1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey's job has to be on the line

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by threepointshot3, Dec 7, 2018.

1. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Yea same thing applies to the cavs too right? They made it to the finals few times , therefore they have a better coach and GM. Lol

2. WolfofHouston

WolfofHouston Member

Les is to blame, he left the team with an owner that had to finance this team. I don't think re-signing Ariza and Luc at $19m/year would be smart, but to replace two rotational guys with MCW and Ennis was good awful. The Ennis decision is pitiful. MCW isn't NBA caliber. We gave up on MCW appropriately, not yet on Ennis.

Then Ryno for all his faults could spot us 20-25mpg. Chriss and up until recently Knight were spotting us zero. That trade has been a net negative.

We need to make better choices.

HP3 likes this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

If rivers is as bad as wizards rivers or as bad as Melo, Tilman would lose another 5 million dollars

4. bmelo

bmelo Member

1. Cavs are east
    2. Dirk is nowhere LeBron. Matter of fact lbj was obvious no1 while dirk was random dude that had to be developed

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Two times, they went to the finals two times. And honestly the got lucky Lebron chocked that series. And after they havent been crap since.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol even folks in the mothers garage are somebody, he doesnt have to act

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

First up, I still consider Morey to be one of the best GMs in the league... even the best GMs are gonna make mistakes... MCW wasn't a good signing... but that kinda stuff happens...

Morey's big blindspot imo is chemistry or interpersonnel dynamics or whatever you want to call it...

riza and LMM had affects beyond their on court contributions...

I do believe Bzdelik quit bc of Melo...
    I dont think MDA was happy to have Melo back on his squad...
    I further believe Melo was removed to accommodate a Bzdelik return...
    and I think all of this created a lot of tension on the team... CP3 and Harden wanted him - the coaches didn't....

Like the Austin Rivers signing... maybe it aint no thing to CP3 or AR - as guys are sayin... we'll see...

DM needs to understand things like if you let guys walk or quit from a closely knit team - it creates bad juju... other guys start questioning their value to the org...
    Trade talks concerning guys can be detrimental to their ongoing productivity... not only outwardly - but even subconsciously - again questioning their value...
    It's all about creating a team (almost family) atmosphere - that gets guys willing to sacrifice and go the extra mile... thats why the whole 'asset' thing is so detrimental - or even the 'cornerstones vs role players' talk...
    You cant be all about placating guys - and end up being their b****... but you gotta realize pretty much everybody is affecting by moves to some level...

In the past, you could run things in a more disciplinary fashion and guys had to suck it up and 'put on their big boy pants' and all that stuff... that aint the case in today's NBA. Today its about guys protecting their 'brand image' and forcing trades and utilizing social media... That's why Pops is becoming a dinosaur...

Disruptions like Royce White cannot be tolerated... Guys like Melo have to viewed beyond what guys are actually verbalizing... Idk what was done with Ryno and his skid - but we shoulda tried rebuilding some of his value before eating such a loss...

I'm old school and dont like the whole millennial spoiled entitled whatever vibe - but thats the reality we're living in....

so basically... avoid potential pitfalls - investment vs reward goes beyond the obvious financial and statistical analysis...
    Hire a shrink or psychologist or hr mediator or whatever to stay ahead of guys emotional ramifications...
    being able to crunch data is great... but there's more to be cognizant of...

BigShasta likes this.
  9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

duplicate

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Here we go again:

1. LMM had to go. Dude's injured. It doesnt matter whether he is on Rox or other team ok? Dont bring him up again he is worse than BK healthwise!

2. Ariza was offered 15M. Sorry but Rox ain't gonna match that. Even if they did, Ariza is shooting 26% from 3 on the freaking wizards.

3. Scrubberson is a scrub. 20% from 3 c'mon bro. 5 mins of scrub is still a scrub. If your argument is he would be better with Cp3 and Harden...how about we get a guy who shoots higher than 20% from 3 and then pair that dude with Cp3 and Harden?

Stop looking at past Rockets players, these are the same guys who 0/23 or something. Those guys are done.

Where DM is screwed up is on the replacements:

1. Melton - let him go = fail
    2. Brandon Knight - still injured = fail
    3. Ennis - just a mid tier bench player = meh
    4. MCW - scrub = fail
    5. Chris - bust = fail

1/3 the roster are scrubs. DM underestimated the 3nD, he thought 3nDs were overrated and you just need vet mins alongside Harden and Cp3. Clearly that is not the case. I think Rivers is a good step in the right direction, dude has shown he can play the Rox's style. BK needs to be moved for a starting SF. If we can get a Prime Ariza level SF we can still get 1st seed.

11. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Wow you’re special.
    Never once did I say Tilman forced DM to sign MCW.
    And besides the minimum wage comment, I won’t elaborate on that much, I’ll just say that I’m very well off. The Tilman job was a great door and eye opener. It made me realize that my skills could be appreciated and compensated better elsewhere.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Tilfart did that to himself when he wouldn't pony up to keep Ariza.

Imagine how good this team is with him and the addition of Ennis coming off the bench …. after the Rivers signing , all we're lacking is some help for Tucker.

13. WolfofHouston

WolfofHouston Member

And Capela.....

If you think Rivers signing is that significant, not sure you know who we got.

14. biff17

biff17 Member

And they have not been to the playoffs in 3 years and nobody wants to play there.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think its significant in terms of overall talent …. but he's a decent option between now and the time CP3 comes back and can help keep his minutes down when he does return..

Top that off with he cost them nothing asset wise …. and who else can they get for nothing?

I'll take it considering the facts. They needed another guard … they got one that can help.

WolfofHouston likes this.
  16. Bids9

Bids9 Member

Cant believe there are people out here calling for Morey's head. Its a tough buisness, Morey has hit more times than hes missed. Hes built this side up to competing with the very best sides going round. Hes got plenty more moves to make when the time is right.

BigShasta likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

considering this team will probably win 55 games

people are morons

Rocket River

Bids9 likes this.
  18. WolfofHouston

WolfofHouston Member

Fair enough.

One thing that intrigued me is that outside of a healthy CP3, Rivers is our best perimeter defender.

I think like all Rockets fans there's a bad taste in my mouth. But I'm looking for a reason to get over it.

Corrosion, RyanB and BigShasta like this.
  19. Possum

Possum Member

Lol

20. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I can answer that for you. Chris Paul is president of the player's union. He's going to get a max contract every time because doing anything else undermines the negotiating leverage of the player's union - how can the PU negotiate the best deal with the League if the friggin President of the union is signing below market value contracts?

Morey knew he was signing a max deal with CP3 when he traded for him. You can't negotiate a better deal when one party (CP3) has no incentive to negotiate.

As for blame, can we wait more than 33 games into the season before we decide that anyone needs to be blamed? The goal is to win a title. Until the Rockets fail to do that this year, we need to give the whole organization the benefit of the doubt. I guarantee Morey isn't done improving the roster.

BaselineFade and s3ts like this.