1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(David Locke) Rockets about to make multiple trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 3, 2019.

1. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I know Beal is a long shot. The only way we get Beal is if no one else offers four picks, and WSH thinks they can get off Wall's contract by using the ROX picks as sweeteners.

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

TRADEWATCH 2019

Still no teams willing to gift us a good player for expensive trash cans and late round picks. Imagine that. Oh, how about Gordon since he's falling off and acting gimpy AF? No? Imagine that.

I'm fully expecting a salary dump rather than Morey magic.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It’s February. Morey suppose to get busy.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

"A lot of things happen at the trade deadline, a lot of moving pieces. We tried to add some pieces but ultimately fell short."

Louka, Richie_Rich, bmelo and 4 others like this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

These kinds of takes drive me crazy. Rockets have made the WCF twice in the last few years, got unlucky, ran into a buzzsaw that is the Warriors who are in the middle of a damn generational level dynasty. Morey has done everything he could to surround Harden with the best players, brought in Dwight when he was the hottest FA in the world, that didn't work then he maestro'd Chris Paul, which no one thought could work with Harden and they went OFF last year. Hired D'Antoni when everyone thought he sucked, he promptly won coach of the year. Btw, who stole Harden from OKC in the first place? We are lucky as all hell to have Morey as our GM.

You want to see a franchise that wastes generational level talent? Watch the Texans.....

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I hate to say that I'm expecting the tried-and-true quote here, but I'm probably more in the add-strong-depth than add-All-Star talent.

Beal? I'd see him as a summer trade candidate. Most teams don't have the guts to trade the player about to represent them in the All Star game. I'd like to be wrong, but even then, to get such a player, we'd probably have to eat a bad salary.

Anyway, Hope Springs Eternal.

snowconeman22 and Matt78777 like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Knight + 2 first and Chriss and whatever other trash outgoing for Bradley Beal. :rolleyes:

8. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Brobama that gave me a real life actual chill. My body was indeed, not ready...

9. Garner

Garner Member

I don't really understand this attitude.

Morey's TMac to the Knicks trade and trading for Harden were incredible poo poo platter deals that really benefited the team.

It's always possible.

DreamShook, Vivi, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Please No that would be a waste.

aroundtheblock2 likes this.
  11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Because they've been trying to trade the same poo poo platter all year, to a league that has probably wised up to Morey's poo poo platter salesmanship.

Certainly don't think a Harden-level trade is coming, probably never will happen like that again. I have appreciated Morey a thousand times over, and I don't even really super blame him about the cards he has in hand. I'm just kind of over feeling like some other team wants these cards, at the expense of losing one of their better players.

Honestly, it's really not like an outlandish take...

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Why the HELL would we want John Wall? Starting next year, he's got 4 years on his contract that escalate from $38M to $47M. And he plays the same position as a guy we just invested $160M in, so we'd have to ask either CP3 or Wall to come off the bench as a $40M backup PG? AND he's out for the season, so he'd be useless to us this year, to boot.

And you're saying we'd take both Wall AND Porter, with his own $27M/yr?

Let me put this to you as gently as I can: You don't know what the f%$k you're talking about.

#332 topfive, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I hate the constant whining on this but that graphic is F-ing hilarious. Nice work.

14. s3ts

s3ts Member

Benefits of Morey do outweigh the cons.

But ignoring the cons is just turning a blind eye. Creating the albatross contract of Ryno is a huge no-no, and now we're trying to save money since we're over the luxury tax, cutting every corner we can to do so.

CP's contract is icing on the cake -- Ryno's contract was a bigger gamble than this, but CP does not look the same as last season.

We've got time, in essence. Harden and CP are locked up for a long time, and we just need to surround them with good players. But we need more. Why? Because our players are injured. Why? Because our rotation is only 7-deep, especially during the playoffs.

With us losing Ariza/Mbah a Moute, we need solid wing players to guard 1, 2, 3, and even 4 at times.
    We need someone who can be a threat at the 3-pt line every single night, not just streaky. Preferably someone who plays the 2 or 3.
    Not to mention the inconsistent play from Rivers, meaning we probably need another PG who can play with more consistency in case CP is out.

