1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House declines Rockets contract offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Senator

Senator Member

This is all a chain effect of the Chris Paul contract. Given his old age and injury history, no reason he couldn't have signed for $30 million per instead of $39 million per. He had already earned well over $200 million in his career before signing the contract.

Compare it to so many others who take smaller contracts to help their team win like Duncan.

Just an absolute loser who highlights why basketball players don't make good GM's.

dlite316, kevtse and BigShasta like this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Is Fertitta broke.. ? Asking for a "friend"...

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

So many others? Name five.

Williamson likes this.
  4. valorita

valorita Member

Who is his agent, BJ?

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't know that there is a quick fix to this situation at all … I doubt he'd take the remainder of the Rockets T-MLE in a multi-year deal …. thinking he can get either the full amount of the T-MLE or most if not all of a teams non tax paying version in the offseason.

2nd year vet min is $1,512,601 Rockets remaining T-MLE $3,901,664. Full T-MLE$5,337,000.

Is he not worth at least the $3,901,664 if you can lock him up for 3 years ?

You aren't getting someone better via buy out …. I'm not buying into that notion , I doubt they use the remainder of that MLE at all in the buy out market , the "Help" just isn't there.

Stop being cheap and Pay The Man Tilfart.

J.R. likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's my "buy time" guess:

I think failing to sign him, yet not converting him, which led to Morey losing ability to sign another 2-way, shows that we intend to keep him. We are not just going to keep him on the Vipers with inability to play in the playoffs (per Albert Nahmad), and lose signing another 2-way (yet, still let him enter RFA FAncy this summer), just for some stubborn idea that converting him would set a bad precedence for future 2-ways (per Tim McMahon's tweet)...and Harden would not appreciate locking out House merely for reasons of precedence (which I gathered from Codman).

So, here's my positive spin on this sucky Lockout, and @Codman's "hold up", "loophole/plan", which might appease Harden/MDA
    • In 1 1/2 months, March 1st, we will know with certainty who the playoff eligible buyouts are
    • If we fail to use the MLE, or have plenty left over, we will use it to pay House on a multi-year
    • If we use it and don't have enough to pay House extra, and he still won't sign a mulit-year minimum deal, we will convert him, so that he's playoff eligible.
    In the meantime, we are in player Lockout mode, Tilman is saving money, and Morey hopes House caves before Harden/MDA do.

#306 heypartner, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Deuce, KlutchQT, mikol13 and 8 others like this.
  7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

It wouldn’t make or break the team when healthy. Right now the Rockets are in survival mode. Players are dropping like flies, and we lose the most most productive 2 way wing on our roster, EG excluded. An agreement needs to be reached soon or a trade has to happen ASAP. Losing Clint and House in the past few days has been surreal.

I hope and agreement is reached soon. We have to hope for the best but plan for the worst. God forbid EG aggravates his knee again, or any other rotation player. We cannot continue to lose depth and hope to stay afloat for much longer. I don’t blame either side but this whole situation is insane.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

What’s fair market value for him? What is a another player similar to him with a better contract?

Icehouse likes this.
  9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hahahahahahahahah! The Tillman is too cheap to pay House! Hahahahahahhahaha!

J.R. likes this.
  10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

This is stupid on so many levels. Morey found a gem in House, and makes the boneheaded decision to offer him a non-guaranteed three year deal. That rightfully pissed House off, and when the Rockets countered by offering a fully-guaranteed three year deal, House was in no mood to consider it.

Defend Morey on this all you want, but it’s absolutely idiotic that the Rockets are losing a key rotation piece that they desperately need because their GM decided to lowball the player in contract negotiations. House did exactly what he was asked to do when he got his chance. Instead of being rewarded with a fair, guaranteed deal, the initial offer from Morey was a slap in the face.

D’Antoni should be pissed, and the players in the locker room should be pissed.

Lawlruschang and glynch like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Does a bear **** in the woods?

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tillman ***** in the woods because he is too cheap to build an outhouse!

topfive, hakeem94, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Outplays contract.
    Gets offered lower contract to outplay.
    ???
    Profit in Europe

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Think (hope) Rockets front office are looking at the big picture, future availability and will find a way to get a team/player friendly contract with House. I don't see Fertitta as cheap, but looking at the future needs. I hope House doesn't get injured, that would be the worse case for both player and team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

You guys just want Morey to give in to House and his agent's greedy demands?? Hell no. He's been bounced around for years, and the Rockets finally gave him a chance. If I'm Morey, I'm not budging AT ALL. The information about how much the Rockets offered is out there, and it's a perfectly reasonable deal for a player like House. Morey and the org aren't stupid enough to cave in just because they're desperate. Morey better have a backup plan (trade deal) though. He's gotta do something right this season because very little has panned out. Let him get a taste of the G-league and wait around the buyout deadline. If a better player becomes available on the buyout or trade market or if he doesn't budge, you can just use him as a trade piece.

IvanLCPM, topfive, hakeem94 and 6 others like this.
  17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

that is irrelevant

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I think if you look at the guys that signed for that type of $$, assuming they could even get that much, then you may be surprised.

19. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Rumor is Rockets wanted a multi year deal at the veteran’s minimum. House wanted the Rockets to convert his contract for the rest of the year. Rockets weren’t willing to bite. Now they might go after James Nunnally or bring in Bruno. No plans with willie Reed or the like at this point in time.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  20. BigBum

BigBum Member

Terrible offer. Cheapest in the nba.