1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade for Iman Shumpert

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Feb 6, 2019.

1. thekad

thekad Member

Sure, it would be nice for the Rockets to get under the tax this year since they have already spent Melton and two picks to dump salary. But just because it’s relatively easy to do now doesn’t mean Tillman sees it that way.

Next year, they can just “run it back” with the same scrubs they have behind CP3/Harden/Gordon/Tucker/Capela now. Shumpert’s expiring contract falls off and there - under the tax.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't think it is going to happen, but we can trade both Shuppert and Stauskas to get Evans, if we don't need to aggregate their salaries for salary matching. You could just trade Stauskas as a separate transaction.

PWR likes this.
  3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Pretty sure Washington got 2 expiring contracts for him rockets didn’t have his type of salary on any exprining.

Plus paying a guy like him almost 30m a season is dumb.

He’s a good player but cmon he’s not worth 28m a yr and going way over the luxury tax. He ain’t moving the needle.

Now I’m still bitter about not getting jimmy butler cause he should be here but Otto no thank you.

4. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

It's perfectly true that I don't know how much of the WAS/CHI trade was Porter. He's fine and not expensive. But much of this was getting Parker to dump salary. And as for Washington thinks, I am proud to match my record of zero trades any day against nearly every move Ernie Grunfeld has ever made.

I really don't know if they could have gotten Porter, absolutely true. I know what they did get, and it's crap. Not just in my eyes, but relative to the value of first rounders as demonstrated by this current trade market.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

is someone actually disputing that?

6. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Refer to the guy I was replying to lmao

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

So can they be flipped immediately, before the February 7th deadline?
    Edit; Sorry, I got. It's possible to move Iman Shumpert.

9. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Quite fair. I'm higher on Porter than many. I would have been perfectly satisfied with not doing this deal for Shumpert at 11 million and instead paying a ton less for House. And saving the first rounder for the draft or trade later.

saleem likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

i noticed. but was hoping my eyes were deceiving me

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

100 out of 100

BigShasta likes this.
  12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

UNDERSIZED power forward, you mean?

The Hayes > Landry > Dorsey > Jones > Tucker bloodline is alive. Morey still has wet dreams about it.

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

The time to win is now. It's not the time to be worrying about next year's trades.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

15. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

That's one of those opinion things, I suppose. I think getting a mediocre player in a salary dump in exchange for a 1st rounder is a poor use of resources—but hey, that's just me.

For what it's worth, I do have a little inside info on Shumpert from a reporter friend, who agrees with my assessment of his talent/value, but offers this silver lining: "Pretty much agree. Nice guy, though. Loved his hats." So at least there's that. I like a nice hat.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is no time restrictions on re-trading a player. You just can't aggregate their salaries.

Just in July, Mozgov was traded for Dwight, then traded the next day to Magic.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm just responding to your question. I listed a handful of guys from the last 2 drafts, that are helping immediately.

The player it netted at the wing is an upcoming FA.

You put the odds of the Rockets winning a championship this year at what??

Also, we all know "championship experience" is kind of useless. Ariza had that and put up AS BAD A GAME as you'll EVER see in a championship-pressure type spot in the playoffs last year. Seriously... has there ever been a guy in a game 7 to play 40+ minutes, go 0-12, with a -5.3 gamescore?? lol. So that championship experience doesn't mean that much.

Like I said, for a better player... ok.

OR... if the Rockets were sitting at the #2 seed and having another "great" regular season.... ok. But we're still playing catchup, still injured, and still going against a much tougher West and tougher GSW.

In effect, we've sold off our first round pick for tax savings. With some potential upside.... some. Could just sign House. Same as Shumpert, but younger and taller.

But maybe there's another move coming.... this was about tax savings

18. Entropy

Entropy Member

Horrible, I don't trust this guy's knee. It'll probably give out on him before the end of the season.

19. jcf

jcf Member

"lottery protected this year" lol

heypartner likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean you obviously have youre view of him. "inside info" isnt really necessary for those that follow the game outside of the rockets.