And that's IN ADDITION to what we have, not trading them away like we're most likely going to do with EG or maybe even Tuck. No huge off-season splashes like with CP or D12, we're going to have to trade talent for talent and gamble that it will be more than a lateral move.

bmelo likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You absolute could make a case that the Rockets could get into a 3-team deal Conley to Utah, Green & {Player-X} to Houston and Knight+Pick to Memphis.

Clearly the Rockets could deal directly with Memphis. But they also could be brought in as a 3rd team to get another asset.

Corrosion, JoeBarelyCares and Nook like this.
  16. Garner

Garner Member

A harden trade will never happen in the NBA again. we traded Kevin Martin and a 1st rounder for a MVP (2 time?)

Nobody is asking you to feel a certain way.

This board tells itself a narrative about what Morey is doing, how other teams are thinking about Morey, and what is and is not possible based on the microfraction of actual information we collectively have. Then based on our tiny bit of information, people freak out before the play is over that Morey should be fired and he's incapable.

It's just rabid craziness that has infected this board for years.

Louka and don grahamleone like this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

With apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but Jared Dudley's answer is a reminder for us all.
    I only posted part of the story.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25886406/so-just-got-traded-now-nba-players-share-their-stories

So you just got traded -- now what? NBA players share their stories

In the aftermath of a trade, reaction from around the league shifts to debating which team won the deal and which team lost it. Television analysts break down the deal's cap implications and on-court impact. What we don't talk about? The careers -- and lives -- that are often changed in an instant.

Below, players talk about the moments before a trade, how to deal with the fallout and the adjustments needed to join a new team midseason.

What are the moments before getting traded like?
    Jared Dudley, Brooklyn Nets: I would say this: 90 percent of the rumors on social media don't happen. It's the ones that are super quiet, that's when your agent says, "Here it is."

Ed Davis, Brooklyn Nets: So we got on the plane to Atlanta on a Monday, and I'm sitting by DeMar DeRozan, and I'm like, "Damn, there's so many different people [onboard]." All the scouts, GM, president, everybody's on the flight -- something's up. I didn't think I was getting traded. At Tuesday's shootaround, s--- started to get funny for me. I started to notice that the coaches who used to be on me, no one was saying nothing. It was a little weird. I still didn't pay any mind to it. After shootaround, we came back to the hotel. I woke up from a nap, and it was, like, 3 o'clock. My Twitter mentions and texts were going crazy. [Davis was dealt from Toronto to Memphis in January 2013.]

Doug McDermott, Indiana Pacers: I was in Toronto with the Knicks, went to shootaround, went to take my pregame nap. My agent told me the night before he doesn't think anything's going to happen. [The next day] he said, "I heard they are getting calls on you. Keep your phone on loud." And five minutes into my nap, [makes a ringing sound]. I knew it wasn't the alarm. [Knicks GM] Scott Perry just kind of told me the deal and the route they were going. I was a little blindsided by it because I was on the trip to Toronto. I didn't think anything was going to happen. Once you're there, you kind of feel like, "OK, shootaround, here we go." [McDermott, who has been traded three times, was dealt from New York to Dallas in February 2018.]

hakeem94 and DreamShook like this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm trying to think of a time Morey has traded for a player that was generally considered good to great around the league.

Morey Traded for Harden when he was considered a 6th man.
    Morey traded for Lowry when he was on the bench in Memphis
    Morey traded for Dragic when he was a bench player and was having a down year
    Morey picked up players like Parsons, AB, Carl Landry, Beverley, Clint, Montrezl when no one else wanted them.
    Morey got EG when everyone thought he was done.

Morey has ALWAYS dealt in poo poo platters. He has always tried to find scallops on someone else's platter.

cbs1507 and J Sizzle like this.
  19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Uhh... he traded for Chris Paul last year....

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

CP3 wanted to come here. Morey just made the salaries work.