1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Tony Kemp. You could trade for a Nicholas Castellanos to play DH and be a Back OFer. Many Options. DEREK DIETRICH AVISAIL GARCIA Those names are still out there at a much lower price tag then woodick. Yuli has been needing to be traded since White showed he could play. Wasted money

2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Yordan Alvarez, J.B. Bukouskas, Max Stassi or Garret Stubbs and Framber Valdez for J.T. Realmuto.

Get ot done no team can beat that deal.

Htown Legend and HTown2017Champs like this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Didn't you say Martin and Fisher could get it done?

4. Jeremy Williams

We will not trade Alvarez away for 2 years of Realmuto.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  5. HTown2017Champs

If we aren't trading anyone meaningful then we won't get Realmuto. Elite catchers like him are much harder to find than elite outfielders. I was never a fan of the Chirinos signing, a big overpay IMO for someone getting up in age for a catcher (who can't even throw out base stealers), and with an injury history too. If we really wanted him that badly, I bet we could've paid less had we waited out.

#2905 HTown2017Champs, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. HTown2017Champs

I wonder if this lowers the price tag on Marwin, paving the way to resigning him and making Diaz expendable in a possible trade (like for JT)? Sentimental reasons aside, I like Marwin better because he's a switch hitter (and not yet another righty) and has more experience playing non-SS positions.

8. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

So, what happened when we traded for Verlander and Cole?

9. HTown2017Champs

The Tigers and Pirates front offices weren't as hard line as Jeter and Co. Simple as that. Still hoping that Luhnow can work his magic and get Jeter to come down to earth, but honestly, I think there's a good chance JT is still a Marlin come opening day if they're going to be this crazy on his price tag.

10. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I’m completely fine with that. Let Jeter deal with the fallout.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

Absolutely. Better than him going to another contender. Love to see the fallout.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They have Diaz under control for the next 4 seasons. He will not make near as much as Marwin this year and probably won't for the foreseeable future. Offensively he is at least the equal of Marwin. Defensively he has not spent any time at 1B and very little time in LF. Why would the Astros re-sign Marwin and trade Diaz?

13. HTown2017Champs

Marwin has more OF experience (more backup plans), provides more leadership, and is a switch hitter, valuable in our VERY RHH-heavy lineup.
    ETA: Also, Diaz would definitely have plenty of trade value, and we got him for basically nothing. He profiles more as a starting, everyday SS to me, and I think he'd rather be that.

#2913 HTown2017Champs, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Doesn't change Marwin's cost. Diaz is a better IF defender. Considering number of OFs Astros have, highly doubtful Astros will pay starter prices for Marwin.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Best fits for Marwin are the Twins, Indians, Brewers, and Pirates. He will be very lucky to get more than $30M.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Why not throw in Correa?

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

K
    It’s all about the long term budget. Whether it happens or not, keeping Springer and Correa and Bregman and Verlander is all factored in to decisions. If you have a cheaper version for 4 more years, why spend extra money to bring back someone who, if we are being honest, we want for sentimental reasons more than baseball reasons

Smacktle and sealclubber1016 like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This is pretty much all it comes down to.

There's little if any legitimate reasons for us to give Marwin a significant amount of money when Diaz is basically a lateral move, maybe an upgrade. Marwin helped us win a WS and was here way back when we were terrible so it's easy to be attached to him, but that's not a good reason to waste a lot of money.

Smacktle, IowaAstro and The Beard like this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would argue Diaz is more valuable to the Astros than Marwin next year because of the concern with Correa's back. Marwin's defense at short stop declined quite a bit last year. If Correa's back continues to be a problem I would rather have Diaz.

Smacktle likes this.
  20. HTown2017Champs

Very good point, Just gonna really miss Marwin. Also the fact that Marwin is a switch hitter is nice, but the FO does not see that as the difference.

Never Forget. Without it, we'd be 0-8 in World Series games as we speak in all likelihood.

CrushCity and eric.81 like this.