying hold on at the rodeo.

Clark didn't play.

Our prayers are with Austin rivers at this time as he looks for jump shot.

Pj Tucker has been work in progress for quite some time.

12. biff17

biff17 Member

Clark did play are you just going full on troll mode now?

13. Remlap

Remlap Member

Yep. He does that. Just trolls the site trying to get a rise out of anybody
    He can't get enough mileage out of his Farweed phrase. Tries to use it with every post

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Great win, was at the game. Is there a video of Harden's last two fouls? They didn't show any replays at TD Garden but his 5th looked like absolute BS.