1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You've done this before. And people jump on you because I'm right, right, right.

if the Rockets send either Brandon Knight or Marquese Chriss to another team NOW, that's okay; but no other Rocket can be sent with that player to that team. Send Brandon Knight and some combination of draft picks to Sacramento? Check....but not, say, Knight + Nene.

(Here I think I'm still right, but someone can step in.) Hypothetical: Three- or four-team deal with Knight to Sacramento and Chriss to Miami? Fine. As long as no other Rocket under contract goes to Sacramento or goes to Miami.

luckyman76, BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DonKnock likes this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

C'mon, Don... yer a reasonable poster, you can admit you overstated...

The dude may not have been 100% on point 100% of the time over the course of 47 minutes... but to say he was "torched defensively" while he was out there is fully misrepresenting his contribution... I dont need to look at any 3rd party analysis - I watched the games... dude was all over guys during the fullcourt presses, he was hustlin, he was playin overall reasonable team defense.

At minimum, you have to agree to characterize 47 mins over the course of 2 games as "extremely spot minutes" is wholly overstated.... and fwiw, Nick Young played 34 mins over those 2 games...

Look man, I hate MDA's short rotations too... but lets not throw GG under the bus... yer better than that.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

They will at most get 3 out of 4 of vets, prospects, picks and cap relief.

There's a part of me that thinks we are in the drivers seat. Teams with cap space next summer don't want to give up significant assets to trade for him. Non-competing teams dont want to give up assets for him, knowing he will walk. So that leaves playoff teams without cap space.

Houston has all of its picks, high quality vets, a few young prospects and the proven ability to execute complicated deals (3rd team to take back Dieng). It's just about finding the right value.

I'm a little skeptical of Miami. Not saying they won't get him, but all of their guys are overpaid.

mikol13, BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  5. kjayp

Screw Tomball Jimmy! If he wanted a deal done in such an all fire hurry, maybe he shouldn't have undermined his 'buddy' Thibs by screwing any leverage Minnie woulda had by splashin his crap all through the media...

More and more I'm totally disliking this dude...

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, Tyler's contract occurred to me after I posted it. Will the Wizards offer Oubre for Butler, I wonder? I don't know who else could they throw in to fit the numbers.

7. mario elie

mario elie Member

Who's to say Thibs and Butler are all that close. And the more that's revealed about the behind-the-scenes reality of the T-wolves organization, I can't say I blame him for wanting to bail. Now, I will say that the timing of this is strange. But I've always like JB's game. Hope he ends up in H-town.

8. kjayp

Here's what I'm reading... along with all the quotes of when Thibs acquired Jimmy from Chicago - and it was touted as such a great pairing due to their close relationship...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24811508/timberwolves-asking-price-holding-jimmy-butler-trade

Throughout trade talks, Minnesota Timberwolves president and coach Tom Thibodeau has continued to try and recruit Butler to ease off his trade demand and return to practice with the team, league sources said. Butler has yet to attend a Timberwolves workout and wants to sit out until the franchises executes a trade for him.
    So far, there's been no team close to willing to meet Thibodeau's massive return for a Butler deal. Butler can become a free agent in July, and teams recognize that he's already asked for a trade from Minnesota and a coach that he's enjoyed a long, prosperous and close relationship with -- and Butler could be a risk to leave them in summer free agency. Butler, 29, wants a trade, and a full five-year, $190 million contract extension with a new team, sources said.
    I agree JB is a great talent. i was onboard to give up EGo and PJ to get him... but this dudes attitude and squirrely actions have really given me cause for concern...

we have a good tight knit squad now... i think Melo will finally be happy being a team player... I question if adding this glory hound to the mix is really going to help us - or hurt chemistry and team play...

I know JB keeps talking about 'desire to win...' but that doesn't really jive with his top choices being Knicks, Nets and Clips... Actions speak louder than words... and this dude is throwing up red flags all over the place as being a diva...

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i never realized Jimmy B was such a diva.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Minnesota was never going to recoup the amount of assets they gave up to get him. That's just not realistic. If the asking price is as steep as being reported, Thibs is literally trying his best to keep him. The clock ticking on this is a bigger risk for Minny than any other team. They have no leverage (even if Butler hadn't come out, they wouldn't have leverage) simply because Jimmy is a free agent. If he doesn't get traded and decides to come back and gets hurt, that'll be Minnesota's loss.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not sure if he is but his stock took a hit the second he went to the Timberwolves, just bad for him he got traded.

He is an Allstar alright but one of the Allstars that is a mediocre long range shooter.

And he has a below average wingspan.

12. RightTooCensor

Quality Vets: Eric Gordon and Nene

Top Prospects: Zhou Qi

Future Assets: Unprotected 1st + Future Protected 1st

Cap Relief: Eric Gordon and Nene have two years left on moveable contracts, Zhou Qi is owed $4.7M for the next three years

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

We need Jimmy Butler to win the Championship. Without Butler, we can't.

I wish Melo will lead the nba in scoring, but just a wish.

GS healthy Hampton 5 will use fast pace to kill Melo .......

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I was too.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Butler just doesn’t have time for soft dudes like Fred Hoiberg, Wiggins, and KAT

Aruba77, BigMaloe, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He likes them hard...:eek:

Bobsputin likes this.
  17. kjayp

I'm not disagreeing with anything you're sayin... but you have to agree that anytime a player publicly expresses his unhappiness and demands to be traded - it's going to result in other teams lowballing...

If JB had kept his mouth shut and Thibs had the ability to go to teams and say 'I really want to keep Jimmy, he's my guy and all, but KAT is the future... and they're just not meshing (wasnt there something about a gf?)... so if I can get a good deal - I'm gonna haveta let him go...' he'd have a much better chance and getting an acceptable return than he is gonna get for a guy that has demanded a trade and refuses to show for practice...

Am I wrong?

I was all yippy skippy on gettin Tomball Jimmy until he started talking about his top choices being Knicks, Nets and Clippers - that told me he aint really about winning...

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

If you don't want to listen to objective third party then you're not going to listen to me.

19. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Learning difference, comprehension skills, trolling, or maybe toffeeone’s cf account isn’t broken and he can’t see anything responses to his posts. Can’t tell yet

20. rockets13champs

Why can’t we flip Chriss for a 1st then attach 2 1sts to Eric Gordon for Butler

PatBev likes this.