1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The problem with someone like AOC is that she jumped straight into US Rep. At her age and experience, she should have ran in a more local election such as city council or state rep and moved her way up with experience .

For Trump, the jump is more jarring. He should first be competent at managing a local's Denny's restaurant but instead he jumped straight to managing the world's largest bureaucracy and commanding the world's most powerful military.

#241 fchowd0311, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I like her. I bet she reads about some of her comments are off or wrong. Its for her benefit to learn the reason why. That in itself will mold her view in the long run.

3. Buck Turgidson

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

5. Buck Turgidson

You are correct. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I think she is just "irrationally exuberant" to use a phrase from the man Greenspan.

adoo likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They do have that in common - a lack of experience in government.

I don't have a big issue with lack of experiences (there are a few advantages to being one such as challenging the status quo and trying new ideas). I have a much much bigger issue with corruption, unethical behaviors, back stabbing, lying, ability to listen and learn -- those characters things. Those things let me judge if an inexperience person is trustworthy enough to work for you, to not do immoral and unethical things, and to be able to quickly learn on the job.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I sort of see hear as a Trump correction in the political market place which is good thing. More women in politics, more young people in politics, both really great things that this country needs badly.

DaDakota likes this.
  9. glynch

Hey, I would not say that fact checking from the Washington Post is always unreliable -- and I just saw again on HBO the nice movie The Post" which dramatizes the gutsy work the Washington Post did back in the day wrt to the Pentagon Papers with Nixon.

However, we must keep in mind that now that WAPO is owned by the world's richest man (I know the medieval King of Saudi Arabia or perhaps Putin). The Post has fired some of its more left columnists. Ocasio Cortez and others want to tax Bezos more and force him to pay enough to keep his employees off of welfare benefits. The employed journalists do have to keep in mind what Bezos' opinion on issues are. No false equivalency with the Fox/Trup level of bias.
    The Washington Post Fired Lefty Columnist Harold Meyerson | HuffPost
    Washington Post Ran 16 Negative Stories on Bernie Sanders in 16 ...

https://fair.org/.../washington-post-ran-16-negative-stories-on-bernie-sanders-in-16-ho...

Also, the Post famously wrote 16 negative articles about Bernie Sanders in 16 hrs.

10. biff17

biff17 Member

they also made a living on the Hillary email story so what is your point.

11. glynch

I can accept that you were not lying about Ocasio Cortez but were merely being irrationally exhuberant in your haste to discredit her.

12. glynch

My point is that sometimes when the Post opines on politicians who might want Bezos to pay more taxes or pay his employees more they might be biased and Brzos' economic interest may come into play..

This did not apply to Hillary who would like to keep the status quo in genral and certainly wrt to Bezos, a big supporter. Trump may not like Bezos, but as a fellow billionaire his economic views tend to align with Bezos.

Deji McGever likes this.
  13. biff17

biff17 Member

You came off like the post could not be trusted because of Bezos.

What did they say that was false about Ocasio?

i like her and think we need more like her but she does say some wrong things from time to time.

You come off as the same as the people who believe Trump can do no wrong.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I like that AOC pulled an Elizabeth Warren and claimed to be 1/1024th Jewish in an attempt to impress a synagogue during the start of Hanukkah

15. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

No one in this era should be righteous in defending the conflicts of interest between the corporate media and it's business relationships and subsidiaries. While the problem is widespread and unprecedented, the Washington Post is more conspicuous in this regard than even NBC, FOX, CNN, or the NY Times due to Bezos' relationship with the federal government.

In the case of Jeff Bezos, it's the conflict of interest of being the CIA's exclusive web host for a contract that pays him more than double what he paid for the WaPo, and within five years inventing a class of hosting in order to get federal contracts that is now a near monopoly.

Because of this has a cozy relationship with the federal government and his paper has become extremely orthodox in reporting establishment narrative -- it is rarely critical of the intelligence community, Department of Defense, or their contractors, which pay Bezos way, way more than the advertising revenue that the Post makes. That conflict of interest has been pointed out, and is the subject of a lawsuit where despite claiming they avoid political or controversial ads, and rejected ads for the Catholic Diocese, PETA, a Milo Yiannopolus book, the ACLU, and a disability non-profit, who were all too controversial, but ran a law school ad prominently showcasing Black Lives Matter Signs, an OK Cupid #DTF ad campaign, and and countless ad space featuring the warplanes and military equipment of countless military contractors.

This relationship is also why in the five years since Bezos bought the WaPo, it has become common for the paper to run stories based on leaks supplied by "unnamed officials" containing unverified or unsubstantiated claims, which is propaganda by any other name. One can be reasonable assured that nearly anything published by the Washington Post in the age of Jeff Bezos is going to promote the narrative of federal agencies.

That the "unnamed senior officials" that supply this narrative are not fans of Donald Trump shouldn't be a surprise, but it also does not follow that it would need to require that a critic of this conflict of interest would need to be a Trump supporter. Hell -- he's actively making the problem worse. Had you not lived in the 60s, and 70s, or even early 80s, you might be forgiven for not knowing the FCC once enforced strong laws regarding conflict of interest in news reporting, rather than working as lapdogs to corporate interests. It was an issue long before he was elected and will continue to be one long after he's gone, but make no mistake, every administration from Reagan to Trump has helped corporations veer further and further from any accountability for a truly free and independent press.

Nook likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I always thought Jewish was more a religion than an genetic trait

Rocket River

17. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

It's a tribe with very specific rules for membership. Conversion to Judaism is one of those ways, and so is being born to a Jewish mother...and that's it.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Take that up with her, she's the one that claimed that she could "sense it" with regard to her alleged Jewish ancestry.

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

There isn't bigger clown than Trump but she's close.

20. glynch

Yes, the Post must be taken with a grain of salt when opining or even reporting on things that might affect Bezos' fortune.
    Of course Ocasio Cortez does say wrong things from time to time.