1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BimaThug] how the rockets can avoid the tax while signing buyout guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

I would think the Rockets FO already did their due diligence, but I speculate they had a plan A that fell through so they went with plan B which was to get below the luxury tax this season so that we can try to go big again next year. You can all b**** about Morey/TF right now, but I'm going to wait to see what happens down the road. I'll be extremely happy if we spend big this summer/next trade deadline. It'll mean TF was true to his word. We're just teeing the ball up right now.

As a fan it furkin sucks though because we all want to win now. We want to be the David to GS Goliath. It has been a historical season and it really sucks to postpone going all out until next season... even if it is the right move in the long run.

I think Plan A was to land certain players. If that happened then we'd be going way into LT territory right now... but once plan A fell through, the remainder of the pieces probably barely put us over the LT so the decision was made to go ahead and get under the LT and swing for the fences next season.

Edit: Just want to repeat this is all speculation on my part

#61 Louka, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I get that many are upset about the way this team is managing the cap, but keep in mind that the moves we did will help us beyond this season. Shumpert's 11M coming off the books will help us re-sign Rivers, Faried, and other FA's - last year, we were stuck chasing guys like Ennis because we didnt have much money to spend. Ennis signed for 1.6M/year - compare this to Luol Deng who basically hasnt seen the court for two years and received 2.4M/year, or Jamal Crawford who got roughly 2.4M as well at the age of 38. Montrezl Harrell signed for 6M per year - think about what this team would be like if we could have signed him back? Brook Lopez signed for 3.4M for the year - what if he was on the team backing up Capela instead of Nene?

Again, these arent high value targets, but nonetheless sat outside of our pay range because of where we were with the Knight contract. Getting out from underneath that should help not only our immediate needs in the buyout market, but pay dividends in the offseason where we can be a little more active signing strong FAs.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

D Antoni will now insert Capela in for free throw situations at end of games. Cap may start taking the technical free throws. Lol.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's absolutely unreal to me that a team that literally had a one-year window for a championship is having to go through all these machinations just to avoid the tax. We never even got to experience an extended run of success, and here we are literally rooting against one of our guys to succeed just so his bonus doesn't hit. Why hasn't GS, Boston, OKC, Toronto, Philly, Milwaukee, etc had to go through the same exercise after such a short period of time??

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He won't make the DREB%. We can pretty much rule out that incentive this year.

imo, Morey will operate as if the other two are met (FT% and WCF). Although, going into the last week, there should be a better idea of whether he will make the FT%, so he can offer House more MLE, in that event. But Morey willl not do all this work, and go into the playoffs needing the Rockets to Fail to make WCF in order to be under the tax. He'll treat that $1m incentive as met, wrt signing contracts.

Richie_Rich, cbs1507, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It won't though.

We are over the cap, with no bird rights, and we can only use expceptions to sign Faried, Rivers, etc. That was true before and after the trade.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You really think you come out and say, "hey Clint, we're benching you so we can save money and deny you bonuses! Deal with it."

No, you say we're going to scale back your minutes and quite possibly sit you on back to backs so that we can keep you fresh for the playoffs, which would benefit our main goal of winning a championship this season.

People management guys, get you some.

Smacktle likes this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tilman's buyout target is MORE LUXURY TAX PROFIT!

JVL713, Dgn1 and J.R. like this.
  9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's another reason I'm skeptical about next season aside from Tilman being a cheap b*stard. We may not even be able to afford to keep the current roster together. And we're supposed to believe that Tilman is gonna shell out money for someone else in addition to Rivers, Faried, and Shumpert?

