1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Ennis Out With Hamstring Strain; MCW to Start vs. Jazz

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

what IF MCW goes for 15/7/5 tomorrow and 50% shooting? jc what the haters would say

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

MDA is no fool. We are currently 25th in the nba defensively. Melo got DESTROYED by Utah about 6 months ago and they had to bench him in favor of Grant. Now everybody wants MDA just to roll him out there again, when the Utah series destroyed any reputation he had left. Why torture the poor guy with iso after iso. He is older and his feet are even slower.

He is starting MCW because he is our best available wing defender. I wouldn't care if he started GG or Clark. But by throwing Melo out there against Utah's starters, MDA would only humiliate him further.

At this stage of his career Melo is a at best a reserve on a title contending team. I dont see what the big deal is.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'd be fine starting GG... as I mentioned...

at least then you could say to Melo that GG has been here since last year and knows the system better, while Melo is still getting acclimated... blah blah blah... that would be reasonable...

but to start MCW - that's just an insult to a dudes ego... the guy is a 10 time all-star who chomping at the bit to get in the starting line up and try to resurrect his worth - and you're gonna opt to go with MCW? just insulting....

It's about managing these guys psyches... you need them pumped for the long haul - not feeling disrespected...

Look at how Ryno's confidence went to crap last year and he became totally worthless... I'm not putting that blame on MDA - but he sure didnt pull Ryno outta the nose dive...

#123 kjayp, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. bmelo

bmelo Member

We went from g7 with warriors in wcf to starting MCW at small forward. Damn it hurts

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  5. Nivos

Nivos Member

Ariza was pretty awfull since game 1 in Phoeinx. 4-19 from the field and really bad D.
    CF would go on rampage if we would pay him 15 mil a year.

BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you should PM Morey, I think you are onto something valuable here

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he has a ton of potential, havent you watched the preseason games? MCW was excellent

You just cant win with clutchfans,

1 before they were blaming dantoni for not expanding rotation and 'developing' the bench
    2 now they are blaming him for playing scrubs

1 before they were blaming rockets for even considering an option of starting melo
    2 now they are blaming rockets for not starting carmelo

BaselineFade, BigShasta and RudyTBag like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1 not a MCW fan but he showed a lot of promise in the preseason,
    2 had MDA not played him you would see a lot of CAPS threads around condemning dantoni for being stubborn and not willing to expand the rotation and develop the bench

BigShasta and fattz like this.
  9. bmelo

bmelo Member

yeah he was I liked him much. But putting underachieving guard on starting SF spot only shows our regressed depth and it's frustrating

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thats only your perception, theres absolutely no reason you for you not to enjoy games and expect good things to happen and everything ending well...

this season is very exciting and every fan needs to find the reasons to enjoy games even when not every shot is falling...when injuries happen or refs screw up...there is no substitute for positivity

imagine if we obtained lebron and were crushing all the opponents... games would be less fan and every victory would not be as satisfying and sweet

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We've had worse seasons, I dun need to enjoy, suffering with the team could also be a strong bond.

As they say.

For better or for worse. Until _ do us part.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah! this is how you do it!

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. PeppermintCandy

Off tangent, but Cato might have been a good backup C on this team. Not the most basketball savvy, but he had shot blocking ability and ran the court fairly well, IIRC.

As for MCW, I'm still holding out hope that he turns the corner. Aside from a broken shot, he has a lot of qualities to make him valuable to a team.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Promise, dude minutes were cut because he's been terrible. I thought he would do a lot better here but unfortunately he can not shoot or play any defense.

If this is the way they want to play Melo, they shouldn't have brought him here on the first place.

15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I understand the psychological advantage it could give Melo if they start Melo. I think he would score more points, and probably become a better team mate. He would be more engaged.

Just be prepared to give up plenty of 40 point 1st quarters. If we have to start him just because of his ego, then be prepared for what comes it. If you start him, and our defense gets even worst, no one here can complain.

If we trade for an impactful 2 way wing, try telling Melo to go back to the bench. Melo could split the locker room. Look at his history with previous coaches. It rarely ends well.

I get that starting MCW is not what we hoped for, but its just 1 game. Ego will replace MCW at the 3 when CP returns.

Melo told MDA that he is willing to accept ANY role as long as it helped the team. If he cant handle just 1 game with MCW starting then we are really in trouble.

For me if it's Melo's ego vs our team defense, i choose defense.The goal is to get back to championship level defense. Starting Melo in no way helps toward that goal.

Lastly, this is not prime Melo. If it were i could understand having to massage his ego. But this version of Melo has to come off the bench if we are serious about winning a title.

Who knows? Maybe MCW will surprise us tonight, and all will be well.

kjayp likes this.
  16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

In certain matchups MCW would make sense, but Utah is probably his worst matchup. I’m really scared to watch him drive wrecklessly towards basket into Gobert. It won’t be pretty. We need shooting against Utah, I’m on the Gerald Green or Gary Clark train.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Does it really hurt? More than a pimple on your nose? Be a man.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Hiding him until the deal they desire is completed. :cool:

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I.D.N.D.I.O.T.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I mean...MCW ok but like the bottom of the depth chart has to fill in with the bench. Hartenstein needs to keep logging minutes. Gary Clark needs to get 5 more in, even if it's just to learn to quit fouling. This team could SUPER use a bruiser at PF right about now, even if it's not stylistically on point. Seriously wish Qi was making himself an option these days, his defense would help.

snowconeman22 likes this.