1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why we should trade for Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by High Vibrationz, Oct 10, 2018.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You shouldn't have seen it now.

2. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

With Daniel House not nearly as desperate for Jimmy. I see a need to upgrade bot the 3 and add another rebounder with size to backup Capela and Tucker, but I don't think Jimmy Butler is the answer anymore.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Why the hell doesn't Simmons hire a shooting coach and put up a thousand shots a day all summer? If Lonzo can hit over .300 from 3 with that shot of his, Simmons should be able to learn. That just baffles me to no end.

Smacktle, D-rock and J Sizzle like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think, from the Ringer article out today, it's due to the fact that Simmons flat out thinks it's illogical for him to put up shots that he would end up missing. Maybe he's also thinking "I can use my skills to get my teammates better shots because they're better shooters". If this is the case then I get his POV on it but, on a macro level, even having a 30-33% 3PT FG% is better for his playmaking skills than to not ever shooting from long distance.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Honestly, since it's unlikely that he's resigning with the 6ers..

I say Gordon and Chriss is a fair trade. Chriss is just a throw in for salary but it's a fair trade.

6ers get a shooter which they need and Rockets get another ISO player and shooter and he's close to home and I think he'll enjoy it here.

It's a risk to be sure but the reward there is too hard to ignore.

His price right now is going to be low as the 6ers are just going to look for whatever they can get for him if they do decide to trade him and we are across conferences and not a rival to them in any way so no "Not trading with another Western team" non-sense.

If the price is basically swapping Gordon for Butler...I'd do it. I think Knight and Rivers can kind of fill in for what Gordon can do and Butler can do something that we desperately need especially with an aging CP3.

joshuaao, seeingred and peleincubus like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I believe he has been working on it. reportedly with his bro in the offseason, who is a former cba assistant. but it's still not a big priority to him to be out on the perimeter shooting jumpers just yet

it also seems he's more focused on what the team wants him to do and the way they utilize him.

“His jump shot’s not going to define him,” Brown said Tuesday. “At some point, it will sure help. But I have aspirations, ambitions for him where I want him to feature on an all-defensive team. I personally want to post him more. I look forward to using him as a screener and giving Markelle the ball and let him roll out of it, that Blake Griffin-sort of half-roll and go to dunk.”

Simmons also needed work on his free throws: He made 191 of 341 for just 56 percent.

“Imagine if he can score one more point, it translates to like three to five more wins,” Brown said. “When I look at how you’re going to do that, that’s one way that interests me, let’s just get him more free throws. Can you finish, can you be a better free-throw shooter than you were in the regular season? He has to be.”

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I would still trade for him now.

We aren't winning a ring without taking risks.

luckyman76 likes this.
  8. lionaire

lionaire Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Assuming this scenario plays out exactly, who comes off the bench - House or Tucker?

I would advocate PJ riding with 2nd unit: PJ, Rivers, Green - with either Beard, Buckets or CP3 on floor.

Harden/Rivers
    Paul/Knight
    Butler/Green/Ennis
    House/Tucker/Clark
    Capela/Nene

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'd go with PJ just because he's familiar and if you sub out Jimmy for House then you still get that same mentality on defense...if you get a motivated Jimmy which is the best thing here...

I just think it's a risk you take because if it works out I think we could easily...yes...easily...handle the Warriors.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could see either or, just like idea of 4 players (plus Capela) who can create their own shot on floor at same time. Maybe a death's line up.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, it is definitely a problem you'd like to have. I think it would work out either way, and we could use Rivers for the old Gordon role. He won't likely be as good as Gordon but we would have Butler so he'd ideally make up for any bad shooting games that Rivers would have.

steddinotayto and D-rock like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'll buy that theory, but he should be smart enough to realize that the opponents need to perceive him as a threat from at LEAST 15 feet out. If he's a legit 3-point threat, he can better use that talent he has to set up his teammates.

#93 topfive, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    steddinotayto likes this.
  14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Do not want. What makes you think he is not questioning Harden and/or MDA here if he doesn’t get his.

Smacktle, hakeem94 and GotGame15 like this.
  15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

We might not even have to give up Gordon. Just Knight, Chriss, Melo, and 4 1st rd picks would do it.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep.

Yep yep yep yep yep.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Personally, would rather just give up Gordon and keep our 4 first round picks. We offered that when we were in a bidding war.

Now though, if the 6ers DO trade him, the market will be smaller and they will be doing it to just get something back for him. Gordon would make a lot of sense for them. A vet that knows his role and won't step on any toes and a shooter that plays decent defense.

I'd give up two picks at most for him though in a package like that. He's way too volatile to bargain 4 picks for him imo.

joshuaao and seeingred like this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Harden
    Paul
    Butler
    Tucker
    Capela

Lord have mercy. My fantasy from a few months ago is still possible???

D-rock likes this.
  19. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

All of this is about opportunity cost. You think people will not bid again now that they might be dealing with a desperate team that is not crazy like the Timberpuppies and the delusional Thibs that got fired anyway. How many more players will we EVER have a chance to get like this? How long have we tried to get a 3rd star? To get the deal done I would give up Gordon but I would fight like hell to keep him because we cannot replace him and it essentially makes it a sideways trade. Giving up Gordon doesn't make us competitive with other teams. Giving up the picks does. It may not work again but we need the best 8 we can get. Right now that includes the 5 with Butler and Gordon, Rivers, and House. With buyouts and the rest of the MLE we might get another wing/front court player to balance our bench. Dumping the deadweight in Knight, Chriss, and Melo from our roster after MCW gets us back to roster spots to players D'Antoni will actually play that includes Nene, Green, and a little of Ennis. Having Ennis be our 12th man is really appealing from the depth situation we had been looking at previously. It would be the perfect culmination of the waiting it out strategy and finally give us a window. Those 4 picks are going to be dead at the back of the draft that we cannot and will not use EVERY YEAR. In one month, Philly is going to be confronted with the reality that they cannot resign him and he has no incentive to do a SNT. I believe he gets traded or goes to NYC. This isn't Kawhi and Toronto. He doesn't fit because really he is better suited for Simmons position and really better suited to play with us.

D-rock likes this.
  20. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

If we can get Butler for Ego and Chriss then there is not really an argument against that trade in terms of this year IMHO. We need to beat the warriors and a 6'8" shut down defender we can play against Klay Thompson is invaluable.

If we can smother Klay, we have an obvious back court advantage with CP3, Harden and Doc Rivers' kid. Klay Thompson has been killing us for years and if we can get someone who can be his big brother and shut him down, I say let's do it.

I love EGo, but he's not a 6'7"+ lanky defender we can 100% rely on to shadow Klay Thompson with when we play the Warriors in the playoffs.

rcketsfan1

D-rock likes this.