1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Pelosi-Trump State of the Union Address Chess Match

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 16, 2019.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It was an incentivation strategy to open the government. He had time to work out a deal before he lost the ability to have the decorum of the normal pageantry of the SOTU.

Trumps last minute cancelling of a visit to NATO and the troops had no negotiation incentive and was pure spite.

I’m in the profession of sales performance myself and train this stuff to corporations for a living. Deadlines move deals to execute. Why do you think so many NBA trades happen at the deadline?

Petty or not, Pelosi’s use of the SOTU as a deadline incentive to drive the execution of a deal.

No Worries and adoo like this.
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Interesting political drama, otherwise agree. Pelosi doesn't want the SOTU now because she thinks it would work to Trump's advantage.

Likewise with the travel junket.

3. dobro1229

Also in my profession with any "Opportunity Pursuit" strategy there is a concept of "Win Fast/Lose Fast". Meaning, time is money, we need to be able to evaluate the deals that we have the highest likelihood of winning because what sucks money out of organizations is pursuing big deals they have no real shot at winning. It drains resources. Our methodology has tools for Scoring opportunities before pursuit.

Trumps approach seems to be Win slow, Lose Slow. Every single decision he makes in a negotiation ensures the deal will drain everyone's resources & stamina in the process for the deals that are the most unlikely to be made.

I've been at this more than a decade now. I work with companies BECAUSE they are bad at selling. I've never seen anyone more inept at selling & negotiations than Donald Trump. If he didn't have his name, nobody would ever do a deal of any sort with this con artist.

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Disagree (see above). I think Pelosi doesn't want the SOTU for exactly the opposite reason. She thinks it would work in Trump's favor, and put pressure on the Dems to compromise. The SOTU still happens regardless, just an issue of timing. The timing isn't relevant in your scenario---Trump gets the pageantry either way. But the timing is very important if you look at it the other way...and since it is only about timing, that indicates what is really driving that. Also...do you think Trump wants a SOTU AFTER he doesn't get what he wants? Doubtful. This likely hardens his position and resolve, not the other way around.

As for the travel junket...it made a political point. Which is absolutely part of the negotiation process. Anything that can bring pressure on the other side is part of the process. Part of Nancy's strategy on the SOTU as well. It was also an indication of how is in charge...another part of the negotiation process.

#184 BigDog63, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  5. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

....uh...I don't know...

...you know the saying: "...there's a sucker born every minute..."...

...and considering all the complaints about exploding, out-of-control birth rates lately...

...I don't think there's much of a chance of the Donald running out of opportunities to work his special magic anytime soon...

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That's easy. Veto power. Pelosi will never get the votes to override a veto. Which is why the shutdown is so important to Pelosi. That's her only leverage on that.

So, you'd be right if this were a hundred years ago. But it isn't.

The first budget submitted by a President to Congress occurred in 1921 by, ironically, Warren G Harding, who is often compared to Trump when discussing the worst Presidents of all time.

I'll take a look, for historical perspective, but completely irrelevant to the current situation.

Oh, Look! A strawman!

7. dobro1229

Hence my statement of him being more of a Con Artist. He's not looking for a win-win professional sales relationship like 99% of us do every day.

He's looking for a mark.

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ah, right, so that's why he had his team put together and propose a win win solution. Oh, wait....

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Selling something to a politician who will actively pretend that they don't support something even when they do is different than when selling things to rational actors. When dealing with Democrats you can offer them a compromise that is having them agree to something they supported before Trump derangement syndrome took hold in exchange for something they support and they'd still say no.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Who cares where he gives his speech? Very few people.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Except, guess who is one of those very few people.

12. dobro1229

What evidence do you have that Trump delivering a normal SOTU address where he does what Trump does on live TV (talking about rape, demagoguery, etc.) would help Trump in any way imaginable?

http://fortune.com/2019/01/14/trump-speech-wall-government-shutdown-quinnipiac-poll/

I disagree completely with your notion that "making a point" is part of any real strategy to getting a deal done. EX: If I told a client of mine that there is a discount that will be ending in a week so we should talk this week, that's part of a real strategy. If I called my client and told them, because you haven't renewed with me, I'm double charging you today for your normal subscription you enjoyed last month, you did nothing to advance a negotiation to get the client to the table to agree to a deal to renew. You made your point, but they are less likely to negotiate with you now, and more likely to never do business with you & leave a nasty review online.

You don't have to take my word for it if you don't want to. I don't know what you do for a living so maybe you know more than I do. Just based on my years of experience, I completely disagree with you on every level that "It was an indication of who is in charge", or that this was "part of the negotiation process".

Donald Trump is the worst sales person/negotiator I've ever seen in my life. This is a sh$% show, and he is looking for a mark, or purposefully trying to NOT get a deal....not trying for a real win-win solution.

13. dobro1229

You've got to be joking right? If you are going to respond with that as a rebuddle, how am I to engage with you in any serious way?

You and I know that his "proposal" he gave on a Saturday was not a real proposal, but a plot to try and earn political talking points. If you can't even admit that the merits of that "proposal" are not in pursuit of an actual deal, I don't know what to tell you. The proposal was filling with Stephen Miller fever dreams. It was never meant to be a serious proposal and you damn well know it.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was by far the most serious proposal put forward thus far....even you have to know that.

If they wanted to take that as a starting point and negotiate, that would be fine, but Democrats don't want to compromise or negotiate, they want capitulation as always. Well, it's unlikely to happen this time, so the government should stay shut down.

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yep, no way to engage in a serious discussion. You're right about that.

Moving on.

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Doubtful, and even less likely to admit it.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Would anybody be surprised if Pelosi took the $5.7B for 3 years of protection for DACA and Trump reneged on the deal months later?

Trump negotiates in bad faith and his word and promises are worthless.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think maybe you don't understand what a Strawman Argument is exactly.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess maybe I wasnt clear. Trump seems to be keen to annoy her at every opportunity.

Ultimately trump is going to have to make a deal with her to get a bill, but people who are seeing red generally aren't in a mood to compromise.

Also, Veto is irrelevant because Mitch will never make him use it.

#199 Ottomaton, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Someone was complaining about Trevor Noah...

TheFreak likes this.