1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Justin Holiday and RoLo for BK and 1st round pick would be nice

BasketMAD, joshuaao and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What?

Rocket River

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If we can hold our head above water until Chris Paul gets back healthy, that means players like House and Rivers are probably panning out. All of a sudden our depth doesn’t look like a problem. People forget Ennis has been injured as well.

CP3/Rivers
    Harden/EG
    Ennis/House/Green
    Tucker
    Capela/Nene

Clark and IH and Knight. Don’t know why Clark has fallen out of rotation but can’t play everyone I guess. Isaiah can play when Nene sits and Knight should be playing in the G league for now.

Honestly, the wing can be done by committee. We need a backup power forward, and he needs to be someone with SIZE (we miss you Trezz).
    Maybe someone like Markieff. If Washington is missing the playoffs he can probably be had for a protected first. We have to be realistic, we don’t have much to give.

EDIT: Damn! MCW + Melo + Chriss falls a little short salary wise for Markieff. Might not work. Can we just add cash?

#743 Zoplicone, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Little Bit and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Negative on adding cash.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

And Gary Clark can’t be added either right?

6. Calebhardin9

Calebhardin9 Member

Still really want another big wing. Heat probably aren’t willing to part with James Johnson atm but he might fit nice as a backup PF option. I wonder if they’d to for Knight and a second if we rehabilitate his value somewhat. They would get off a lot of salary so maybe if they moved out of playoff contention by feb he would be available ? The urgency seems to have subsided with our newfound depth (rivers, house, Ennis when he returns, nene, green), so I’m willing to wait this out)

joshuaao and baller4life315 like this.
  7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Prior to the Rivers signing I was hoping to see us repair Knight’s trade value, but I doubt that’s going to happen at this point.

I do like your line of thinking, though. Getting a player like Johnson without surrending a first rounder would be a solid move for us. Same goes for MKG.

#747 baller4life315, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  8. jogo

jogo Member

It's time to make a move for Richaun Holmes. He is a good defender and has improved his FG% to 66% this year. Only plays 15 minutes a game so maybe we can get him? If Phoenix wants to tank, then maybe they are willing to trade TJ Warren to open up playing time for their two other top 10 picked SFs.

Houston out: Ego+Chriss+2019 1st round pick protected
    Houston in: TJ Warren+ Richaun Holmes+Troy Daniels

We do this to get a starting SF in Warren and a backup PF in Holmes. Daniels is really just for salary. We lose Ego but now have a combo of House, Green, Rivers, and Ennis to take his place

Would Phoenix do this? Probably not. But they save money by sending us Daniels (and trading Warren-his contract is long), open up playing time for JJ and Bridges, get Ego who is a solid backup and/or starter, and get a first round pick. If Phoenix doesn't want to give up Warren, then we can make a smaller trade for just Holmes (and maybe a second round pick from us).

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Holmes plays a bit like Trez. What can the Rockets offer for him without giving up too much? The Suns should retain him, but if DM can get Holmes without giving up a 1st, I would be delighted. I don't see him being moved though. TJ would be all right, but I don't want to give up EG for him.

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don’t know where everyone is getting the idea that we’re gonna trade EG.

Pretty sure Morey is thinking of trying to add a small piece, not to subtract someone giving us 30 minutes a game.

Sure, if we’re adding a Jimmy Butler then EG will get dropped, but we aren’t in desperation mode anymore and that kind of player is not available.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

While I agree with you in principal … EG is the Rockets "best asset" … and moving him could get them out of the tax.

I could see him moved …. and I 100% believe he's gone next year when he's an expiring contract.

12. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

After the Rivers signing, I’m starting to come around to the idea of Kevin Love. They could make the money work without including Gordon but how many 1st rounders would the Rockets be willing to give up? I would include two firsts and a second if the Cavs were willing to send Hood as well. Who knows if the Cavs would take it but I wanted to throw it out there to see what everyone thought.

CP3/Rivers
    Harden/Ennis/Green
    Gordon/Hood/House
    Love/PJ/Clark
    Capela/Hartenstein

The defense in the starting 5 wouldn’t be great but having Rivers, Ennis, Hood and PJ coming off of the bench could shut down opposing 2nd units. Thoughts?

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Our backcourt is good to go with health. Rivers makes it 5 deep there and Knight may come back later and make an impact. Our focus should be on frontcourt in a love that brings length, offensive diversity with decent ft shooting and defensive rebounding.

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Next year is a different story. But this year? That’s way too risky man. People are saying trade him for a TJ Warren and Holmes? As if.
    Couple weeks ago people were even saying Knight would fill the void from trading EG.

With Chris Paul’s uncertainty EG isn’t getting traded for anything short of an all star, and therefore probably won’t be traded.

BasketMAD likes this.
  15. baller4life315

Knight + minor asset(s) for MKG

He’s exactly what this team needs in the frontcourt. Versatile defensive ace that can check either forward spot and has been proven effective as a small-ball 5.

His +/-‘s have consistently been outstanding throughout his career. Would be great in our switch-everything scheme. Also brings a lot of the same qualities to the table as Tucker, but younger and a better athlete. Would allow us to cut back Tucker’s minutes and help preserve his legs for the long haul.

He’s being underutilized in Charlotte right now. I live nearby and watch a lot of Hornets games. This guy would fit nicely in our system. You need players like this in the postseason.

16. dmoneybangbang

Him or DeMarre Carroll who only has this year’s $15 million left. I like MKG’s defense but all he can do is cut to the basketball offensively, Carroll is a streaky 3 pt shooter who can play a PJ Tucker role.

BasketMAD, carib and baller4life315 like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

To us , I guess it depends upon what we can net in return …. I don't think he's traded but I could see several scenario's in which he is.
    He is , without question , your best asset that you'd be willing to move.

As for the team , it depends upon how bad Tilfart wants to get out of the tax. A cost cutting move involving Gordon or this years #1 pick would really irk me.

The good thing about Gordon is that if he's traded , he comes with bird rights for the acquiring team , that has to increase his value some - this year or next.

18. baller4life315

When I compared MKG to Tucker, I meant more so defensively given their ability to defend multiple positions. Both are versatile, smart, tough and drive the intangibles component through the roof. We would be noticeably worse defensively without Tucker. By the same taken, I think we would be noticeably better with MKG in the lineup.

I do agree his offense is a limiting factor, though. It would be hard to play him with Capela. All the same, I like him as a small-ball 4/5 and a guy we could bring off of the bench to try to give KD and LeBron fits. The +/-‘s don’t lie, this guy has a measurable impact on the game. I’m willing to tolerate his offensive limitations if he delivers in other areas.

Carroll would be nice too. Carroll as a post-buyout pickup would be really nice.

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Im not crazy on the initial trade as im not huge on TJ but ive been a huge fan if Holmes when he was with Philly and thought he just needed out of that deep frontcourt to show how good he is.

And he has.

I dont know if it would take a 1st rounder but we should def kick the tyres on this guy.