1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela signs 5yr, $80mil deal ($90M w/ incentives) with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I hope Capela keeps playing at this level. Hopefully the Pelicans get enticed to make a trade for him, melo + 4 first round picks for AD + a bad contract. I think that would be honestly the best offer they can/will receive.

BigShasta likes this.
  2. Asian Sensation

Not to speak for him (who knows what holic thinks) but I don’t think he’s necessarily saying that. All I know is Capela sure didn’t help us beat the Warriors. I knew he’d have a hard time with Dray but I didn’t think JaVale would be such a factor. He did way better than KAT (not surprising) and Gobert defensively and scored some timely buckets on Clint and any points from Javale was a bonus.

I think Cap took that series loss pretty hard I know they all did but I could tell he knew he could’ve done better especially after dominating the first 2 rounds.

3. biff17

biff17 Member

Boston can offer a lot more.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Whoops misread box score

5. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

THE MOST UNDERATED CONTRACT IN THE NBA. SUCK IT HATERS.

Amel and DaDakota like this.
  6. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

What and who can Boston offer?

I know they have 3-4 first rounders this year but they appear to be all non-lottery picks. Which sucks and this draft isn't as deep.

basketballholic likes this.
  7. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Boston can’t offer anything until after July, because Kyrie is the designated 5 year max player on the old system where you can only have one.

Not that it matters, Nola won’t trade AD.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Clint turning into one of the best values, not on a rookie scale contract, in the NBA.

9. basketballholic

Never said that. Hoho.

10. basketballholic

Deleted double post

#410 basketballholic, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  11. basketballholic

I do not believe that myself. I think he is playing well. And as I have previously stated, many, many times, way before we decided to switch Capela up and let him drop, Capela is not a good switching center. We are now playing as a typical old-skool big man sans the post-ups.

And he looks a lot better doing that. And will continue to do so. I suspect he'll average around 14-15 boards a game from here on out. Now is that outplaying his contract? Not in my opinion. Because you could put a good number of big man in this defensive scheme and they'd give you the board. Tyson, zaza, looney, they'd all post 15 boards in this current scheme. So we're still paying 90 million for dunks. That's not value in my opinion, especially on the front end of 5 years. If he gets hurt.....we're screwed. Totally screwed for the sum of Hardens prime.

Interesting statement. Because it is partially true but partially false.

What is true - There is/was a rebounding issue. One of the things we lost with the addition of Ennis et al, and the subtraction of Ariza/luc was the ability to rebound the basketball in our small ball configuration. (We lost the ability to defend in small ball too. Ahem. And that was largely why we sucked so bad until recently.)

So this EXTREME REBOUNDING DEFICIENCY sent us scrambling for answers. And we came up with the best possible solution. Drop Capela instead of switch him. (Because we have no small ball solution currently.)

Frankly you can go through my post history and see that even last season I said we should be switching up the defense and not switch Capela. I have felt and stated very clearly that ever since we added bulk to Capela he has last his ability to be an effective switcher. He was a better switch defender when he was a skinny rookie. He could move so much faster. So ever since we bulked him up....I've ADVOCATED for us to do what we are finally doing with him now....let him drop. Because it's better for us to have him rebound and have the guards fight over the pick than it is to have him switch.

So we did (and still do) have a rebounding problem with our small ball lineup. But that rebounding issue with our small ball lineup SHOULD NOT be conflated with our issue of having Capela be able to switch defend effectively against the top teams in the Association. He can't!

And that's what is not true about your statement.

Even with two of Ariza, PJ, Luc out there paired with Capela so that there is not a rebounding issue, he still cannot switch defend effectively enough to stay on the floor during a playoff series against the Warriors. That was proven last post season. But a lot of fans like yourself refuse to accept that fact.

Since I know this to be the case then the question simply becomes....can Capela drop and we defend the perimeter well enough against the Warriors to beat them?

And the answer is a firm and resounding...NO! Curry and Durant are going take that drop and rise and fire. That's all the daylight they need. They'll torture us in that scheme.

