1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

German Chancellor Angela Merkel announces she will stand down

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Oct 29, 2018.

?

What is better in your view, Nationalism or Globalism?

1. Nationalism

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Globalism

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Angela Merkel has announced she sill not stand again as a candidate to lead her party and will not run for a fifth term as Chancellor when her term ends in 2021.

In addition to being the top leader of Germany, she is also the most influencial figure in the EU as well. Her pending withdrawal is truly world-class news.

This has been substantially caused by the globalist left's effort's to impose open borders and a social agenda of "Political correctness" on the people of Europe, who are now pushing back at the ballot boxes, even in Germany.

They do not want this.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So humanity has only two options? There's globalism (defined by you narrowly in social terms, versus what it has meant for global capitalism -- kinda shocking, given your past schtick) or nationalism (defined by me as a really stupid anachronism from the 19th century that necessarily birthed two absolutely horrific wars). If those are our only options, God help us all.

But yeah, with 7+ billion people with a number of truly global problems to solve, we have to figure out a way to work together. Otherwise, it seems obvious we'll head for a new Dark Ages.

ryan_98 and JayGoogle like this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So you are an advocate of globalism. Is anyone here surprised? I certainly am not.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

[​IMG]

CDU is the center party SPD and Greens are more left. AfD is the right wing party. So I am not sure what your point is. Pretty much all the German parties would be label communist and very liberal by the Republicans here.

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Funny how you just proved B-Bob's point. Is anyone here surprised? I certainly am not.

DudeWah, Eric Riley, Yung-T and 7 others like this.
  7. B-Bob

No, I am an advocate of nuanced thinking in a complex world. Your poll presents a false and I would say even dangerous dichotomy. Embrace the lessons of history.

Back to ignore. I tried.

DudeWah, Eric Riley and Yung-T like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Basically.

The only way humanity grows up and reaches higher heights is through a type of global cohesion. I don't know if you call that globalism or whatever. I do know that closing down borders as tight as you can and taking an "Every country for itself' mentality is bad for all of us.

Nationalism has done literally nothing for our world but give us wars. Change my mind.

It's pretty terrifying that so many on the right are now using the term 'nationalism' as something to strive for.

Eric Riley, Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So we have quite a few supporters of globalism posting here in this forum. This is hardly breaking news.

Own it if that is what you believe.

10. B-Bob

Cold comfort: it's happening everywhere. It's like the species sees trouble all around and decides it will accelerate its own demise.
    Or perhaps it collectively senses that the world cannot supply a population heading north of 8 billion so it collectively finds a fast way to greatly reduce said population. I have no idea what's going on, but we live in the age of the amygdala for sure. I'm convinced that whatever forces make road rage so prevalent now are also fueling FOX viewership and the ignorant, fearful cries for nationalism. SMDH.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

She is 64 years old
    If only the American Ancient Fossils would follow her example
    but they are too busy trying to hold the reigns of power until it is ripped from their cold dead hands

Rocket River

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Make no mistake, that is effectively what Merkel has done as well. The recent electoral failure of her party and her globalist platform in Germany have eroded her political support to the point where she is now at the end of the road of her political career. A road of her own making, by the way.

Merkel is not going out on top here. She is effectively being shown the door by the people of Germany. At least she is gracious enough to accept that and be grateful for the four terms as Chancellor she has had the privilege to serve.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think he's an advocate of not being lazy with thinking and deciding that there are only 2 solutions to issues.

Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, and you support a political ideology advocated by Hitler...

But if globalism means unity around the world and the peoples of the world making the Earth a better place so that we, as humans, can strive for more...than yes. I'm a globalist.

When you are ready to discuss the ideas behind each ideology and the nuance then get back at me. Until then, continue to hide behind your terms.

Unfortunately, it's proving that humans are entirely short-sighted.

The move away from 'globalism' (I'd argue that's not what we've had...) is sparked by a struggling economy worldwide and the corruption of many governments thanks to the rise of major international companies.

So you have people in America worrying about the loss of jobs...hard labor jobs...that companies are sending elsewhere. Distraught about the loss of coal jobs, factory jobs, etc etc. We are not moving forward because so many people are focused on what's behind them. Instead of investing in coal we could, as a country, invest in new sources of energy that would bring us new jobs and set an example for the world. We're not trying to think of new ideas, we're not trying to adapt, instead, we are looking backwards.

Here is the thing, Nationalism has been around for most of civilized human history. It was the standard as we didn't have planes, the internet, etc etc. So countries fended for themselves. It's why we've had so many conflicts because eventually...no matter how strong a country is, it faces difficulties. Then we know what happens, it looks for more resources and looks to expand...and does so violently.

Post the two world wars was an almost 'aha' moment for world politics. Then, people decided we should focus on international pacts and motivation for unity. Since then, the world, as a whole, has had LESS conflict. The creation of the EU meant that different cultures and peoples would work together instead of being at each others throats for power and resources. Unsure why people would want to move away from this.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Posts like these make you wonder if MojoMan is just a troll or a Cesar Sayoc/Jesse Lee Peterson level IQ individual.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

wow it's like he's talking to a brick wall. what fantasy world do you live where everything must fall into one of two camps with no overlap? is that how you look at all complex issues, either black or white with no grey in between? that must make decision making quite easy for you but also makes you astonishingly lazy.

your mentality is exactly what is wrong with modern day political discourse - there's absolutely zero nuance or wiggle room when trying to tackle incredibly complex issues. you'd rather label people and ideas with broad strokes simply so you don't have to do any critical thinking and hurt that tiny little brain of yours. tribalism at it's finest, but that's what you want right - easily identifiable markers so you can keep up this ridiculous "us vs them" charade bc it makes you feel better.

Yung-T, JayGoogle and B-Bob like this.
  17. B-Bob

Ya know, he appeared historically when another, funnier poster (T_J) went on a sort of hibernation, so I used to think Mojo was an alternative account, as he has nearly the same views as T_J. These days, I think it's not as likely, as T_J regularly dines with Mexican industrialists and, you would think, supports, at least, vigorous global trade.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

2021 should be enough time to see how brexit will shake up.

I'm sure the Russians and their bigly cronies are pleased

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If they are the same person, someone hook homie up with a few scratch lotto tickets.

High Life ain't easy!

20. Raz

Raz Member

WTF is this? Merkel not running for another term in 2021 has to do with a lot of facets, but for sure not a general debate about Nationalism and Globalilsm.