1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018-2019] Jeremy Lin as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Jul 12, 2018.

1. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Everyone is people who don't have a bias against him.

2. yoeddy

I agree that Lin was not able to reach his potential as a player. But he is currently a much better player than he was during Linsanity. Much of his success during Linsanity had to do with how well his skills fit with the system the Knicks were playing and how "all in" his teammates were with this system. Once Carmelo came back from injury, it fell apart...so no matter what Lin was going to "tap into it again", the team success and individual performance wasn't coming back. And since then, he hasn't had anything close to that...LA was super-disfunctional, Charlotte had the "all in" teammates but maybe not the system. Brooklyn had everything but he was injured. And Atlanta doesn't have the players.

Can't really compare Harden and Lin. Harden has far more natural ability...Lin does not have the physical tools other than his first step to do anything near what Harden can do.

3. yoeddy

I don't know if it's "mental toughness", but rather it's his desire/willingness to be accommodating. He is ultimately a team player, so he will defer when he thinks it makes sense to defer.

A big part of Lin not reaching his potential has come from not having any real continuity in his career. The longest he's been with a team is 2 years, and he's only done that twice (or once if you consider that he didn't really play in Brooklyn because of injuries). Every other year, he's had to learn how to work with a new coach, teammates and system, new environment, and even new role...and as such, there was no real opportunity to get any continuity for growth. You can see what happens to players when they get that chance by looking at Brooklyn...guys like Dinwiddie, Harris, Russell, etc...all vastly improved with the continuity that Brooklyn gave them. Especially Dinwiddie and Harris...you can imagine that these guys would have ended up being journeymen players if they jumped from team to team every year.

And just to add...I'm clearly not saying that this type of "not reaching potential because of lack of continuity" is unique to Lin. I'm sure even HUNDREDS of NBA players end up not reaching their potential because of specific situations they find themselves in...just a little bummed that it happened to my fellow Asian-American and Ivy League alum...

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean everyone is an imaginary majority that believes the basketball world revolves around Jeremy

roslolian likes this.
  5. yoeddy

Um, no. I mean people who are basketball fans who look at players and teams rationally. You might be right that that is not a majority, but rational people are usually correct.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

The rational people who want Jeremy Lin to be traded every year ?

7. yoeddy

Who wants Jeremy to be traded every year? I don’t know if any rational fan who wanted to see Jeremy traded from Brooklyn or Charlotte or Houston or even LA, do you?

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Definitely wanted him out of Houston

clutchdabear and tinman like this.
  9. yoeddy

I said "rational fans"...

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Every Rockets fan wanted him out after his sub par tenure and incredibly bad playoff performances.

You forget he got demoted from starter to bench.

The telling tale is that the Lakers didn't give us anything for him, WE GAVE HIM TO THE LAKERS

Thank you Lakers!
    @Zboy

11. adoo

adoo Member

that underscores the stupidity of Morey's decision to over-bid for the then-FA,
    whose claim to fame was a great 3-wk run under Antoni's offense

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Considering we got him in what was suppose to be a "tank" year since Harden only joined just before the regular season started...

jordnnnn likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

I believe there was marketing impact and hype included.
    definitely did not meet expectations and certainly not even close to Yao's impact on basketball and Rockets fans.

14. adoo

adoo Member

so u agreed that it was a stupid decision by Morey

what was the expectation for an undrafted baller who had a great 3 wk-run running Antoni's system before an season-ending injury,

ur confused, w this false equivalency

Yao was the top pick overall

Lin was undrafted; later cut by GW and the Rox, or Dal;

on the basis of Lin's great 3 wk-run running Antoni's system before an season-ending injury,
    Morey's decision to overbid for such a FA was stupid.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't know if that decision was made by Morey by himself

I know Yao and Lin are not on the same level, but the Lin fans think they were

16. adoo

adoo Member

why can't just say the decision to over-bid for Lin, the FA, was stupid​

FWIW,
    I am a Lin fan, i have never thought that he is on the same level as Yao​

#576 adoo, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

your join date says you are not a 'Lin Only Fan'

The Knicks not overpaying for Lin is a tell, because the Knicks overpay for everyone

18. adoo

adoo Member

unsolicited corroboration that Morey's decision to over-bid the Knick is just stupid.

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

wow, there are still people discussing about jeremy lin?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Les
    Alexander