1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, because you can always find a stat for something to make a player look good or bad, but when it really comes down to it there isn't a huge difference between most teams. Any team can be beaten. A great QB or running back can often be the key to more wins, but a great defensive game can stop anyone. I guess that's what makes certain teams considered great in the history, simply because they defied the odds of winning. For teams to win numerous SuperBowls usually requires a huge amount of luck along with a great coach. When your star players can go seasons without missing games for injury you are lucky.

I mean Farve played 299 consecutive games. Do you realize that's longer than the Texans have been a team? We've had numerous quarterbacks and almost all of them missed games for injuries, with some not even lasting one season. Farve was one tough man!! Phillip Rivers is on a streak of 206 games right now. When your key position players are not prone to injury, or can play through injury you are lucky. Think about all the injuries we have seen with our running backs and tight ends, from concussions to hamstrings to worse. We simply haven't been blessed with a guy like Jason Witten, who played 235 consecutive games, or a running back like Frank Gore who is currently on a steak of 122 consecutive starts.

But, the thing that is exciting is that right now we have a healthy enough team to still have the chance to win it all, if all the stars align our way from now til the Super Bowl. Nobody is undefeated, so anything is possible. Go Texans!!

2. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That drives me crazy!!!! Why are all the NFL networks that way? It's ridiculous that we can't change the view to get an entire perspective and see the routes being run instead of a zoomed in quarterback view. I swear it is like watching a game with blinders on. I hate it!!!!! We need to get with the program like Sky Sports in the UK. Viewers can push a button to change the field view watching games. Why can't any of our networks do that??? The technology is there and certainly the money made by the networks is there.

coachbadlee and mario_v like this.
  3. mario_v

mario_v Member

That’s why it always annoys me when people criticize a coaches play calling when we can’t even see the play being developed.

I wished we had like an option to watch it in a madden camera view, where you can see the entire field.

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Exactly!!!!

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

They show all 22 players pre-snap, and that is where 90% of the battles are won.

I tell fans who want to know more about the game to watch the middle linebackers, aka the "quarterbacks" of the defense. It is a chess match between them and the QB nearly every snap, especially with the Texans' offensive scheme. You can pick up pretty quickly if DW4 makes the wrong read.

6. Svpernaut

One of my co-hosts on our Texans' podcast (see signature) made a great point on this past week's episode. In short, the NFL is built on mediocrity. They limit OTAs, practices, roster spots, injury spots, salaries and even recovery options. A bad team can and does beat good teams all the time.

By mid season nearly every team has lost a handful of crucial players, and some of them star players... And teams are expected to sign guys off the street and have them adjust to their complex playbooks in a matter of days, it truly is astounding and like no other sport.

If a team is competitive year in and year out, it is because their organization is good at adapting to those adversities... And to me, this Texans team is the literal incarnations of that. They have shown that they can hang tough and win by any means necessary. All while being dealt more than their fair share of bad luck.

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I would still like to have the choice to see the routes being run by receivers, to see if guys are wide open or not, and to see if the quarterback is missing someone who is. We don't always get to see that view, yet the technology is there to give us that option.

8. Svpernaut

They want you to pay for it. https://gamepass.nfl.com/packages

With that said, NFL Game Pass is amazing and worth every penny in my opinion. The condensed games and the coaches' film that comes out on Tuesdays is awesome.

You won't know the route options by the way, because the options available depends on the look that the defense shows, and that is the "secret sauce" of modern NFL offenses so they would never share that info.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. conquistador#11

Needs to learn to comeback with 2 seconds left for the other team. BAD deshaun!

#969 conquistador#11, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

DaGod stuck with his Kevin McHale. Poor DaGod.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Noodle arm:

Fulgore likes this.
  12. solid

solid Contributing Member

DSW is legit franchise QB, no doubt left. If he stays healthy, the Texans hire a competent OC, bolster the OL and Defensive backfield, we are a contender for years to come.

13. Texanstradamus

Texans defense is damn near as bad as last years lately maybe it’s just not that good this is was Seattle and pats from last year all over again

houstonstime likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Bad defense. Nobody wants to downgrade our defense but these guys need to get stops on 3rd downs and 4th downs. Watson did his job at the end of the day. Defense wins championships. They didn't close.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Shorts is in shape, he might not be the worst guy to pick up right now.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Defense tried. Gave them a fumble recovery and a 3 and out to get the offense to get in front. If not, for that it wouldn't have been close. They just didn't have it at the end.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would have been a lift to the team if the offense had come out in the first half like they did in the 4th quarter. BOB needs to realize that with the secondary hobbled, the team needs to win with offense.

red5rocket and DatRocketFan like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Has a franchise qb, doesnt know how to stall on offense bc hes putting watson in shtty position of converting third and long. Then forces a gassed defense w/ banged up secondary to preserve a lead, we basically lost all the close ones bc of BoB incompetence literally the McHale version of football.