justtxyank likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey: "Clint, take a seat, thanks for coming."
    Tilman: "So, ready to get back to playing? Bet you are."
    Clint: "Yes, I'm ready. I hate not playing."
    Morey: "Clint, this is sort of a.......delicate matter, so don't discuss it with anyone, please?"
    Clint: "Well, the trade deadline passed, so I shouldn't be too nervous....." (notices sweat on Tilman's upper lip) "What's up?"
    Tilman: "Clint, there might come a time this season when we ask you to go full 'Season 1' on your free throws."
    Morey: "You remember your first season at the free throw line."
    Clint: "You want me to miss? What about our seeding? What about home court? I KNEW IT. 'No bonus for you, Clint'!"
    Tilman: "No no no, see, we can take care of that. There are ways of you getting your money. You see?"
    Clint: (long pause) "One million dollars. Non-sequential bills. Swiss bank account. This summer."
    Morey: "Clint, I think that's a little---"
    Tilman: "---Fair! Peeeeerfectly fair. You got it, bud. And this meeting never happened." (stands, shakes Clint's hand, leaves office)
    Clint: "I feel sick. Like I'm gonna throw up."
    Morey: "You mean, you feel like you just ate at Landry's?"
    (they laugh)

#70 ROXTXIA, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because Every team you listed didn't have to sign two players to $40 mil deals. We did. Remember that Kawhi is due next season, Philly and Mil haven't even paid their stars a super max contract, GS got off easy paying Steph $10 mil a year and KD took less, Boston still has to pay Kyrie and OKC is gonna pay the repeater for a second round exit.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah this is what is being ignored.

We will be over the cap regardless of what happens with Shump. Best guess is they will try to re-sign him because they won't have any cap space to replace him.

As for the buyout guys we have on the roster, we'll be able to offer all of them the same situation:
    -1 year veterans Minimum
    OR
    -1 year increase (like we wanted to give Moute)
    OR
    -Some portion of the tax payer MLE (either all to one, or divided up)

Let's just go crazy and say we add Ellington and Markieff in the buyout market. We'd have Markieff, Ellington, Austin Rivers and Faried all free agents next year PLUS Danuel House (maybe/probably?) that we'd be at least interested in keeping. Markieff would seem to be a lock to get at least a full MLE offer somewhere, same with Ellington.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

why are people worried about that. you have a significant part of the board saying they all suck. "I Have grown to hate austin rivers", Faried won't make a difference, Shumpert sucks. so according to them why would it take a ton of money to keep them

so which is it? are these guys good that its going to take some money to keep them. or do they all suck like whats been posted and its going to be easy to keep them with minimal money. back and forth, back and forth, back and forth

IvanLCPM and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

He's the sole owner and spent $2 billion. Come on y'all. Let the man make a profit. Next season he might not be as "cheap." If I were the owner and fans were on the payroll y'all's asses would get waived.

cbs1507 and chievous minniefield like this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

when did you become one of the most consistently negative posters on here? I feel like a couple years ago your posts were always analytical and insightful. Did you sell your account? Lol

People are hung up on Bimas mention of Capela but to me the biggest risk here by far is trying to integrate someone so late in the season.

CXbby and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They don't need to come out and say it. You think Clint and his agent are morons? They're not gonna notice a sudden arbitrary reduction in playing time? And it's not like he needs the rest considering he'll be coming off a 5-week hiatus thanks to the thumb injury.

The mere fact that we're having this discussion about benching the team's 2nd best player in order to save money when the Rockets need every last win they can get simply to secure home court in the first round is beyond pathetic.

IvanLCPM, joshuaao, Dgn1 and 2 others like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i fully believe that down the road capela will eventually be salary dumped before tilman ever pays $1 of lux tax

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Christ if we limit capelas minutes to avoid bonus I will take a dump on Tilmans front lawn

joshuaao and Slam Dunk like this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I expect him pay the tax, it would be nearly impossible not to. I don't think he'll pay MUCH tax though. A few million over the threshold maybe. Dumping Knight basically ruled out that they'll ever be a mega tax team quite frankly because we don't have any meaningful way to add enough salary.

Best trade offer we'll be able to make to any team dumping a salary would only bring back like $20 million which would be a net increase to us of like 4 or 5 million. It's equally difficult to envision a scenario where we are WAY over the tax line as it is one where we never go over.

I expect next year we will re-sign Shump (assuming he's not trash between and the end of the season) and then use our full tax payer MLE. That will basically have us right over the tax line after we fill out the roster with minimum guys.

20. Rocketsfan3422

Cp3 looks more and more like the greatest signing of all time...