1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Shanghai Sharks @ Rockets 10/9/2018 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 9, 2018.

1. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Jimmer for MVP. Haters going to hate.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

New version of the step back for the 18' season

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Gary “baby Melo” Clark

Caboclo needs to be a center.

Ennis > Ariza

Glad Qi is ok, has to be disappointing knowing this is probably your big exposure moment of the year...make a good block...then have Scola hit the floor in preseason and jack up your knee.

I couldn’t decide if they were just beating a clearly inferior team or if this really is just the rockets. They’re going to maul a lot of teams this year.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. alethios

alethios Member

:eek:

DonKnock likes this.
  5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ahhhh i feel like that scene from Semi pro when they did the alley. Like that should be a foul or something. Lmao like i dont know what to say. Harden this aint right. Im watching that none stop. I cant tell if they will Allow that

#285 mike2k132, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    don grahamleone and DonKnock like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

its basically the same as gathering for layup but not going forward. legal move

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

41 points on 40 shots.

[​IMG]

8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I need expert advice. Its just something ive never seen

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

@basketballholic

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

He wasn’t bad tonight but I would just like to point out that I don’t think Gerald Green is as good a defender as Corey Brewer, so if Gerald Green doesn’t shoot well....

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

GG was never a good defender. he's here for the energy, hustle, and spark he can bring off the bench

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  12. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

He also played 48 minutes lol. They REALLY wanted to beat the Rockets :)

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He hurt Zhou Qi rolling across the back of his knee when he was scrambling for a ball. Looked ugly when it happenEd.

14. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Scola dominating in 40 minutes ha

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep, but in this instance he seems to be traveling because he caught the ball while on the ground then he hoped then he jumped and shot...travel

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

that doesn't matter. the ball doesn't touch the ground. you can switch the ball to either hand when you're going up for a layup. legal

mike2k132 likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hmmm you may be right....i watched it in slo mo just now... ill check it again in the morning when i will be more rested and clearheaded..thanks for the expertise
    Edit: still think it may be travel because his feet were on the ground(when you are gathering your feet are in the air imho) when he caught the ball, then he jumped.. then he jumped again to shoot it

#297 hakeem94, Oct 9, 2018
  18. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

“Haters going to hate.”

19. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Some may not like playing the Sharks every year, but I love it. It's an exhibition. I love seeing the players go off. My favorite part of the preseason.

20. basketballholic

Same thing as a step back. Basketball genius. Who woulda ever thought that up?

This actually reminded me of something that happened to me way back in 1982 in high school.

I remember playing a game in 9th grade, freshman season. Nobody on our team could handle the ball except me. Nobody! They'd either travel, bounce it off their foot. Just no handles at all. The other guard that we normally had that could handle was sick that night and not there. We had one other guard/forward who could dribble into a jump shot but he couldn't pass to save his life and if he wasn't open to shoot it, he either got stuffed or he turned it over. The other guys were just big lugs with no discernable skills. They could run, catch, and lay it in. Take up space. Seal the basket. Nothing else. That was it.

We got up on our opponent about ten points in the 4th. How in the world that happened is beyond me. But it did. They finally figured out nobody else could handle the ball so they started trapping me, forcing me to give it up. I turned it over a couple times trying to dribble through the traps and they got layups before I figured out what to do. (Our coach sucked. Was a soccer coach and didn't know basketball. Our original coach had gotten a job at another school and left us right at the start of the season, right before the first game. Just a disaster situation.)

So I started taking the inbound pass, bringing it up the middle, then before I got to half court I passed the ball over halfcourt to one of my guys. They'd stand there with the ball, scared to death to dribble it because they were terrible handles and they knew they'd turn it over. I'd run over to them and take a hand off, pulling my defender to them and their defender. I was then trapped while my teammate ran to open space. LOL. I started whipping the ball around my back and then I'd throw it to whomever was open without a dribble, then repeat the same thing again until I scrambled the defenders up and could either get a layup or find a teammate open at the rim. That silly behind-the-back wrap around to myself without any dribble froze those two boys defending me. Just caught them by surprise. They were waiting to attack a dribble that never came. It was the silliest looking thing you ever seen. I was laughing at myself doing it. And after the game my buddy on the bench was howling laughing at how stupid it looked.

But dawg it worked. I kept running to the teammate I passed to, taking the handoff and doing that stupid silly looking wrap around straight into another pass while doofus and dummy defending me kept looking for the dribble to swipe. Throwing the ball right through them before they knew what happened, zinging it right past their ears, right above their shoulders while they had their arms out fumbling for the dribble.

Their trap was busted and we ran out the clock on them while getting enough layups and free throws down to close them out. This was in the 1982. No shot clock.

When I saw Harden wrap the ball around into the jumper that's what I thought of.

#300 basketballholic, Oct 9, 2018