1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Trade Melo and Cash to the Bulls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jan 21, 2019.

1. jcf

jcf Member

And yet, no one seems to want him. I get that we had no leverage because it was clear we weren't going to use him. But if he had value, some team should have given us something for him before another team offered us something. Instead, we had to pay the Bulls.

What's up with that?

(And, I get that Rivers was bought out and has turned out great so far. So opportunity is a big deal. But man, Melo's rep has bottomed out.)

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agree to disagree. I just believe he still has a place on some team in the NBA. He just has to realize that on most teams, he can't be a starter or be the first option.

3. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Gotta pay to get rid of dead weight....this is pretty sad lol

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

how many times has this been said over and over. so glad this nightmare is over. i just hope he goes to gs so he can sabotage their team

5. Starks03

Starks03 Member

Not necessarily. Lakers need to waive someone to take on Melo and at this point, I don't think they will.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no it's not :rolleyes:

hakeem94 and YOLO like this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Honestly, it beats me. His contract was one of the friendliest in the league, for what it was. I do think that there would have been suitors at the deadline, had we waited until then. But I guess Morey just didn't want to wait until then.

D-rock likes this.
  8. jcf

jcf Member

And the Bulls are going to cut him. This is tragic for the guy.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

back to the drawing board, repeat after me
    as·set
    /ˈaset/
    noun
    plural noun: assets
    1. a useful or valuable thing, person, or quality.
      "quick reflexes were his chief asset"
      synonyms: benefit, advantage, blessing, good point, strong point, strength, forte, talent, gift, strong suit, long suit, virtue, recommendation, attraction, attractive feature, selling point, resource, beauty, boon, value, merit, bonus, aid, help,Carmelo+cash :cool:

10. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Imagine an overhyped GM making idiotic trades and signings just for them to bite him in the ass and then having to shop them around down the line...versus...getting something positive out of your trades--ANYTHING (hell, even Chris Paul)--to trade down the road to make the team better like most top GMs in the league (Ainge, Myers, Ujiri).

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Idk why any sorry team would want Melo...he serves no purpose

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

"multiple trade options" oh the irony. such a great asset

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We all said it was a cheap experiment that we could get out of when it doesn't work. I'm really surprised he wasn't a serviceable scorer for the second unit, but I guess it would be a tough role for a big ego to take.

Did we not offer House a guaranteed deal because of the cap implications or the risk that he goes back to being just another basketball player?

D-rock likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

His offensive efficiency is such that every team has 4-5 players who can create that many points out of that many shots even if those players aren't known as creators. At the same time, his defense is horrifyingly bad, and I'd argue he put in his best defensive effort ever this season. If he were in any playoff series of consequence, the opponent would torch him relentlessly and on the other end let him believe he is "creating" mid range shots, and his team would sink like we sank when we put Ryno in against the Warriors. That's not an NBA player. He's more like a D Leaguer now, someone to fill a gap in the regular season or in case of injuries. If he is playing regularly, you have a very bad team.

I wish him luck, but he doesn't need luck or fit or opportunity. Everything he needs he already possesses, he's just not ready to do what he needs to do for things to change, and he is a prisoner of his ego.

luckyman76 likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

the L’s that fool would be taking right now...my god

dude was acting like he was a Melo guru, yet his ass was dead wrong about everything

Erbnwarfare and YOLO like this.
  16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

This farewell tour ain't goin as planned...

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

18. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Yeah, imagine getting something positive out of the Chris Paul trade, like perhaps being on the brink of an NBA finals appearance.

Or maybe using “idiotic trades” to upgrade from Rafer Alston to Kyle Lowry to Goran Dragic to James Harden. Imagine getting an MVP candidate out of it.

Wouldn’t that be something....

D-rock likes this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Chicago does another MCW! Roberto Duenas sounds like a boxer, but is a retired 7'3'' Spanish center,:eek: per wiki. He was the 57th pick of the Bulls in the 1997 draft.

#140 saleem, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.