1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[POLL] Do You Like the Austin Rivers Signing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theimpossibles1, Dec 24, 2018.

?

Do you like the Austin Rivers Signing?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. theimpossibles1

No one made a poll so here it is.

PROS:
    Provides desperately needed help at PG.
    Kind of guy that can get in the opponent's head.
    Good Bball genes.
    Above average defender that fits our switching scheme.

CONS:
    He's Austin Rivers

Vote and discuss, if you wish.

2. Asian Sensation

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How did that Melo "value" signing work out?

4. Moleb

Moleb Member

6'5 good defender if he shots his 36% from 3 like last year then he is great for us. He's much better than mcw.

Knight hasn't done much.

If he could at least come close to helping close to EG then I'd trade E.G. for a solid pf or sf. Til this day I still regret us not sending e.g. and 3-4 picks yo the wolves for butler.

Hmc415, BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yo guys, where are you getting the good defender thing from???

6. Asian Sensation

https://www.bulletsforever.com/plat...ivers-washington-wizards-los-angeles-clippers

Rivers is a very polarizing player, especially when it comes to his defense. When I watch him, it looks like he competes well and makes an impact, but most of his advanced defensive metrics are very poor. Where do you think the discrepancy lies?

Defense is one of the other areas where Austin made huge steps early in his Clippers’ tenure. His offense was still relatively bad at the time, so he homed in on defense as a way to get playing time on a contending team with limited minutes available. I think his best season as a defender was probably back in 2015-2016, when he had less responsibility on offense, but he was definitely not a bad defensive player last season.

Clippers’ fans have wondered about that same discrepancy between defensive metrics and the “eye-test” for years. If I had to guess, I’d put it down to three things. The first is that I don’t particularly trust defensive metrics. If they all say the same thing about someone I’d give some weight to the numbers, but defense still seems very hard to quantify, and I’m not sure any individual statistic has really done a good job yet. The second is that Austin played many of his minutes earlier in his Clippers’ tenure alongside Jamal Crawford, who is one of the worst players defensively in the NBA (he single-handedly dragged down the Wolves defense last year despite coming off the bench).

Lineups with Austin were therefore likely to be worse defensively, especially since the Clippers’ starters were usually pretty good on that end. Finally, Austin has also spent a fair amount of time in Doc Rivers’ beloved three-guard lineups. And when he did so, even though he’s not exactly large for an off-guard, he mostly defended small forwards. While Austin competed against those guys, he’s just too small to really bother their shots, and they could back him down in the post as well.

Now, I don’t think Austin is a stopper or anything. He’s still prone to lapses off-ball on occasion, and he isn’t super-versatile switching out on the perimeter. But he’s a mostly solid defender who can do a fine job on most guards, and can be placed on bigger players sometimes as long as they aren’t shot creators. I think he will be a significant upgrade on that end over the parade of sieves the Wizards have trotted out as reserve guards over the years.

—————

Obviously things didn’t work out in WAS (yay us) for whatever reason(s) but I think everything is still accurate and applies here. He’s always been a scrappy player and an annoying defender. He’ll be asked to put an extra emphasis on his defensive efforts since Harden will be the primary ball handler/scorer/creator/playmaker this will allow Rivers to focus on the other side of the ball.

When it comes to Rivers... I think “Bev role” from a couple years ago when he was in the back court with Harden. A more comprehensive/skilled guy playing the 3&D role. I’m hopeful Rivers can be able to match or come close to Bev’s level on D but even if he doesn’t he’ll more than make up for it with his other attributes when Harden sits since he can actually dribble, make plays and create his own buckets. Bev was an absolute zero if his 3 point shot was off and when we needed him to run the offense when Harden needed a break any lead we had would be gone. My point? That setup although not ideal still worked well enough (all things considered).

I’m confident Rivers will not only fill in nicely while Paul is out but he’ll be a valuable piece for us the remainder of the season.

payaso, dcfma, Why not? and 6 others like this.
  7. threepointshot3

What were the alternatives? So ya

8. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Shouldn't we be asking what does CP3 think of the signing with their history.

But no I dont like the guy. He reminds me of the guy that acts like he wants to fight while yelling hold me back because he really to scared. He was a punk that hid behind his dad and thought he was better than he was.

Rokman and darksoul35 like this.
  9. farhen

farhen Member

10. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Not really. But when you're on the verge of starvation, McDonald looks awfully good. I'd prefer Kobe beef but sometimes you have no choice.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Good for a minimum signing as long as they've cleared it with Paul and Harden. Seems strange they would be fine with their boy Melo being pushed to the side, while signing someone they both dislike. Perhaps a sign of their maturity.

He's not going to matter much in the grand scheme except allowing us to dump Knight. If the timing of Paul's injury weren't so irritating (specifically when they are trying to dump Knight before the deadline and while Gordon is forced to start), I doubt they would have signed him.

What would be nice is if Knight catches fire for a few games and shows himself to be a net positive. Maybe then we can get something good for him and a pick, or we could dump him for a couple of 2nds.

All in all, not going to be great for the locker room. Knight knows Rivers is there to take his place, Rivers and our stars have to get over awkwardness, MCW is rock bottom and Melo must be whispering in someone's ear that he can help us more than Austin. I bet we hear some Melo "leaks" soon.

Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

He s prolly reminding you of Lin since you like him so much

13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Don't worry CP3 wont get in a fight with Austin, he has bad hamstrings.

malakas, psaman17 and hakeem94 like this.
  14. vick

vick Member

He is good insurance. You know Cp3 will pull his hammy again.Cp3 can't stay healthy for the next 5 months.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

haven't followed the rox much since the job silver pulled in the playoffs, and will continue to do so now. sucks having one of your most hated players join your wwe team.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

In a vacuum, I don't. But given the circumstances I guess I do

17. rocketsmetalspd

Will see how he can mesh with the team and IF he can benefit the team. I just hope he can at least provide quality minutes to spell the PG/SG positions. Go Rockets! H-Town Crazy!

Chanmarr likes this.
  18. gotsis

gotsis Member

Was wishing that Brandon Knight could have a break out post injury season, but that seems farfetched. So, given the circumstances, it's the right move.

Chanmarr and BaselineFade like this.
  19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

It would be in everyone’s best interest if Brandon could have a few break out performances. The CP injury should give him a chance to prove himself in the coming weeks. Hopefully signing Rivers will light a fire under him.

gotsis likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member