1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Scoop B. Tato with another vote of confidence :eek:

mikol13, BigMaloe, mario elie and 5 others like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

JIMMY F***ING BUTLER

is that how this works??

Zboy likes this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea that is true and things like that are important as well. I cnat imagine losing Tucker and that not having an adverse effect on team chemistry.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I guess.

I concede.

5. j@amc

j@amc Member

Wow. Tucker is a good player and a great fit. While it's hard to find great fits, it's even harder to find great players.

Tucker + Gordon is a high asking price; I wonder if we could ask for Jones with Butler keep this down to a 4 player/ 2 team trade.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is starting to look like The Melo thread of last summer...we also have Potato Head replacemente in ScoopB lol

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not sure I follow the logic. Instead of turning to the likes of JaVale McGee and the other yahoo backup bigs they have employed they have a chance, in the playoffs, for those minutes ito be used up by potentially a top 20 player.

I honestly can’t think of something the warriors would like for us to do as an offense more than try to utilize Clint more. I guess maybe Melo leading us in shot attempts would be worse.

An already all time great team lost nothing and got what could be a HUGE game changer.

We made some moves that I like and think there is a path with what we have to be just as good as we were last year.

To me that’s not enough. Not advocating for this trade specifically, but I don’t think Morey feels like what we have is good enough either. Moves will be made.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

So now PJ Tucker is the entire key to us being a winning team?!? :eek:o_O

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Exactly. Versatile 3D players are key to making this thing work, and they are much harder to attain than most people think. Trevor Ariza got 15mill and that's the full extent of what he is. We were lucky to get Ennis, even though this offense gets those types of players paid 15mill. Someone that can slide from the 2-5, like Tucker, is even rarer and key to success against GSW.

Butler is better than any 3D player we have now, or ever for that matter. Is he enough better than Gordon and Tucker though? I'm not so sure.

Zboy and YOLO like this.
  10. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Nothing special. Simmons would love Butler to the Rockets and he is high on the Rockets.

joshuaao, DonKnock and Vivi like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Morey on the Rich Eisen show

That's a huge part of it. When there are players available, it's my job to look. The only way to beat USA Basketball is to have the 1B team. We need to have as much talent as possible. Sometimes it doesn't always work but it gives us a chance where as not having a highly talented squad, you might as well pack it in.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Oh my god, do have Jimmy Butler yet or what.

13. j@amc

j@amc Member

I am a fan and supporter of both Gordon and Tucker. They were fantastic last year, putting their egos aside and doing what it takes to win. . . I hate to lose either of them because they are class acts and terrific players. That said, against GS, Gordon has liabilities in switching everything. He gives up a lot of size. And Tucker does everything right but plenty of games, he didn't give us great scoring punch. Plus, Durant can shoot over him without hesitation. Neither of these guys are the indispensable key to beating the Warriors.

To beat them, you have to be able to be consistent from 3. Deny and switch to prevent easy looks. Crash the glass. Have some luck. And beat them one on one with baskets.

Butler would give us more size in matchup with Klay Thompson or Durant. He's a better scorer than Ariza and Luc combined. Do we lose some depth? Yes. Did we add some depth earlier in the off season? Yes.

If Morey made this move, I'd trust him.

#2113 j@amc, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Y2JT likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

well considering he doesn't come off the bench and is a starter, that wipes out what you're trying to say immediately

HP3 likes this.
  15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Perhaps the way to look at this is by ranking our "assets" in terms of what we would be willing to part with to facilitate a deal with Minnesota. Here's my ranking (1 = most willing; 6= least willing)

1) 2019 1st
    2) Zhou Qi
    3) Gordon
    4) 2021 1st
    5) Tucker
    6) 2023 1st

This represents our total basket of quality assets. Remaining assets including Llull, 2nd round picks, etc. would be throw-ins, and represent the fringe part of deal, rather than the core part of it.

I believe the line for the Rockets is currently below #4, meaning they would be very reluctant to include Tucker. I think Zhou has more value around the league than many assume, and could be considered equivalent to a mid-late 1st. He could be a good potential fit with Towns as a rim-protecting/floor spacing 4, and he's young and controllable for another 3 years.

I can't see us including that 2023 1st, as that would have real potential to bite us down the road.

Perhaps the reason I could see the FO being willing to include Tucker would be as a way to save on luxury taxes. Still don't like it, but it's a reality we may have to accept.

Why not? and OmegaSupreme like this.
  16. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Thanks to @cyberx for answering our chants. We now must sacrifice an animal to appease the Info God.

DonKnock, hakeem94 and Snow Villiers like this.
  17. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Either Pringles was pumping up PJ’s trade value or he isn’t part of a Butler trade. I tend to agree with the latter.

18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

@cyberx give us some more inside sauces

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

They havent been able to use those 'yahoo bigs' against us (Javelle logged 3 mins against us last series) because our forcing the switch would leave them totally exposed... the same reason we cant more fully utilize CC against them (as you said GSW would love for us to utilize CC more) for the same reason...
    but if they put Boogie on the floor - it allows us to use CC as an offset and mitigate our exposure...
    CC > Post injury Boogie - whatever time they are both on the floor - is an advantage for us... so i don't think the addition of Boogie necessitates our making a major move - even if he comes around to be relatively healthy - and thats a big if....

So Boogie aside, you said:
    "We made some moves that I like and think there is a path with what we have to be just as good as we were last year" - well barring a CP3 hamstring injury - we had them beat.

So why take a gamble? Butler is a huge gamble... esp if it comes down to EGo + PJ... Butler walks after the season (to go play with Kyrie) and we have no real path to replace the loss of Butler or EGo/PJ... no bird rights to be utilized... all we have is mle and min contracts to offer... and Brandon Knights negative value contract as a salary match to put with whatever draft picks we dont give away to gamble on Butler....

If we do absolutely nothing more regarding our roster... i would call it a 50/50 shot at beating GSW - with injuries being the possible determining factor... and I think Morey can do some minor tinkering to shift those odds a little bit in our favor - and I think we will hold that footing for the next 2-3 years... and GSW will have some free agency concerns to address next offseason - then it gets real interesting... lol ;)

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Vivid

Vivid Member

I think he means that defensively, we would love to have Boogie out there covering our pick and roll action. They didn't put Javale or a traditional 5 out there against us. They went small with Looney at the 5, and he did a decent job checking Harden. Not saying Boogie doesn't help them, but he helps us more on the defensive side than he helps their offense. Cousins iso over KD? Yesss please!

Vivi, DonKnock and clutchdabear like this.