1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Lloyd] Cavs engaged with Rockets on deal involving Alec Burks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sogood., Feb 5, 2019.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sounds like a reporter.

bmelo and Zboy like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

One can only hope that Morey uses one 1st to dump Knight and then use 2+ 1sts to pull this move. *Sigh*

IMG_20190206_075506.jpg

BaselineFade and tc0330 like this.
  3. thekad

thekad Member

What in the world are you talking about? The Rockets would be giving up the 2nds to dump Chriss and Ennis...

4. Drogba

Drogba Member

How is every contender acquiring All Stars & borderline ones while the best we can do is Alec Burks lol.

Finally have our first Superstar since Dream & these are the best players we can surround him with.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The buyout market is looking worse everyday. Philly is now a prime destination for anyone looking to get minutes on a contender.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey has had to wheel and deal to get every player on this team. If you go through a 10 year rebuilding period where you draft your stars, a side benefit is that you'll have a roster full of younger, cheaper non-stars that other teams can say "yeah ok, I'll take that guy." The Rockets, by virtue of needing to trade for their stars and use trades and free agency for every competent player on the roster (except Capela) just don't have any "assets" that are attractive. All we get to draft with each year are late 2nd round picks that turn into guys that you can squint really hard and see a borderline rotation player, maybe, someday. Those types are throw ins in trades, not pieces that a team targets.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Youre right he's awful...Awfully good at helping me buy a **** ton of crab legs now that I am no longer financially troubled!

- tilman

psaman17 and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. justtxyank

I hear you, but they already were a prime destination.

That said, not going to be many shots on that team lol. But yes, there isn't much chance that Houston is at the top of the list for buyout candidates. Normally the only chance for money to make a difference is if it's a BIG difference, like a full MLE vs the minimum. Is an extra million going to persuade someone to pick us over Golden State or Philly? Doubtful. Guy would have to want us instead and then just benefit from the extra money.

The Rockets obviously want Wes Matthews. They've used every single reporter, including local radio guys now, to put out their interest including a suggestion that they would trade for him right now. They want him to pick HOU if he gets bought out. Chances are though that he'll take Golden State or Philly.

9. bmelo

bmelo Member

We had drafted Melton(guard with defense and 3pt) + had Ryan on our roster. Traded them for two unplayable roster spots that are as moveable as Ryan. Now we try to trade them for guard with defense + 3pt.

[​IMG]

10. justtxyank

I won't defend the Ryno trade, but that misrepresents Melton a little. It's not clear at all that he'll ever have a 3 pt shot. I liked him as a prospect though.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I’m not saying we should expect anything.

I’m just saying don’t waste a pick of all you’re going to do is being back another terrible player just because the owner wants more money to save.

justtxyank likes this.
  12. tc0330

tc0330 Member

lol i guess this is the definition of "all in". what a joke

MarioKissoDeath and RyanB like this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's shooting around 30 percent from the 3 point line. He barely gets playing time on a bottom feeder team. He wasn't going to help us this season.

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Belated congrats on your one year anniversary on CF, hater.

15. justtxyank

Burks doesn't "suck" it's just underwhelming.

In a vacuum, trading Knight for Burks is a good deal. Burks can play here. He can shoot, he's long and can switch. He's a mediocre defender at best, but people are convinced that he can be good enough. Historically VERY inconsistent on defense and a bad decision maker. So again, doesn't suck, certainly would rather have him on the team than Knight.

However...

1) He's not a needle mover so it's a fringe upgrade of minutes at the end of the rotation
    2) You are paying a 1st round pick for that slight upgrade
    3) Dumping Knight is commendable only as a "process transaction." It's a good value move because of the money it saves, but it doesn't help the team win
    4) Dumping Knight now actually costs you the ability to use him as an expiring contract NEXT season when he might actually have value

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wise words. Wes might just end up there, who knows DJ might agree to be a backup to Embiid. He can still play a significant role there.

Mathloom likes this.
  17. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

How underwhelming.

18. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Ok, misread you there. So we're giving up two 2nd rounders to a 3rd team to take our shitty players, that team is gonna then go give Miami an asset so that Miami can give us Ellington?

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This is not a certainty either, which makes the situation even more grim.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pretty much what I'm saying. Obviously I'd take Burks over Knight, but if it's going to cost a 1st, I don't really see the point. Keep the pick and use it elsewhere in a move that actually moves you forward.

As usual, I trust Morey, but it'll be annoying if this trade deadline is strictly Tillman-motivated.

joshuaao and justtxyank like this.