1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon is not a good trade asset

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Feb 6, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Fair enough. I was basing that point more off of what happened in New Orleans . But then again , I dunno the whole story

topfive likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Eric's a hard guy to get a read on. Very different kind of dude from most of the team, personality-wise.

snowconeman22 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, teams like Charlotte, Indiana...these are teams i can see giving up a pick or a young player for him. Nothing that would help us win now, but an asset to flip in another deal.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

not worthy enough to have a movement for, bro

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why the hell would you start this thread now. SMFH.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Quick! Delete it before @DelDemps sees it!

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps but 2/12 from 3 point line in game 7

but i blame the system of forced 3s not eric

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Regardless of his trade value, Gordon has value as a Houston Rocket.

Vivi, justtxyank and HP3 like this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eric Gordon is playing for peanuts on a contract that expires next year...
    The man has been asked to expand the role that's kept him healthy and efficient.
    EG's drop in efficiency, and increased injuries which exxagerate it should be no surprise. Due to his All Star talent, Gordon is capable of doing a lot out there(all around) ..at a price, at a price..

We should be defending a title from a magical season that he played a huge part in.
    So, let's show some respect for a guy that has fought back multiple times from major injuries...TOOK A LESSER ROLE...showed the discipline to do this and mature into a "consummate" pro. ( though he may always be dinged up at ghe deadline : )- )

Not a dig at you or anyone else snowconeman...Just a FTR deal..

I think he's a better piece than many of you guys give him credit for...To a contender , he is valuable.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Eric Gordon is the most overrated Rockets player on this board...there were quite a few last year who wouldn’t have given him up in a trade for Paul George, and I still remember a post saying that Beal wasn’t an upgrade over him...smh

a lot of teams could use him, but all these trade proposals where it’s headlined by him and some picks for *insert star here* need to stop

snowconeman22, James.B.H and mfastx like this.
  11. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

stopped reading after on the wrong end of 30.

12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Doesnt even matter...not going to the merits of this post.. but Harden and Rockets see Gordon as big piece of what we do....they dont want to trade him.

And they wont trade him unless there is a superstar to begotten.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Eric is forcing this year to keep the shot attempts that he had last year. He was aggressive and needed to bak James up and Cp3. This years things have been off not to mention their has been no steady rotation so that the team as a whole can come together and define roles and get a rhythm

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You are not far off OP but are judging him in a vacuum. He's a fringe starter, yes. He is a good bench player. He's having a bad season, but it is an out of character bad season, he may not become the best version of himself but a bounce back to average is likely.

Take Sacramento for example. They are bringing Yogi Ferrell off the bench, who is a worse defender and worse scorer than Gordon, and while he's a better passer some of their offense goes through Bjelica and Bogdanovic when they're on the floor. Replacing Ferrell in the rotation for Gordon would help their second unit. It would afford them a couple minutes extra rest for Fox/Hield without worrying much. He has value there, even though it is not the primary area they're looking to upgrade (they are looking for a big wing like us). Just like we would look at DeAndre Jordan as our backup C on the buyout market even though it's not our priority area to improve, they would not ignore the opportunity to improve somewhere when they're in such a tightly contested race for the playoffs.

In a scenario like that you probably can't get them to cough up picks, but you might be able to convince them to deal us Randolph's expiring and a meh prospect like Labissiere, someone they've given up on but other team may see his value as higher than picking in the second round. That's a package that can be re-routed to a team we're looking to deal with.

Now you can get the LT savings via Randolph's contract, while Labissiere/Chriss/Knight could conceivably bring back for example Kent Bazemore and Justin Anderson. Now we've saved money and imo improved the roster even though Bazemore is not the most ideal fit. But if you're going to play Harden at the 3 and want a starting 2, Bazemore is not undersized for that position (he is an inch taller, and has 2 inches longer wingspan than Gordon). Justin Anderson is good insurance at the 3/4 position and I believe can be renounced end of season.

All of this and we preserved our pick. This kind of thing is not sexy but we would now finally be sitting on a roster we can live with, especially since we can now offer multiple 1st rounders and Bazemore's expiring contract in the summer to acquire a serious upgrade.

Again, not my favorite outcome, but just to illustrate what's roughly possible with Gordon's contract (please don't @ me about how you disagree that the trades are possible, they are illustrative only, the point is something underrated can be worked out).

15. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

EG is the only reason were still any good,
    Harden needs to be surrounded by knock down 3 point shooters and defenders to let him iso and to help defend the durants of the world
    It's basketball 101. If there's no EG watch harden get triple teamed then he can pass out to Ennis and Clark I bet you will be real happy then

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, I remember that too, that was insane.

Reeko likes this.
  17. rockets13champs

Shut up man

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

He's a good player on a fair contract. I think most teams would like to have him on their team. But, he's not young and he has had some injuries.

He is a positive trade asset, which is more than we can say about many of our other players. He's not going to bring back a big haul in a trade because he's not young and he's not on a super cheap contract.

I like Gordon and I'm perfectly happy keeping him on the team.

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey tried to trade him the last 2 years and failed, don't see why it changes this year especially since EG is getting older and more injuries have added to his medical history.

20. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Even last year when he was playing great in the playoffs, he was clutch but he was not efficient. He hit two big threes, but most of the time his three weren't falling.