The ONLY THING that gave us the opportunity to beat them last season was our small ball lineup with PJ, Ariza, Luc being able to switch everything to water down their ability to get off all those crazy pull ups And that is the ONLY WAY a healthy, non-feuding Warrior team will be beaten.

Fixing (actually masking) our rebounding issue by dropping Capela has NOTHING TO DO with our switching issue with him on the court against the Warriors. (But it is the best way for us to defend when Capela is on the court........even after we finally get other better rebounding, switching, small ball defenders. No matter who is on court with Capela, the best defensive scheme with him on the court is to drop him.)

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. He can't do it either.

#shortsighted
    #conflated
    #headstuckinsand

12. basketballholic

See my post above. We can't even play small ball anymore. We DO NOT have the necessary pieces. We're losing a big practically the full 48 minutes......in the regular season.....against teams far inferior to the Warriors......because we can no longer beat even the common teams in the regular season by playing small for extended minutes.

What has happened is that the rest of the league ha figured out how to beat us with Capela in switches. We were getting by with that last season. Now we can no longer do it. We are exposed. And while this scheme change will work to float us back up to the top of the conference during the regular season...it will not work to beat the Warriors and win a championship. And it probably won't written to beat the Bucks either. They're doing us better than we can do us right now. Even when Harden playing out of his mind.

Our switching scheme does work and had been proven, yes. You are refusing to acknowledge that we don't have the necessary parts to make it work. Wake up.

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Nah bro, Maker is better than Capela.

And also we should sub out Tucker and pick up Zhou again, because he is our best chance at stopping Durant, LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. basketballholic

See my post above. We can't even play small ball anymore. We DO NOT have the necessary pieces. We're playing a big practically the full 48 minutes......in the regular season.....against teams far inferior to the Warriors......because we can no longer beat even the common teams in the regular season by playing small for extended minutes.

What has happened is that the rest of the league ha figured out how to beat us with Capela in switches. We were getting by with that last season. Now we can no longer do it. We are exposed. And while this scheme change will work to float us back up to the top of the conference during the regular season...it will not work to beat the Warriors and win a championship. And it probably won't written to beat the Bucks either. They're doing us better than we can do us right now. Even when Harden playing out of his mind.

Our switching scheme does work and had been proven, yes. You are refusing to acknowledge that we don't have the necessary parts to make it work. Wake up.

15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Funny. Three straight playoff teams seemed to have forgotten what the rest of the league figured out.

Oops.

Next asinine statement please.

topfive likes this.
  16. basketballholic

Read my posts. I started a thread that was titled something like "we don't enough" during the season last year. I could see we were short on enough depth to play small ball enough minutes to beat them.

You can say that's about Capela. I'm not saying it's about Capela. I'm saying it's not about Capela. We were beating them with small ball with those great defenders. They lost Iggy. We lost Paul and Luc. We didn't have enough.

We needed one more guy that we could plug in that could have given us something. We needed a backup for Paul. And we needed another switching small ball big like ariza/luc. Those two players would have dropped Capela's minutes. He was the sole big we were running out there against them. We wouldn't have taken minutes away from anybody else. We would have parked Capela and played small even more. And we would have beat them.

17. basketballholic

Read my posts. I started a thread that was titled something like "we don't enough" during the season last year. I could see we were short on enough depth to play small ball enough minutes to beat them.

You can say that's about Capela. I'm not saying it's about Capela. I'm saying it's not about Capela. We were beating them with small ball with those great defenders. They lost Iggy. We lost Paul and Luc. We didn't have enough.

We needed one more guy that we could plug in that could have given us something. We needed a backup for Paul. And we needed another switching small ball big like ariza/luc. Those two players would have dropped Capela's minutes. He was the sole big we were running out there against them. We wouldn't have taken minutes away from anybody else. We would have parked Capela and played small even more. And we would have beat them doing that.

18. basketballholic

Not with this crew we won't. Wake up.

19. basketballholic

We may have had a better chance with zhou or somebody that could shoot a 3 and switch better than CC.

20. basketballholic

Asinine post. We just changed our defensive scheme dopey.

Context matters.

I know it's hard for you to keep up but it doesn't mean you should quit trying.