1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is it ok to boo a comedian?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Oct 24, 2018.

1. body slam

body slam Member

If a comedian is not funny or tells a bad joke is it ok to boo?

I enjoy going to comedy shows. Some comedians are not as funny as others and some just suck. It is always stated in one way or another not to heckle the comedian. Is booing heckling?

RasaqBoi and Houstunna like this.
  2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Don't boo a comedian just because you don't find them funny

Juxtaposed Jolt, Yung-T, Dgn1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

i thought it was encouraged. in the immortal words of a legendary audience... "boo thith man!"

[​IMG]

maybe @Another Brother can chime in.

BigShasta, seclusion and donkeypunch like this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Yes, if he sucks.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I'd like to think this goes without saying. Standup seems like the hardest thing ever. Just not laughing will be punishment enough. I don't understand why you would boo. Go to the bar and say "I'm going to need a free drink if you don't want us to request a refund for this comic."

But no need to torture the person on stage.

If you screw up at work, do you want the most negative and public feedback possible, or would you rather it be handled with just a touch of humanity, LOL. "@body slam, get in here! Now, in front of 100 coworkers, I'm going to tell you exactly how badly you screwed up and then we're all going to yell at you until you leave the building!"

@Another Brother may have thoughts on this, as our resident successful standup comic and standup guy.

6. omgTHEpotential

Seems like a douchey thing to do. If you don't find the jokes funny, don't laugh or leave. If you do boo, you ruin the show for other people in the crowd who might have been enjoying those jokes. You're also screwing the comedian over, he's just trying to do his job, even if he's terrible at it.

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I would just not laugh. Only time I would boo a comedian is if they were telling a really crummy joke about something like cancer or something.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would never boo them, I would just do nothing. Silence from a crowd is far worse than boos. As an entertainer if the crowd hates you they are still getting something out of it.....if they are completely indifferent to you....worst case scenario.

fattz likes this.
  9. VanityHalfBlack

The crowd doing nothing makes it incredibly awkward. It's a comedy show, the point is to react good or bad. It's not suppose to be a safe space.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Only losers boo someone else doing their job. Just get up and walk the f out if you don't like their work.

Canadiandude and LFE171 like this.
  11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yeah I am not a fan of booing unless they aren't trying. If they are putting an effort I think it is kind of disrespectful to boo. Even at sporting events unless the team just not trying I am not a fan of booing. Playing bad should not be a reason to boo.

Yung-T likes this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I saw a comic in corpus that was making jokes about beating up his sister or something when he was little. I wanted to boo that weirdo but held back.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes, it's heckling. If I were a comedian, I'd be much more bothered by silence than booing. Booing shows they're getting to you. Just don't laugh. Seems to me that this would be way more painful to a comedian.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What are you gonna get out of booing? If that's what is getting you off you've got problems.

Major and theimpossibles1 like this.
  15. VanityHalfBlack

They paid for the show though, so? If you're sensitive from booing, shouldn't be a comedian now should you?

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I agree with those who say you just don't laugh/clap, or if its really bad just leave.

If many others have the same impression as you of the comic's routine and do the same thing, the comic will know his stuff sucks. If you are in the minority in disliking it, and you're the only person booing then you are kind of ruining the show for the rest of the room.

theimpossibles1 and B-Bob like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've been at a show like that before. The comic IMO was just brutally awful, he was an Indian guy whose entire shtick was that he did a goofy stereotypical Indian voice to try and boost the punch line of every lame ass joke he told. I didn't enjoy any of it, but a lot of the crowd was eating it up. IMO it would have been dickish if I boo'd or heckled the guy while so many others were eating up his shtick. There's just no reason to ruin other people's entertainment simply because it's not your thing.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Another Brother likes this.
  19. VanityHalfBlack

You guys are confusing me? Are we booing as a collaborative effort here or it's just you that don't find a certain comic unfunny? If you want to heckle a comic, go for it. If everyone seemed to enjoy a certain comic, I guess don't be a dick and don't say anything.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No.

Comedians know when they are not connecting with the audience.